Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .223 Wylde headspace gauges

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LRRPF52 View Post
    If you're buying from Peasant-grade suppliers, then it might make sense, but why bother buying barrels from those sources anyway when you can get a well-engineered pipe from people that are way ahead of the power curve when it comes to headspacing.

The headspace would have to be insanely off to generate the kind of case stretch at the web you're talking about.
    Exactly. Gauges like this are a huge waste for the average guy. Too little headspace will become apparent when you can't eject a live round... Or when a live round won't chamber.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I was taught if you are using a well worn bolt and a new BBL/Extension or visa/versa would be be a time to use a gauge. But with new parts no need, as unless you have a pile of bolts and bbl's to swap around there's nothing you can do anyway. I can see if you are an Armourer for LE or such it wouldn't hurt to check though. Quality parts = AOK
    I'm a firm believer in "Truth" "Justice" and "The American Way". But, "The American Way" in which in I believe, is of "Days Past" probably before I was born. As this concept is always "evolving", I can't say I like where it is headed. Dan.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    DD, Respectfully........

If a bolt closes on the above mentioned FIELD gauge the headspace is already greater than your dimension of 1.4736, which is the rejection limit, no need to check any further.

No need to enlighten you, I have read some of your posts and I know you are intelligent and capable.

LRRPF52.....

In regards to the headspace being insanely off to generate a case separation, maybe so with virgin brass, however in the interests of those who reload their brass more than a few times

and work their brass a bit I thought it best to mention it.

Even top tier manufacturers will make a mistake now and then, if you don't believe me ask IG. Why not head off any potential problems with an inexpensive insurance policy such as a set of headspace gauges ?

Come on guys, we cannot afford a couple of gauges for $60.00 ? Sure there are other ways to do it, but why bother when a gauge that is designed to do the job is available.

Headspace gauges are included in every line armorers kit, they are there for reason.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12