Thread: Barrel Installation Question (Barrel nut torque and indexing)

Feedback Score

Barrel Installation Question (Barrel nut torque and indexing)

Hey guys. A couple of days ago, I installed a Colt LE6920 SOCOM barrel on a Mega Arms forged, stripped upper receiver. I used the factory Colt Barrel Nut, lubed the receiver threads with Aeroshell 33MS, and torqued the barrel nut to 30 ft/lbs using a Geissele Reaction Rod, Magpul Armorer's wrench and Craftsman torque wrench. I loosened the nut and re-torqued 3 times to seat the threads (and inspected the upper receiver indexing notch each time). Each time was to 30 ft/lbs. To my amazement, after the Barrel Nut was tightened to 30 ft/lbs 3 times, I found that it was PERFECTLY indexed with the gas tube opening in the upper receiver. My barrel nut alignment tool from SAW is out for delivery as I type this, but in the mean time, I used a new gas tube to verify the alignment, and sure enough, the indexing is good and the tube is straight in the upper receiver channel.

My question is: Is the barrel nut good to go AT 30 ft/lbs? I understand the range is 30-80 ft/lbs, primarily to allow for further rotation of the Barrel Nut to properly index the teeth for the Gas Tube. I'm not sure if it would take the full 80 ft/lbs to tighten it to the next "tooth" (a full tooth of rotation), but I really don't want to do it if the nut is good to go at 30 ft/lbs. I have not pinned the gas tube, and will triple verify alignment with the alignment tool and Carrier tonight. Thanks in advance for reading and for the advice!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    You should be fine...the lower side of the torque range is better for accuracy as it puts less stress on the barrel.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    You're fine because you did it the right way and you KNOW that you have the full 30 foot pounds on the nut. Also, kudos for using the proscribed grease.

I'm a fan of not ****ing with alignment at this point. It might take another 30 or 40 foot pounds to get you to the next notch in the barrel nut. Not worth it. And, as the first reply stated, staying below 40 foot pounds is best for accuracy.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    SWEET! Thanks guys. Just got my Ejector Removal Tool, Front Sight Tool and Barrel Nut Alignment Tool from SAW; GOOD STUFF! Again, thanks!

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    You are just fine. You have the gas tube to prevent it from backing off.

More likely than not, to get to the next tooth will be waayyy beyond 80 ft/lbs.