Thread: Help me find barrel for my Precision/Varmint build

Feedback Score

Help me find barrel for my Precision/Varmint build

I plan on building a precision/varmint (not long range) AR15 upper. I need help locating a barrel. I will be using it with 40 grain to 69 grain bullets up to 300 yards (but mostly up to 200 yards)

Characteristics I would like:

20” heavy/semi-bull with target crown
    Rifle length gas system
    1 in 9” twist preferred. Slower twist from 1 in 9" to 1 in 12" OK
    Wylde chamber
    Nitrocarburized (melonite/QPQ/ARCOR/Tufftride/etc.) 4150 chrome moly preferred. But parkerized chrome moly or stainless OK. Chrome lined is not acceptable.

What sources have barrels similar to what I am seeking?
    Last edited by Brazos_Jack; 12-15-15 at 12:25. Reason: reduced requested requirements

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Help me find barrel for my Precision/Varmint build

This is not exact but fairly close

http://www.ar15performance.com/inc/sdetail/11562/12239

Same as this one

http://www.ar15performance.com/inc/sdetail/11562/12294

I have his 12.5 223 wylde barrel and it shoots MOA with my 1-6 scope. I just ordered an 18" one for a varmint gun because I picked up a Vortex HS-LR from cabelas on cyber Monday for $449 ($849 normally). I can give short accuracy review on it in a couple of weeks.

ETA: I've had two of his 6.8 barrels and they both were sub-MOA barrels with some factory Ammo and my hand loads. They're very nice barrels, especially for the price.
    Last edited by jmnielsen; 12-14-15 at 18:13.

Feedback Score
    I also recommend arperformance. I've got a 16" that I'm quite pleased with.

Sent from my Buckeye using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I've heard nothing but good things about AR15Performance. If I was building a 6.8 or a non-varmint 5.56 he would be my first stop. But I will almost exclusively shoot 50gr or lighter varmint bullets in this upper and I already have 2 fast twist 5.56 uppers. I should actually choose a 1 in 10" to 12" twist but decided to look for a 1 in 9" "just in case" I ever shoot any 69 grain.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Then I would just have black hole weaponry make the exact barrel that you want. Heard a lot of great things about their stuff and they'll make practically anything.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have had good luck with White oak.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have a RRA 24" bull barrel varmint barrel on a rig I screwed together. It shoots .3's with a 55 vmax. I know that is too much barrel for what you are looking for, but my wife's uncle has a RRA Fred Eichler AR. He says it shoots fantastic. I have another friend with a 20" RRA predator pursuit. I have seen it shoot very good groups out to 400 yards. Barrels run around $300. I got mine on some special and it was like $280 delivered. Wilson blanks, same as White Oak standard. WOP uses Shilen I think. I looked very very hard at WO as well. I think it came down to in stock at the time and on sale. I've never heard anyone talk bad about RRA accuracy. Wylde chamber as well. Mine is 1-12, but you can get 1-8.