Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: The VLTOR A5 thread - what doesn't it work with?

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    The "springy sound" could be what you sense when the action is moving pretty slowly and moving sensibly after the shot.

The opposite of that is when things move so fast, you sense them as one event.

Where was ejection to? 4:00 plus?

Between ejection angle, feel and sound, you should be able to get a feel for how quickly the action is cycling and if you need more/less buffer or gas drive.

I'd probably drop back to the A5H2 and call it good.
    Yeah it was a pretty consistent 4 o'clock. Only about 60 rounds were shot through it with the H3 and the bolt locked back after the last round in both of the mags, but it was actually so gentle when it did that I pressed the trigger again. I've been able to recognize when the bolt locked back after the last round for a few years and while I felt a difference with that last round, it wasn't as noticeable so I wasn't entirely sure it was empty and therefore pulled the trigger again. My wife is pretty small and therefore recoil sensitive which is why I put the A5 on the AR. I'll shoot it a lot more with the H3 to ensure it is reliable, but just figured I'd ask.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    I am in the process of an SBR build and still waiting on my Form 1 to clear. This thread has me thinking of switching to the A5 system. I am building a 300 blk with a Ballistic Advantage 8.3" barrel. So for the A5 system would the A5H2 buffer be a good starting place? I have seen some posts elsewhere stating that the A5 works great with SBR's but they always seem to neglect mentioning the weight of the buffer that they went with.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MJDGator View Post
    I am in the process of an SBR build and still waiting on my Form 1 to clear. This thread has me thinking of switching to the A5 system. I am building a 300 blk with a Ballistic Advantage 8.3" barrel. So for the A5 system would the A5H2 buffer be a good starting place? I have seen some posts elsewhere stating that the A5 works great with SBR's but they always seem to neglect mentioning the weight of the buffer that they went with.
    The 300 is under a different pressure curve. I'd go light and start with an A5H1.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    What about starting off with the BCM kit which has the A5H0? Or is that going to be too light? If it is too light would the sign be an ejection pattern more at the 2 o'clock position?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    What about starting off with the BCM kit which has the A5H0? Or is that going to be too light? If it is too light would the sign be an ejection pattern more at the 2 o'clock position?
    I think that would be perfect.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    What buffer does Ballistic Advantage recommend for that barrel? If it's a H2 carbine, start with an A5H2, If it's a 3 ounce carbine, start with an A5H0. You could just buy an A5H0 and an A5H4 and use them to make every standard weight in between them A5H0-A5H4.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tom12.7 View Post
    What buffer does Ballistic Advantage recommend for that barrel? If it's a H2 carbine, start with an A5H2, If it's a 3 ounce carbine, start with an A5H0. You could just buy an A5H0 and an A5H4 and use them to make every standard weight in between them A5H0-A5H4.
    That's a good idea. I sent BA an email to see what they recommend as far as buffer weights.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    That's a good idea. I sent BA an email to see what they recommend as far as buffer weights.
    I'm curious to if they respond. When I bought my 14.0" 5.56 carbine gas barrel from them, my questions about gas port size and recommended buffer weight went unanswered.

Edited to add: I'm not saying I have problems, my barrel runs great with a Colt H buffer and carbine spring. I just wanted to optimize my setup.
    Last edited by TexasAggie2005; 07-12-15 at 13:37.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    In my experience, and as others have posted on this forum, BA 5.56 barrels tend to be very conservatively gassed. I'll be curious to hear what they say. If you don't hear back, I would probably go with the BCM kit for a .300Blk if I were you. I'm just making an assumption that they would continue the same trend.

I love my BA setup, I'm sure you will too.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mig1nc View Post
    In my experience, and as others have posted on this forum, BA 5.56 barrels tend to be very conservatively gassed. I'll be curious to hear what they say. If you don't hear back, I would probably go with the BCM kit for a .300Blk if I were you. I'm just making an assumption that they would continue the same trend.

I love my BA setup, I'm sure you will too.
    Cool thanks. I will let you guys know what they say.

Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast