Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Open question... WHY go SBR?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlosDJackal View Post
    Because I can...

... and what Grant said. If God forbid, I have to respond to an Active Killer situation, the short barrel should make it easier to maneuver within a structure.
    I wish more people would jump on this wording instead of Active Shooter, as mass violence can take shape in forms other than a shooter. EDP's with swords comes to mind, or the knifings in Japan.

The SBR's balance like no others. They are absolutely awesome when it comes to tight areas. Tool in the toolbox. Mine has a light and an Aimpoint mounted, and I'm a helluva lot more accurate and confident with it than my handgun. I can do the job with my handgun, as its usually my primary everyday weapon. But if I know trouble's brewing and I have the chance to make the SBR my primary weapon, I'll grab it everytime. I'll take the accuracy of a proper SBR than a handgun anyday.

Feedback Score
    Given frag data for various rounds and chrono readings it is a legitimate question.

For me:

- IMHO it is the best house gun available and at these distances with the correct ammo it is effective.

- The ability to open a door that swings into me with the weapon shouldered - a nice tool to have in the box.

- b/c I can and I may not be able to in the future.

- Freeking cool toy.

I see it as the absolute wrong tool to have in hand beyond 100 yrds.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    For those that question why an SBR, need to really take a CQB fighting course. All questions will be answered.

C4
    Grant, I'm curious to know your opinion on three questions. And I think this post is perfect for it.

1) Is a 10.5/11.5" SBR a good SHTF rifle (provide you have quality/best parts etc.)?

2) Is a 10.5/11.5' SBR good to 100 yds for stopping power

3) Considering the 100 FPS difference, will the shooter see a difference in accuracy or stopping power between a 10.5 and 11.5 upper?

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by No Bananas View Post
    Grant, I'm curious to know your opinion on three questions. And I think this post is perfect for it.

1) Is a 10.5/11.5" SBR a good SHTF rifle (provide you have quality/best parts etc.)?

3) Considering the 100 FPS difference, will the shooter see a difference in accuracy or stopping power between a 10.5 and 11.5 upper?

1. Yes.
    2. Yes (depending on ammo and shot placement).
    3. Barrel length has zero to do with accuracy. 11.5 will be a more reliable weapon as the 1.5 inches give you more dwell time. If you are running a can, it matters not and would run a 10.5 (which is what I do). I routinely compete in 200-300yd shooting contests with people operating 16" weapons. They rarely win.

C4

Feedback Score
    3. Barrel length has zero to do with accuracy.
    Agreed and I have actually seen some empirical data that shows shorter barrels tend to be more accurate (all other things being equal). I've been told that that a shorter barrel tends to be less affected by barrel harmonics and other factors that can degrade accuracy. The operator will have to account for more drop and drift at extended ranges due to reduced velocity, but not at what I would consider practical ranges for a carbine.

Stephen

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by No Bananas View Post

I can hit 200 meter targets of hand with my 10.5". All the frag distance data and chrono data goes out the window in the real world, once you've seen the effects first hand on human tissue. I have never felt under gunned with 5.56 regardless of barrel lenght, if you know your zeroes and hold overs for your ammo you can still get far enough hits. Besides as a HD,SHTF weapon we're talking CQB. If you plan on shooting past 3-400 yards your sniping and I have a whole other weapon system for that.

Feedback Score
    This is all good stuff and I appreciate the folks who have brought up questions beyond those that I originally posed. Many thanks and feel free to keep them coming.

Feedback Score
    If you think about it, Short barrels are ideal for civilian and LEO use where the confines tend to be tight and the targets close. Speed and mobility are vital for the brief spurts of violence we encounter.
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    1. Yes.
    2. Yes (depending on ammo and shot placement).
    3. Barrel length has zero to do with accuracy. 11.5 will be a more reliable weapon as the 1.5 inches give you more dwell time. If you are running a can, it matters not and would run a 10.5 (which is what I do). I routinely compete in 200-300yd shooting contests with people operating 16" weapons. They rarely win.

C4
    Grant,
    Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. I've been told that H (H2, H3, etc) buffers can help slow the dwell time on the 10.5. I've heard from many on the net and at the range that the LMT 10.5 is very reliable. For some reason that extra 100 fps out of the 11.5 just keeps sticking in my head and pushing me toward the 11.5

Feedback Score
    Because their FUN & COOL......

I have a bit of CQ & Defensive training. I shoot a ton more.

I also own a few of these weapons not because of a ninja complex but because its plain FUN.

Plus it pisses off Dem Libs, this is COOL

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast