Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ICYMI: Magpul Gen 3 AK mags (steel reinforced)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

ICYMI: Magpul Gen 3 AK mags (steel reinforced)

See here:

http://www.magpul.com/products/pmag%...-m3?VariantID=

ETA: SHOT video http://youtu.be/Ndo2H_Z7eNM

At $27 MSRP I'm guessing after the hype these may be in the $22-$25 range. Not sure how that is going to work out in the AK community. I was hoping more for $15-$20 price point. I'll probably buy three for testing, but doubt I'll switch over all of my mag inventory.

To me, this AK mag doesn't really solve any issue other than weight savings (and maybe 922r compliance for some), unlike the AR mags which did solve some well known issues with USGI mags and did so at a very competitive price point.

Now, make a 20rd "Tanker" mag and you've got the attention of my checking account
    Last edited by buckshot1220; 01-23-15 at 08:39.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't suppose they're going to come out with Ranger Plates that fit these? I'm using old-school 5.56 Magpuls on my mags now, but they're a PITA to get on, and add a lot of bulk that can make getting in and out of mag pouches difficult.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    While they are double or more what surplus steel mags cost, it'll be worth having at least a few just to not have sharp edges that seem to come out of nowhere
    Owner of Aridus Industries. Creator of the Q-DC, CROM, ASA, and other fun shotgun things.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpyderMan2k4 View Post
    While they are double or more what surplus steel mags cost, it'll be worth having at least a few just to not have sharp edges that seem to come out of nowhere
    If that's your main concern, Primary Arms has the original (non-metal reinforced) Magpul AK mags for $10.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That would be worth having a few of those for general range use and a few reinforced ones for harder use for sure.
    Owner of Aridus Industries. Creator of the Q-DC, CROM, ASA, and other fun shotgun things.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cynical View Post
    I don't suppose they're going to come out with Ranger Plates that fit these? I'm using old-school 5.56 Magpuls on my mags now, but they're a PITA to get on, and add a lot of bulk that can make getting in and out of mag pouches difficult.
    I'm not sure I'd be into using ranger plates on an AK mag, due to the way you have to grasp it to perform a reload.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckshot1220 View Post
    At $27 MSRP I'm guessing after the hype these may be in the $22-$25 range. Not sure how that is going to work out in the AK community. I was hoping more for $15-$20 price point. I'll probably buy three for testing, but doubt I'll switch over all of my mag inventory.

To me, this AK mag doesn't really solve any issue other than weight savings (and maybe 922r compliance for some), unlike the AR mags which did solve some well known issues with USGI mags and did so at a very competitive price point.
    How can you say that it doesn't solve any issue!?

It's a DOMESTICALLY-PRODUCED AK mag that has every opportunity to perform as well as the best AK mags on the market...... It absolutely solves a problem; no reliance on imports.

Even if it does cost full MSRP, if it performs as well as Circle 10's, I'll buy nothing but these going forward.

Feedback Score
    54 (100%)
    Last edited by South; 02-14-15 at 11:19.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911-A1 View Post
    I'm not sure I'd be into using ranger plates on an AK mag, due to the way you have to grasp it to perform a reload.
    I don't touch the magpul when manipulating the mag in and out of the rifle, but they do make it easier to pull the mags from pouches.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inebriated View Post
    How can you say that it doesn't solve any issue!?

It's a DOMESTICALLY-PRODUCED AK mag that has every opportunity to perform as well as the best AK mags on the market...... It absolutely solves a problem; no reliance on imports.

Even if it does cost full MSRP, if it performs as well as Circle 10's, I'll buy nothing but these going forward.
    Actually, it it has been a LONG time since I've had to buy AK mags, so after doing some research I will admit I may be a little off in my initial impressions. Damn, I don't think I've ever spent for than $12 for an AK mag (except ((10)) mags) and now I see that is pretty much a steal! So, OK, these do fill a void. At $27, if these do perform well, I guess that is a decent deal and a weight savings.

As for 922r benefits, that is going to be different for each individual. I have some pre-89 guns that it doesn't effect at all and my post-89 guns are already compliant regardless of mag.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast