Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gerber Mulit-tools

Feedback Score

Gerber Mulit-tools

yeah im not starting this tread to have a mud slinging contest. i would however like to know if anyone has had one break on them for example the supension tool or an other for that matter. Another ? are they still made here in the US? so anyways say what you think. i have several gerbers and i haven't had a problem with them. Anyways i know about the Zombo dumbo thing i just wanted to here your viewpoints pros cons tools snaping like twigs in there hands made china those type of things. I ask this here because of the wealth of knowedge that you all have so post away and thank you for your time.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    my experience with gerber tools is limited to 3x Model 600 Needlenose (one is mine, one of my father and one of my sister) and 1x Model 800 Legend.

the 800 just suck: I broke the tungsten carbide wire cutter inserts so easily (so stay away from all models that have them!)... and the rubber grips came off after 2weeks.
    Its handle is made of aluminum but doesnt feel as sturdy as the 600 steel frame.

the 600 is simply bombproof! after 5yrs I still have to see it fails; its KISS design is a good thing.
    I was able to cut wires way thicker than the one that broke my 800 tungsten carbide wire cutter inserts.
    *** Damn Proud to Be an American Ally ! ***

The Armory:
    Colt 6601 - Colt 6731 - Colt 613 - Steyr StG.58 - M1 Carbine - Galil SAR - CZ Scorpion EVO - Franchi PA8 - Glock 17 - Pietta/Colt SAA 1873 - SA 1911A1 Mil Spec - Ruger LCP

Feedback Score
    i had the same expernices that you have had. id still be using my 800 series had i NOT taken it apart

had my 600 for at least 9 years

Feedback Score
    I started out with a gerber 600 and while I never broke it, I can't say that it was a phenominal tool. Mostly I just didn't like some of its limitations like the short screwdrivers. I now carry a leatherman core and I really like it because it is very versatile and durable. Yes I know about leatherman's politics and while I'm not happy with them on that they make such a useful tool that it's hard not to buy them. I can think of one instance of a gerber breaking is when my dad somehow popped one of the pivoting rivets on the handles. I guess if I were looking at a real tough tool I would consider the leatherman core or the victorinox swisstool. Also if you would like to learn more about multitools I would recomend going here. www.multitool.org

Feedback Score
    i went to that link that you put up all can say is that its a nice site. also the core is huge. i took a look at the surge and i just cant see caring around that other saw.

i guess the many point is that while you might have a mulit-tool on you its great for quick stuff but youd be better of using a real screwdriver set of plliers pry-bar and so on for hard work. Or as my grandfather says use the right tool for the right job.

Feedback Score
    not to change gears to much but i have a Swiss army knife Trekker that is just a beatiful knife
    http://www.swissarmy.com/MultiTools/...product=54874&

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Was given a 400 and its proved to be durable. Its become my general purpose tool for when I don't have the proper tool to use. If you know what I mean.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have a couple Gerbers, my Leatherman Wave is the only one that goes to Iraq. Lethermans use better grade stainless steel.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have to agree with Dave L. The Leatherman has proven to be more durable and require less maintenance over the long term. However, the quality of their lower end models have dropped in the last couple of years.

Feedback Score
    what wave do you have the 04 version or the original

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast