Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Horror Story: M&P 10 and S&W Customer Service

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Administrative note: This thread has been reviewed and discussed by management and with Henschman. It can remain open to allow discussion of the issues that OP is experiencing with the product he purchased, and any further developments or fixes that may develop. It is M4C's policy to allow such discussion and critical review of a manufacturer product's and policies as long as there is some foundation to it and it remains within site rules.

It is also M4C's policy to keep discussions about the topics and issues, not the members. Henceforth, let's keep the thread about the rifle itself.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    He also tried to get S&W to warranty the barrel FIRST. It wasn't until after they told him that they wouldn't give him a free barrel that he requested to purchase one.

*it's pretty sad that the Staff/Mods allow this garbage to remain open after all that has been exposed. I guess as long as the story keeps changing...
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    Gas port modifications have been something people have done for years. This should NOT have caused the barrel to split especially considering it did not split AT the sight of modification.

That said, I've seen other M&P10 pictures with the barrel split in the exact same spot. I've also seen reports of other people noticing the stamping marks inside of their barrels.

I would have expected Smith to replace the barrel too unless they could show proof beyond a doubt the issue was caused by the user.

So OK whatever, they use the "user modification" as an excuse to void the warrant. So sell him a new barrel, he was willing to pay for it.

I'm in the market for some flavor of AR-10 and given Smith is not supporting their rifles with parts, I won't be buying one now. Especially after seeing more than one picture of a split barrel and stamping issues.

I'm just going to build something using a Aero M5 receiver set so I know I've got something I can buy parts for.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    A couple of quick questions about the ring you noted seeing in the bore:

Quote Originally Posted by henschman View Post
    I did notice something strange about the bore though... there was, for lack of a better term, a "ring" around the bore halfway between the gas block and the muzzle. It looked like the same size and depth as a land of rifling, and appeared to me to be machined that way... .
    Can you confirm its location now that the barrel's split, and provide pics to get a better look at what you'd described and where it is? The ones you posted elsewhere give an overall impression of the aftermath, but the devil's in the details.

Henschmans Barrel.jpgHenschmans Barrel - 2.jpg

Given you referenced the ring appeared to be machined, said machining should now be more visible given the tube's split in half and you'll have better access to see it with proper lighting. Like the rifling, it's not likely going to disappear in a blast unless the area in question completely disintegrated.

Also, you indicated you'd received a letter stating that they were not going to warranty the repair because they believed the damage was not due to a defect in workmanship or materials. Did you reference this when you'd spoken with the senior engineer about it and question what they thought happened to it if it wasn't the result of lacking workmanship / materials? It seems like they would have been able to offer some sort of feedback regarding what they suspected actually happened to it... and given they had it for 2+ months, I'd wager it went through their onsite metallurgical lab - particularly if there were questions of product liability and warranty coverage - so there should be a report of their findings someplace...

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    OP's post changed from last time. He believed the so called ring was not due to the stamping issue.
    Every report of the stamping issue on the S&W forum has been taken care of by their warranty repair.

I bought an M&P 10 last year, intending to use it for hunting, as well as in the battle rifle/DMR role. I liked its light weight and longer barrel. When I first bought it, a member of another forum told me about a friend's rifle, and showed me a picture showing how the stamped text on the skinny part of the barrel apparently imprinted itself somewhat inside the bore as well -- he asked me if mine had any such issues. Upon inspection, I didn't see anything like the stamp imprint, but I did notice an odd ring around the bore in one place. It looked to be about the same diameter and height as one of the lands of rifling, but it was simply a ring all around the bore in one spot, about midway between the gas block and the muzzle. I found it odd, but didn't think anything of it because I had already fired the rifle, and it exhibited very acceptable accuracy and seemed to function OK.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Warranty issue aside, the refusal to sell him a barrel, which they chose to make proprietary and is available no where else, and insist he must buy a new gun has cost smith and wesson any future business from me. I see it as just plain shady.
    Dont sweat the small stuff.

If youre not taking fire, its all small stuff.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolt_Overide View Post
    Warranty issue aside, the refusal to sell him a barrel, which they chose to make proprietary and is available no where else, and insist he must buy a new gun has cost smith and wesson any future business from me. I see it as just plain shady.
    Please tell me which manufacturers are making somewhat new proprietary 308 AR rifles
    and also which of those manufacturers will and won't supply you with spare barrels when you obstruct yours and blow it up.

That way all of those manufacturers can be trashed across multiple forums.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SixEight View Post
    Please tell me which manufacturers are making somewhat new proprietary 308 AR rifles
    and also which of those manufacturers will and won't supply you with spare barrels when you obstruct yours and blow it up.

Pretty sure my HK MR762 falls into that category and its a heck of a lot better and more expensive than the M&P.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SixEight View Post

You misunderstand. My issue is, customer has their product, regardless of root cause, product does not work, business has part that will make product work, will not sell to customer, and insists customer must buy new product.

This, in my opinion is shady. I do not single out S&W, any business that feels that way would not get my money.

Then again, I usually avoid firearms that I cannot easily get replacement parts for.
    Dont sweat the small stuff.

If youre not taking fire, its all small stuff.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    OP is conveniently leaving out the comment in his first deleted thread where he found this so called ring NOT to be anything like the stamping issue. Maybe he is omitting this since the stamping issue is now being erroneously linked to the two obstructed blown barrels? As far as I'm aware, the stamping defect has NOT caused any barrel ruptures, only unacceptable accuracy and S&W has taken care of those defective barrels. The folklore of blown barrels is all over the net and being taken as gospel even though I've only seen two guys, counting this OP, that have had this occur AFTER FIRING WITH A BARREL OBSTRUCTION.

The devil is in the details and so far the OP has changed or left out different parts of his account. First, he acted as if he sent the rifle back hoping to get it repaired under warranty due to this mysterious ring (the most likely scenario, IMO ). Then after he was called out for leaving out the fact he bought the rifle second hand, it was operating terribly and he drilled the gas port, only then does he backpedal and say he asked first if they sold barrels before he sent the rifle back.

The other guy on TOS said S&W sent his barrel to Metlab for testing even though his rifle wasn't covered under warranty either. S&W did this at their expense without obligation to do so. I find it hard to believe S&W didn't also send this OP barrel to a lab but on TOS the OP insists they didn't test it. What isn't clear is if they told him directly they did not test the barrel. OP will not produce the letter he received or explain any further.

So you may say none of that matters even though OP has made it THE issue by posting it. He doesn't care if you believe his overdramatic, constantly changing tale. He won't even provide emails or letters to give himself more credibility. I will quote his original post below and you can decide for yourself.

You say S&W either should have replaced the barrel (on a rifle that has been through hell and high water...literally) not knowing what other work the OP has done or what parts were damaged by the kaboom. Or they should just pull a barrel out of production, shorten their WARRANTY supply just to sell to OP after he has literally abused the rifle. Or for any other guy that can't get his rifle fixed.

I predict when S&W does sell barrels...
    Either you guys will be on the net complaining they are too expensive or if they are affordable you will be complaining they are sold out and they should crack the whip on the line ASAP

Today's entitlement mentality...

Quote Originally Posted by henschman
    Have you ever heard that its dangerous to buy a firearm with a proprietary design, because you are stuck relying on just one company for replacement parts? I'm here to tell you that is a very valid concern, particularly with Smith & Wesson products.

I bought an M&P 10 last year, intending to use it for hunting, as well as in the battle rifle/DMR role. I liked its light weight and longer barrel. When I first bought it, a member of another forum told me about a friend's rifle, and showed me a picture showing how the stamped text on the skinny part of the barrel apparently imprinted itself somewhat inside the bore as well -- he asked me if mine had any such issues. Upon inspection, I didn't see anything like the stamp imprint, but I did notice an odd ring around the bore in one place. It looked to be about the same diameter and height as one of the lands of rifling, but it was simply a ring all around the bore in one spot, about midway between the gas block and the muzzle. I found it odd, but didn't think anything of it because I had already fired the rifle, and it exhibited very acceptable accuracy and seemed to function OK.

Fast forward to last year's Pecos Run 'n Gun... a 6 mile run through the desert in West Texas, with shooting stations along the way. I carried my M&P 10 for the event, along with my M&P .40 pistol. I was using Lake City 147 grain M80 ball for the event. The rifle shot great -- I shot the best time on several of the rifle stages with it. Now a little context -- this event occurred in the middle of the largest flood in living memory in that area, and there was some standing water to traverse. At one point in the course, I crossed some thigh deep water, even falling into a waist-deep hole at one point. After clearing the water, I retracted the charging handle and shook the rifle muzzle-down, just as a precaution against having any water retained in the bore (I was carrying the rifle slung across my chest in a "low ready" type position, and it did go partly under water during the crossing). When I got to the next stage, which involved a not-particularly-difficult 200 yard rifle shot, I fired a shot that I called good when it broke, but which did not score a hit. I also had a failure-to-feed malfunction. I cleared the malf and fired again... again calling the shot good but getting no hit, and having the same malf. The RO said that I was hitting way in front of the target, like 20 yards out. I disregarded this because I thought if it was a miss, it was a very close one and he must be mistaken. I fired another shot I called good... but this time I saw the mud fly in front of me from the bullet's impact, way lower than I was aiming, and again had the malf. Now I knew something was wrong, and began inspecting the rifle. Loose scope mount? Nope, it's tight. I then noticed the barrel. To my horror, it was split down the middle, with the split centered about halfway between the gas block and muzzle, and showing daylight all the way through. Incredibly, neither myself nor the RO noticed the split when it happened. Well, needless to say, that event was ruined, and I was unable to complete the rest of the stages. Other runners saw the rifle and thought that I must have plugged the barrel with mud. however, I never dropped the rifle or pushed the muzzle into the ground (it would have had to go in pretty far to not only plug up the flash hider but also the muzzle itself)... the worst I did was crawl under some barbed wire with the rifle cradled in front of me, getting a little muddy, and going through the water with it. Upon reflection, I thought about the strange ring in the rifle's bore, and realized that the barrel had split right at that point.

Now on to dealing with S&W's customer service. I called and was eventually able to reach a CS rep, who e-mailed me a return shipping label, and I sent the rifle off. About 2 months later, I received a letter stating that they determined that the split barrel was not due to a defect in workmanship or materials, and that they were declining to fix it under warranty. They did, however, offer to sell me a replacement rifle for $1100 and change. I called the rep whose name was on the letter, and asked how much a new barrel for the rifle would cost. I was shocked when he told me that they do not currently sell barrels separately for the M&P 10. I asked how much they would charge me to re-barrel the rifle if I paid for the work. He said he would have to check with management to see if this was even a possibility. After not hearing from anyone in a few weeks, I called, left messages, and finally heard back from one of their senior engineers who told me that his supervisor told him that they cannot replace just the barrel assembly on a rifle. I confirmed that they did not sell M&P 10 barrels. I said, somewhat incredulously, "so you won't warranty it, you won't fix it, and you won't sell me the parts to fix it myself? I basically have an $1100 paperweight?" He seemed somewhat embarrassed to have to give me this news. He said that he had no control over what management's policies were, and that if it were up to him, he would replace the barrel for a small fee. He said he was going to return the rifle to me.

So that's my situation. I have a broken rifle with well over $1000 tied up in it, with no way to either have it fixed, or to fix it myself. I suppose I put myself in that situation, by buying a proprietary design from a company that doesn't stand behind their products. Well, good job Smith & Wesson. You fooled me once. One thing is for sure though... I am not going to make that mistake again. Oh, and I'm going to be carrying a Glock from now on.
    Last edited by Waylander; 02-04-15 at 07:21.
    Do you even get down innagrass, bro?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast