Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department Purchasing A Large Number of Remington 870's

Feedback Score

Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department Purchasing A Large Number of Remington 870's

Here's an interesting press release. That's a hell of a lot of shotguns.

Press Release FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department Selects Remington® Model 870™ Pump Action Shotguns

MADISON, N.C., May 21, 2008 – Remington Arms Company, Inc., announced today it has been awarded a contract to provide the largest sheriff’s agency in the World – the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department – with 4,200 new shotguns. All shotguns within the contract are based upon the proven Model 870 platform, which addresses a number of law enforcement applications.

While meeting all technical requirements outlined by the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, Remington will supply 3,000 customized Model 870 pump shotguns to be utilized by county patrol deputies, 900 less-than-lethal shotguns, and 300 newly configured shotguns to meet the unique and demanding requirements of their motorcycle units.

“We are honored to be selected by such a prestigious organization as LASD to supply an array of application specific solutions based upon the most reliable shotgun platform today  our Model 870,” stated E. Scott Blackwell, Remington’s President of Global Sales, Marketing and Product Development. “The opportunity to develop and deliver in a timely manner three shotgun configurations essential to the specific needs of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department is something Remington is proud of.”

“Our entire law enforcement business development team focuses on truly listening to customer needs and providing solutions to help them meet the grueling demands of an officer’s role on a daily basis,” added Mike Chamberlain, Remington’s Vice President of Law Enforcement. “Partnering with All State Police Equipment Company of Los Angeles, Remington anticipates delivery to begin June, 2008.”

Since its introduction in 1950, nearly 10 million Model 870 shotguns have been produced. It remains the overwhelming choice for law enforcement divisions due to its historical dependability. Through numerous configurations and variants, the Model 870 platform is used for law enforcement, military applications and sporting purposes in more than 50 countries including the United States.

Link: http://www.remingtonle.com/news/pr15.htm

Joe Mamma
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Too bad they can't more rifles. Since I live in LA County almost every patrol car I have seen has had shotguns in them. I can only assume that they are possibly replacing some of their older weapons. Wonder why they don't consider doing some upgrades instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mamma View Post
    Here's an interesting press release. That's a hell of a lot of shotguns.

Press Release FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department Selects Remington® Model 870™ Pump Action Shotguns

MADISON, N.C., May 21, 2008 – Remington Arms Company, Inc., announced today it has been awarded a contract to provide the largest sheriff’s agency in the World – the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department – with 4,200 new shotguns. All shotguns within the contract are based upon the proven Model 870 platform, which addresses a number of law enforcement applications.

While meeting all technical requirements outlined by the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, Remington will supply 3,000 customized Model 870 pump shotguns to be utilized by county patrol deputies, 900 less-than-lethal shotguns, and 300 newly configured shotguns to meet the unique and demanding requirements of their motorcycle units.

“We are honored to be selected by such a prestigious organization as LASD to supply an array of application specific solutions based upon the most reliable shotgun platform today  our Model 870,” stated E. Scott Blackwell, Remington’s President of Global Sales, Marketing and Product Development. “The opportunity to develop and deliver in a timely manner three shotgun configurations essential to the specific needs of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department is something Remington is proud of.”

“Our entire law enforcement business development team focuses on truly listening to customer needs and providing solutions to help them meet the grueling demands of an officer’s role on a daily basis,” added Mike Chamberlain, Remington’s Vice President of Law Enforcement. “Partnering with All State Police Equipment Company of Los Angeles, Remington anticipates delivery to begin June, 2008.”

Since its introduction in 1950, nearly 10 million Model 870 shotguns have been produced. It remains the overwhelming choice for law enforcement divisions due to its historical dependability. Through numerous configurations and variants, the Model 870 platform is used for law enforcement, military applications and sporting purposes in more than 50 countries including the United States.

Link: http://www.remingtonle.com/news/pr15.htm

Joe Mamma

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    We did this a few years ago too... Both the LAPD and the LASD have used the Ithaca 37 / 87 as our primary patrol shotgun for the last 60 + years... The only reason we switched to the Remington 870 is that Ithaca Gun Company went out of business and we couldn't buy any more spare parts...

About three or four years ago we started phasing out the 37s / 87s in all of our patrol divisions and replacing them with 870s, although there are still some floating around in traffic divisions and other places... We gave most of our 37s and the remaining spare parts in our inventory to the LASD who limped along with them for a few years, but now they need a solution too, and they, like us, chose the 870 Police with rifle sights as their primary duty shotgun...

B
    MossieTactics.com ~ KMA 367

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Wonder why they don't consider doing some upgrades instead.
    Just curious... Like what???

B

Feedback Score
    In this day and age of getting away from shotguns and going to rifles again, why is the LASD and LAPD still working with 12 gauges?

I wouldn't get rid of them, but with the disadvantages they do have vs the advantages of M4's I would have figured they would have been a bit more progressive.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Does anyone know what the version is that will be given to motorcycle officers? I was speaking with some of our motor officers, and they were mentioning how much they would like a long gun on the motor. They were more interested in rifles, but maybe a shotgun would work.

Our problem is that the gun would have to be fully concealed, which would limit it to the saddlebag now. I couldn't think of a decent rifle that would fit in that space.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BC520 View Post
    In this day and age of getting away from shotguns and going to rifles again, why is the LASD and LAPD still working with 12 gauges?

I wouldn't get rid of them, but with the disadvantages they do have vs the advantages of M4's I would have figured they would have been a bit more progressive.
    What disadvantage??? They are both tools, and they both have their place... Several of our patrol officers have also gone to a 40 hour Urban Police Rifle school and can also deploy either a Colt M-16A1 or LE 6920, but these tools do not replace the patrol shotgun, they are just another option depending on the situation...

Quote Originally Posted by TroyTK View Post
    Does anyone know what the version is that will be given to motorcycle officers? I was speaking with some of our motor officers, and they were mentioning how much they would like a long gun on the motor. They were more interested in rifles, but maybe a shotgun would work.

Our problem is that the gun would have to be fully concealed, which would limit it to the saddlebag now. I couldn't think of a decent rifle that would fit in that space.
    Attachment 1070

The motor units have an external locking rack that mounts over the saddlebag in view of God and everybody that carries a standard 870 police with an 18 inch barrel and a side folding syntheric pistol-grip stock... The city of Simi Vally wanted a completely concealed shoulder arm for their motor units that would fit inside their BMW hard saddle bags, and they selected the IMI micro galil in 5.56... It fit inside the hard bag nicely...

B

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I didn't realize that they were still using the Ithacas. Most of the LASO vehicles I saw had M870's in there.

It would seem that having the guns refinished, repalcing sights, etc...may have been worth considering. It's kind of funny though that they won't put more rifles out there to augment the deputies, especially in the some of the more rural areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    Just curious... Like what???

B

Feedback Score

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by BC520 View Post

The 12 gauge shotgun is a very devastating urban weapon. Within 25 yards, you get pellets on target- any one of them can score a fight winning hit. Beyond that distance, you load slugs and have rifle-like hitting power with a 1 oz projectile. The shotgun is carried up front in the car because it is durable and easy to deploy.

Our Ithaca 37/87 shotguns have been carried a bunch but shot only a few time a year for function checks. Some older shotguns date back to the early 1960's, but are desirable due to short barrels. Compact and easy to employ within houses and other tight quarters.

The AR15/M4 platform has its own benifits......but I would never want to give up the 12 gauge for it. I carry both while working patrol, and understand the limits and capabilities of both weapons.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I have this feeling that demigod is going to make an appearance soon...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast