Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If you had to choose between Mk262 and Mk318......

Feedback Score

If you had to choose between Mk262 and Mk318......

....which would it be? I know the Mk318 is better at barrier penetration but the 77gr SMK at 5.56mm NATO pressures is supposedly better in the "anti-personnel" aspect. So if you had to choose one of them for a "stash" purchase, with all circumstances being taken into consideration (lethality pitted against barrier penetration), which would it be?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    556 77gr for more rounds and weight savings for transport. I do like the 318, but for an all around battle round, I would opt for the 556 due to the weight savings but that is me..

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle1* View Post
    556 77gr for more rounds and weight savings for transport. I do like the 318, but for an all around battle round, I would opt for the 556 due to the weight savings but that is me..
    So you're saying you'd take the mk318 for the weight savings as it's 62 gr vs the 77gr mk262? Those 0.03 lbs saved per magazine probably don't matter.
    Last edited by Koshinn; 01-28-15 at 07:35.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    That choice should be driven by expected target engagement range.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I'm trying to shoot people, not cinderblock or thatched walls, trees and bushes, furniture and drywall, etc.

If I can see him I can hit him. If I can hit him I can kill him.

If I can't see him but I need to destroy or penetrate what's between us and I want to blind-penetrate (hence the name) then I want something bigger -- like 7.62 or bigger fed by belts.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Koshinn View Post
    So you're saying you'd take the mk318 for the weight savings as it's 62 gr vs the 77gr mk262? Those 0.03 lbs saved per magazine probably don't matter.
    im an idiot, thought you meant the 308/556 comparison. still would take the 77 grn..

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    ....which would it be? I know the Mk318 is better at barrier penetration but the 77gr SMK at 5.56mm NATO pressures is supposedly better in the "anti-personnel" aspect. So if you had to choose one of them for a "stash" purchase, with all circumstances being taken into consideration (lethality pitted against barrier penetration), which would it be?
    Mk 318. Hands down. I've seen what it does to Florida feral hogs.....It's the better general purpose round. Being able to turn somebody's cover into mere concealment is very attractive to me.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I would lean toward 77gr SMKs, as they seem more plentiful than MK318.
    It is from the construction of underground FEMA camps. I can't say more because there a guy parked in front of house in an AMC Pacer. He is acting like he talking on the phone, but I know better.

I have to sign off now & put my laptop in the microwave.
    - cqbdriver

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    I'm trying to shoot people, not cinderblock or thatched walls, trees and bushes, furniture and drywall, etc.

If I can't see him but I need to destroy or penetrate what's between us and I want to blind-penetrate (hence the name) then I want something bigger -- like 7.62 or bigger fed by belts.
    This. Take the SME's advice and define your requirements. At what range do you intend to shoot at? Do you have the gun,glass and skill to take advantage of the mk262's capability? What barriers do you think you will encounter? Perhaps you're better off with a barrier blind soft point for CONUS use if auto glass is a primary barrier?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post

Points taken. Thanks.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast