Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: If you had to choose between Mk262 and Mk318......

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I'd like to try a box of these if they weren't 52 cents a piece for just the bullet.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/495...ProductFinding
    And I thought SMKs were pricey.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    Stock up for what? General defense, 318, because barriers are everywhere and 262 has variable terminal performance.

Otm through auto glass or rifle mags sucks.

Personally I started stocking bonded sp, because if I have to hunt, I don't want frags, and it has better performance than either all around.

Dedicated long range 77 otm for sure of the 2... but I don't plan on shooting past 300 for anything life dependant.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 01-30-15 at 19:38.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Stock up for what? General defense, 318, because barriers are everywhere and 262 has variable terminal performance.

Personally I started stocking bonded sp, because if I have to hunt, I don't want frags, and it has better performance than either all around.

Dedicated long range 77 otm for sure of the 2... but I don't plan on shooting past 300 for anything life dependant.
    I thought the ones with the cannelure were more consistent in that regard? The Mod1 and clones, correct?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    I thought the ones with the cannelure were more consistent in that regard? The Mod1 and clones, correct?
    They're better, but still have variable neck lengths.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    They're better, but still have variable neck lengths.
    I just ordered 1K of the IMI 77gr Mk262 Mod1 clones from Wideners. Pricey but I like IMI stuff.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    I just ordered 1K of the IMI 77gr Mk262 Mod1 clones from Wideners. Pricey but I like IMI stuff.
    That's quality ammo for an excellent price. Can't argue with that.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post

IF forced to stay with these two choices, I'd look at the 318 for the ability to deal with auto glass, as threats often ride in vehicles. But if I lived in an area where I would not have to consider the possibility of a threat being inside of a car at the time, then I'd stock up on a 262 clone, such as the IWI rounds.

There are other bonded rounds out there such as the Speer GD and the new FBI duty rounds like the Winchester 64r RA556B, that can surpass the performance of either of these rounds as a general purpose "duty round". I'm issued Winchester Ranger RA556B at work (the 64 gr bonded 5.56 spec round). I was present and participated in the ballistic workshops we hosted a few years ago when looking for new duty ammunition in various calibers. This 5.566 load is amazingly consistent in it's performance through various barriers.

The only issue with ammunition like the RA556B is price and availability. If you're stocking a couple of magazines worth of defensive ammunition, then absorb the price difference and be done with it. But if you're stocking up 500 - 1,000 rounds or more, then the price difference will matter. The issue I have with 318 is that availability is sporadic at best. And when it's available, the price isn't as appealing. I would love to see 318 priced in the same range as XM855.

It really depends on what the phrase, "Stocking Up" means to you personally. If a person is stocking several 20 rd boxes, then there are various options outside the mk262 or 318. But if a person is stocking several cases, then I would look hard at the IWI 77 gr loads.
    Last edited by Beat Trash; 02-02-15 at 09:34.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    On the note of the Nosler BSB loading, Beck ammo is selling their 64 gr BSB 5.56 load @ 20 rounds for $10.95

http://beckammunition.com/ammunition...onded-jsp.html

This used to be the Right2bear company (I think Mark M called it and I quote " the gayest name of an ammo manufacturer ever" LMFAO)

I bought some awhile ago and have been shooting it on and off, it's been consistent in function and accuracy in my 10.3 and 16" guns. It's worth at least a look. I'm not affiliated of course.

On the OP's subject I've gone with the BH and IMI Mk262 as a general purpose, quality, defensive loading. It's been easier to get vs the mk318 and that is the only reason or I'd have a shit ton of that too.
    Last edited by Split66; 02-04-15 at 08:44.
    http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQ2zEv1ukzyH_aeFG6-amwPk7CUBz7b4URcTQ8lFFl-LOLSDkQ

"BRD, much like the Wutang clan, is nothing to f@ck with"

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I've taken deer with mk318 projectiles, they were my go to until the supply of pulled bullets dried up.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Split66 View Post
    On the note of the Nosler BSB loading, Beck ammo is selling their 64 gr BSB 5.56 load @ 20 rounds for $10.95

http://beckammunition.com/ammunition...onded-jsp.html

This used to be the Right2bear company (I think Mark M called it and I quote " the gayest name of an ammo manufacturer ever" LMFAO)

I bought some awhile ago and have been shooting it on and off, it's been consistent in function and accuracy in my 10.3 and 16" guns. It's worth at least a look. I'm not affiliated of course.

On the OP's subject I've gone with the BH and IMI Mk262 as a general purpose, quality, defensive loading. It's been easier to get vs the mk318 and that is the only reason or I'd have a shit ton of that too.
    Ammo 2 go has the Right2Bear branded 64gr for $9.99/box. I just ordered a couple hundred to try out.

The deal seems to good to be true.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast