Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: If you had to choose between Mk262 and Mk318......

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Does it really even matter if you are thinking of engagement distances within 100 yards?
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Good ammo you have is better than perfect ammo you don't. My tactic is a smaller stash of higher performance ammo (gold dots) with a bigger stash of cheap stuff (m193/m855)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    Does it really even matter if you are thinking of engagement distances within 100 yards?
    Just like the military I try to configure my weapons (and ammo) for any scenario. Inside 100, or maybe 500, who knows? Therefore plan accordingly. I think my ultimate decision to go with the Mk262 Razor IMI stuff was a solid one; good terminal ballistics and accurate for longer distances. Might come up a little short in the "turn cover into concealment" category but that's a sacrifice I'll make. Like Meatloaf sang so many years ago: "Two out of three ain't bad"!
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Understood. Your Mk262 (clone) choice makes sense.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    is Mk318 still being manufactured? i see it in stock at us armament.

the erratic supply on these new solid bullets like the mk318, fusion, range, GMx, etc make it hard to stock up without breaking the bank at one time.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Federal Fusion isnt a solid. Its a bonded soft point and rumored to be the same projectile as the Gold Dot.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    I'm trying to shoot people, not cinderblock or thatched walls, trees and bushes, furniture and drywall, etc.

If I can see him I can hit him. If I can hit him I can kill him.

If I can't see him but I need to destroy or penetrate what's between us and I want to blind-penetrate (hence the name) then I want something bigger -- like 7.62 or bigger fed by belts.
    This is a pretty interesting thought process.

So if I wanted to standardize ammo across a "light precision" rig (1-4x scoped CL barrel rig meant for 400 and in) and a close quarters rig (suppressed 11.5"), would I be better off staying with OTM? For CONUS threats, yes there's auto glass and doors to contend with, but that's pretty much the only barrier that I would see a significant advantage in staying with bonded SP...but when you put enough rounds through auto glass, it becomes less and less of a barrier to contend with. Typical sheetrock constructed walls in houses these days don't stop much from going through them, bonded or not. Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mr h View Post
    is Mk318 still being manufactured? i see it in stock at us armament.

the erratic supply on these new solid bullets like the mk318, fusion, range, GMx, etc make it hard to stock up without breaking the bank at one time.
    I believe so. Hard to tell, as the supply is, as you said, erratic at best. If the Army and Marines were to both adopt the new Mk 318 Mod 1, I suspect we would eventually start to see it more on the commercial market.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    Federal Fusion isnt a solid. Its a bonded soft point and rumored to be the same projectile as the Gold Dot.
    ya sorry....meant to say "specialty" bullets. i like the soft points and the solids like gmx and mk318 and would love to stock pile a few. read reports the marines liked the mk318 in afganstan. any Marines here that can confirm that?

someone corrected me and said that 318 wasnt a solid because it has lead in the tip but the base is solid copper so for me it fits into the solid catagory.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mr h View Post
    ya sorry....meant to say "specialty" bullets. i like the soft points and the solids like gmx and mk318 and would love to stock pile a few. read reports the marines liked the mk318 in afganstan. any Marines here that can confirm that?

someone corrected me and said that 318 wasnt a solid because it has lead in the tip but the base is solid copper so for me it fits into the solid catagory.
    Do you consider me 262 solid?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast