Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: If you had to choose between Mk262 and Mk318......

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    But then you lose the ability to just pick up cheaper ammo again. Plus the lack of abundant parts for the 5.56 guns.
    Just keep a spare 5.56 upper to plink and train with no? The recoil difference is not that big I didn't think but I have only shot one 6.8. Just thinking out loud really.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cwgibson View Post
    Just keep a spare 5.56 upper to plink and train with no? The recoil difference is not that big I didn't think but I have only shot one 6.8. Just thinking out loud really.

You could do that. However I like to keep things simple. Plus from my experience M855 works pretty well. I keep a small number of home defense rounds loaded but for SHTF type situation Im going to be slinging ball ammo.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    How about poi shift between the two. Say you bzo with mk318, would mk262 give you a significant poi shift? Assuming you are not in a situation to acquire an new bzo.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cwgibson View Post
    How about poi shift between the two. Say you bzo with mk318, would mk262 give you a significant poi shift? Assuming you are not in a situation to acquire an new bzo.

Thats probably going to be different for each barrel.
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    Google it.... or, use https://www.federalpremium.com/ballistics_calculator/ and enter the info yourself.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by XD40Colorado View Post
    Google it.... or, use https://www.federalpremium.com/ballistics_calculator/ and enter the info yourself.
    Exterior ballistics calculators will tell you nothing about the difference in the points of impact of different loads that are due to interior ballistics factors such as recoil vectors and barrel harmonics.

All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Molon View Post
    Exterior ballistics calculators will tell you nothing about the difference in the points of impact of different loads that are due to interior ballistics factors such as recoil vectors and barrel harmonics.

This is fact.

From Tapatalk:
    Jack Leuba
    Knight's Armament Company: Military/Govt Product Liaison
    F2S Consulting: Director of Shooting Stuff
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    There are a few places to find MK318 if you are looking. It is pricey though at almost $1/rd compared to other "fighting" ammo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    I can obtain mk262 clone ammo.

I can no longer find mk318 ammo.

If mk318 was readily available, I'd stash a few cases away.

I'd love to see M855 replaced with mk318, and be available and at the same price as M855. But I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for that to happen.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Molon View Post

Shouldn't it at least give you an idea of the difference though? Or I am missing something?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by XD40Colorado View Post
    Shouldn't it at least give you an idea of the difference though? Or I am missing something?
    Every barrel will shoot different ammo to a different point of impact. For example you have two rifles that are both zero'd for M262 at 100 yards. Then you shoot Mk318 through them. Rifle A might shoot it 2 inches left of the original zero while rifle B shoots it 3 inches right and 2 inches up.
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast