Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Match .308 for Reloading?

Feedback Score

Match .308 for Reloading?

Hi all,

I'm looking to lay in a load of high quality .308 (at least 200 rounds), because I'm buying a precision rifle (that's another thread).

I would just buy FGMM, but I'm going to be reloading .308, and I hear that Federal brass sucks... too soft, loose primer pockets, etc.

Since I'm going to reload whatever I fire through my new bolt gun specifically for my bolt gun, I want decent brass.

Keep in mind I don't want to pay more than necessary, but I want something decent, too.

So, Australian Outback is out, though it's cheap, because it shot the absolute worst groups in the test of Springfield Inc.'s M14-types in the last American Rifleman "review."

I can find FGMM for $1.25/round or so, and I can find M118 for about the same. Should I simply buy M118?

What are other good options?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Federal .308 brass isn't bad. I've used it. Lapua is better, but in my experience, you need to fire it once to get it call on the same page. Mk118lr brass is the toughest, but the problem is you have to shoot that garbage RL15 powder on your initial firing to get to the brass. The Mk118LR load is simply not that good at all. I beats 308 ball for sure, but isn't really the best precision ammo at all. I have piles of it here that I just don't have the desire to shoot.

If precision is paramount, the Lapua is the way to go. But you can get great results out of the GMM brass too.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I agree with MarkM. M118LR is not that accurate when compared to Federal Gold Medal Match or good hand loads.

The Lake City brass used on the M118LR is pretty good brass in my opinion, but I would not purchase "match" ammunition strictly for the brass.

After firing Federal 175g Gold Medal Match, I can get 3-4 reloads out of it before tossing it in the scrap bin. My reloads are at maximum charge weight and I don't anneal cases to stretch the life of the brass.

A lot of guys who routinely kick my butt at 1,000 yard matches use Lapua brass.
    Last edited by T2C; 02-01-15 at 09:28.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Concur I try to shoot LC or Lapua brass when loading for best consistency and accuracy.

I also would not buy FGMM for the brass, there are better ways to get better brass for reloading. Several recent threads down below discuss brass.

Feedback Score
    Thanks, guys. I've never seen the point of buying new brass... I'll probably never be that "precise" a shooter.

I can't find loaded Lapua ammo for less than $1.60/round, plus shipping, which is too rich for my blood when I can buy FGMM from Palmetto for $1.25/round, shipped. I just ordered 400 rounds...

I might lay in some Prvi 168gr. "match," too. I've read very mixed reviews, but it's sooo cheap that it's tempting to try it...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Privi Match shoots OK, but it does not compare to Federal GMM or Winchester Supreme.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Remember that if you buy some Lapua brass, you can spread the cost over 5-10 loadings... depending on how hot your load is.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Lapua is good brass, but I don't use it in my autos, to expensive to get lost in the grass. For the auto's I like processed once fired LC brass.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeedrinkerinNC View Post
    Lapua is good brass, but I don't use it in my autos, to expensive to get lost in the grass. For the auto's I like processed once fired LC brass.
    You need one of these. I don't lose any brass.

Feedback Score
    yeap I use a brass catcher.Thought it would cause a lot of jams but it works like a charm. Keeps my brass out of the dirt. Keeps groups of weighed brass from getting mixed up. Don't lose that expensive brass that I have spent a lot of time on in brass prep. Saves a lot of bending over at the range.

Bought one of these too! . Works great for picking up brass. Wound up giving it to my rangemaster http://www.nutwizard.com/?gclid=CPzc...MCFbNZ7AodZCMA

I buy lapua brass. I only reload for my precision rifles. If you amortize the cost over the life of the brass it really isn't too bad.

bulk ammo is just too cheap to bother reloading.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast