Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Update 2/8 - Help. Torque Specs for Precision bolt gun build, ammo questions, etc

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

Update 2/8 - Help. Torque Specs for Precision bolt gun build, ammo questions, etc

I'm putting together a bolt gun, and was hoping to get some questions answered. I'm not a newbie to precision shooting or even precision rifles, but I've been out of the game for at least 4 years.

The rifle is a bone stock 16.5" Remington 700 AAC-SD in .308. I've got a Badger Ordnance pic rail, Vortex Precision rings (made by Seekins IIRC), and a Vortex 6-24 FFP. I will be mounting an AAC 762-SD (It locks up tight to the mount) to this rifle, and bought it primarily to shoot paper at 600 yards, ring steel at 800 yards, and if I can work up a load that does not go transonic, I'll attempt steel at ~1015 yards with it as well. I'll just jump right into the questions.

A) What are the preferred torque specs for this rifle's action screws? Does it change if it is the factory Hogue, Magpul's new stock, or a custom stock?

B) I've heard 16.5" .308s like 175gr ammo. I bought a bunch of different kinds of 168gr and 175gr to test. Does anyone have any factory loads (or custom loads) this rifle may like?

C) What are the scope base screws and ring screws torque specs? This is all over the internet and it seems everyone has a different answer.

D) Tricks to leveling the scope when mounting? I have the Wheeler scope mounting kit with levels, but it seems like every time I mount a scope its always off. If there is one thing that makes me hate precision rifles, it is mounting a scope.

E) AAC Flash Hider Torque Specs? I know 1/2x28 is 20-30. What is 5/8x24? Ideally, I want as much torque as possible (to prevent the mount from unscrewing with the can) without affecting precision.

F) What is a good trigger for this rifle? Do they make two stage triggers for bolt guns? I've always preferred 2 stages, but they don't seem to be common on anything but semi-autos for some reason.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 02-08-15 at 15:22.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Still a novice but I can answer most of these confidently.

A) Action screw torque depends on the stock/chassis the manufacturer will state in the instructions.
    B) Not really qualified here but FGMM and Black Hills 175gr work well with pretty much any gun.
    C) Same as A, different for each manufacturer, they will state how much in the instructions.
    D) I actually just use a set of mechanics shim gauges to level the bottom of the turret to the scope base. You can also use a deck of cards, plumb line or Arisaka has a nice scope leveler tool. http://arisakadefense.com/collection.../optic-leveler
    E) 30 ft/lb with Rocksett will be fine
    F) Most people use Timney or Jewell. Not familiar with any two stage bolt gun triggers other than AI's.
    Last edited by devilsdeeds; 02-03-15 at 11:45.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have the Rem 700 AAC SD with 20" barrel, I'm a big fan of Federal Gold Medal Match in 175gr.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I'm putting together a bolt gun, and was hoping to get some questions answered. I'm not a newbie to precision shooting or even precision rifles, but I've been out of the game for at least 4 years.

The rifle is a bone stock 16.5" Remington 700 AAC-SD in .308. I've got a Badger Ordnance pic rail, Vortex Precision rings (made by Seekins IIRC), and a Vortex 6-24 FFP. I will be mounting an AAC 762-SD (It locks up tight to the mount) to this rifle, and bought it primarily to shoot paper at 600 yards, ring steel at 800 yards, and if I can work up a load that does not go transonic, I'll attempt steel at ~1015 yards with it as well. I'll just jump right into the questions.

A) What are the preferred torque specs for this rifle's action screws? Does it change if it is the factory Hogue, Magpul's new stock, or a custom stock?

B) I've heard 16.5" .308s like 175gr ammo. I bought a bunch of different kinds of 168gr and 175gr to test. Does anyone have any factory loads (or custom loads) this rifle may like?

C) What are the scope base screws and ring screws torque specs? This is all over the internet and it seems everyone has a different answer.

D) Tricks to leveling the scope when mounting? I have the Wheeler scope mounting kit with levels, but it seems like every time I mount a scope its always off. If there is one thing that makes me hate precision rifles, it is mounting a scope.

E) AAC Flash Hider Torque Specs? I know 1/2x28 is 20-30. What is 5/8x24? Ideally, I want as much torque as possible (to prevent the mount from unscrewing with the can) without affecting precision.

F) What is a good trigger for this rifle? Do they make two stage triggers for bolt guns? I've always preferred 2 stages, but they don't seem to be common on anything but semi-autos for some reason.
    My rem. 700 .308 with a mcmillian edge stock recomends between 55 and 65 in/lb on the action screws

I have a 1/11 twist and I like 168 gr. berger VLD. lots of powders and loads out there. You just have to find the one your rifle likes

The manufacturer of your scope base and rings will give you the torques.

leveling a scope? lots of ways. they all will work if done correctly. Me I level the rifle up on sand bags or if you have a rifle vice so much better. usually just lay a 2' level across the bottom part of the scope rings. Back up and look at it to see if that looks right. hang me a plumb bob about 50' away. Set the scope in the rings put the top half of the rings on. Turn the scope till the crosshairs are splitting the string on the plumb bob. Keep checking and tightening.

don't use a flash hider

I use Jewell

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Found this
    The Wheeler torque wrench kit lists:
    Base Screws. 30 in lbs
    Windage Screws 30-40 in lbs
    Ring Screw aluminum rings 10-15 in lbs
    Ring Screw steel rings 15-20 in lbs

I would be cautious on the base screws, shouldn't be an issue with the Badgers though.
    If I remember correctly, the Seekins are 50-55 inch pouinds on the cross screws. When I had mine, never had an issue with 65 though. I believe Nightforce advises a higher number than what's quoted above on the cap screws. That would be on their items, be careful with sub standard aluminum ones.

Found it
    Nightforce Torque Specifications
    • Base attachment screws - 25 inch pounds
    • Ring top screws - 25 inch pounds
    • Ring crossbolt nut - 68 inch pounds

Badger is kind of light, but it's their specs
    http://www.badgerordnance.com/wp-con...-and-bases.pdf
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    Rifle Screw Torque Settings Guidelines

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2013/0...pecifications/

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Answers are after each question. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post

A) What are the preferred torque specs for this rifle's action screws? Does it change if it is the factory Hogue, Magpul's new stock, or a custom stock? 55lbs should be fine. That hogue is soft and changing pounding may change POI, So keep an eye on it.

B) I've heard 16.5" .308s like 175gr ammo. I bought a bunch of different kinds of 168gr and 175gr to test. Does anyone have any factory loads (or custom loads) this rifle may like? We run SMK's and Nosler make a good cheaper alternative. 168 and 175. Custom loads are Varget with and Lapua brass.

D) Tricks to leveling the scope when mounting? I have the Wheeler scope mounting kit with levels, but it seems like every time I mount a scope its always off. If there is one thing that makes me hate precision rifles, it is mounting a scope. Stand behind the rifle and eyeball it from standing behind the gun. The levels work fine but you can do it either way. Slowly tighten up rotating around the ring so as to NOT cause it to shift.

E) AAC Flash Hider Torque Specs? I know 1/2x28 is 20-30. What is 5/8x24? Ideally, I want as much torque as possible (to prevent the mount from unscrewing with the can) without affecting precision. They give a little goop to put on. I have never had one unscrew with AAC. It's not a problem with their design.

. Timney makes great cheap triggers. Single stage about $125. I like the flat ones best so I can keep my finger low on the trigger.
    Last edited by Pappabear; 02-03-15 at 22:00.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    We might want to sticky this thread. Thoughts on that?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    From Remington's site:

For the Model 700 rifles with synthetic or wood stocks, the guard screws should only be hand tight, which is 30 to no more than 35 inch pounds. The Varmint, Sendero & Police stocks are tightened to 45 inch pounds from the factory. Over tightening of these screws could potentially crack the stock.

http://support.remington.com/General...a_Model_700%3F
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Proud Son of a former Tomb Guard

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast