Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Update 2/8 - Help. Torque Specs for Precision bolt gun build, ammo questions, etc

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Understood, but torqueing to Remington spec shouldn't result in a Rem700 shooting 3 MOA with 3 different types of match ammo.

I am really getting annoyed at this entire thing. If the muzzle device is the issue, then the entire reason I bought the rifle (to shoot suppressed with short OAL) is pointless. If the muzzle device is not the issue, then there is a problem with the barrel.

I bought an HS Precision M24 stock and a Timney trigger today, and with bedding by my smith I will be over $3000 deep in this. Would've bought me a nice 18" SS BCM w/ the works and still had ammo leftover. And I know it would have shot well.
    You are right. It's not the muzzle device. No way. The above guy was talking about torquing the screws going into the stock. If it's not pillar bedded, then do 35 or 45 lbs. if it is you can go 55-65 lbs.

Get you stock pillar bedded, put in your Timney, and it should shoot at worst 1.5 moa. If it's a half ass barrel.

I have had one bad Remmy barrel. Only 1 of five. I bought the 5R varsity. But I had a tight spot in the middle. Even with crappy trigger, crappy stock...you should shoot one decent group.

If you know anyone who has pins to drop down the barrel to see how tight the barrel is, that might help. If the barrel is over bored, it will never shoot well.
    Last edited by Pappabear; 02-11-15 at 16:37.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score

Update 2/8 - Help. Torque Specs for Precision bolt gun build, ammo questions,...

First thing; scrap the stock. You will not have any repeatability when your stock is touching your barrel.
    Second: 5 min break between every shot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AverajeJo; 02-15-15 at 21:32.

Feedback Score

Update 2/8 - Help. Torque Specs for Precision bolt gun build, ammo questions,...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424057284.440937.jpg

20" AAC-SD
    I get sub .75" group at 100 yds

Last edited by AverajeJo; 02-15-15 at 21:30.

Feedback Score
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424057550.887732.jpg

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AverajeJo View Post
    First thing; scrap the stock. You will not have any repeatability when your stock is touching your barrel.
    Second: 5 min break between every shot.

Ive never needed a 5 min break between every shot on the 5 Remmys I've shot. 223 , (2) 308's, 300WM, 270Win
    If the barrel sucks waiting all day won't matter YMMV
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Ive never needed a 5 min break between every shot on the 5 Remmys I've shot.
    Agreed. Any gun needing that isn't worth owning.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score

It's not for the gun. It's for the shooter. Take a break and walk away. :0). I am just guessing it's the operator that is not grouping :0)
    Last edited by AverajeJo; 02-16-15 at 11:16.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Barrel was not touching the stock, and I know my way around a precision rifle.

Rifle should be put back together in a few weeks in a new HS Precision stock that is bedded. If that doesn't fix it, I'm going to have to toss the barrel I guess.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    If money is not a concern then here is your 2 stage trigger.
    http://huberconcepts.com/product/2-s...m-700-trigger/

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Rifle should be put back together in a few weeks in a new HS Precision stock that is bedded. If that doesn't fix it, I'm going to have to toss the barrel I guess.
    I'd get the barrel pin guaged first. It's a low tech process where you simply drop a pin down the barrel to see that it's bore is the correct diameter and that there aren't any tight spots in it.

We may have to send you some Markm 175gr SMK bolt gun ammo to try if nothing else. .308 can be a moody round. It'll wear your ass out some days and then other days impress the crap out of you.

(Edit: Re-read post 1... Your gun should have a HF barrel on it, so I'm not inclined to think there's a bore defect) I'll start spinning up ammo this week.
    Last edited by markm; 02-16-15 at 14:30.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast