Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I want a .17 HMR.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

I want a .17 HMR.

Well, I have decided that I want to get a nice new .17 HMR for the express purpose of defending my homestead from the muskrat invasion but in reality I am just itching to buy a new gun.

Ideally I would like this new gun to be the start of a new "family" of rimfire guns. Eventually, I would like to get a new .22 Mag and a .22 LR to replace my old Marlins.

In the absolute best case this "family" of guns would also have big brother centerfire rifles with similar safety location/action. Ruger 77 series seems to be the only option for this and I like the idea of it but I have read that the Ruger 77/22 etal are not very accurate for the money you pay.

What would you guys recommend?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have never owned a rifle that's as accurate as my Ruger 10-22 with Kidd barrel and Kidd trigger.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    I have never owned a rifle that's as accurate as my Ruger 10-22 with Kidd barrel and Kidd trigger.
    Any particular ammo or just anything you can stuff in the barrel?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    CZ 455 3-barrel combo set - 17HMR, 22LR, 22MAG all in one.

You won't regret it.

Mine (I only have the 17HMR and 22LR barrels ATT) is a laser beam.

Here it is with a Simmons scope I had laying around, it's been replaced though.

Last edited by RHINOWSO; 02-10-15 at 08:01.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Just buy a Sako Quad..then you'll have 22lr, 22wmr, 17hm2, and 17hmr.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    Any particular ammo or just anything you can stuff in the barrel?
    At some point in the last few years I stumbled on a couple of thousand rounds of CCI Standard Velocity at a good price. I haven't bought any additional .22 since and it's about all I shoot through any of the .22s that I own.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dub View Post
    17hm2
    What's the point of a barrel you'll never find ammo for?

No doubt a Sako is the bomb, but the cost difference between one and CZ rules it out.

Feedback Score
    The Savage 17s are really accurate and nice rifles for the money.

Dad has a 17HMR Golden Boy and amazingly enough...the thing is very accurate.

The 17 is a very accurate round but we have found that it barely gets the job done on coyotes and large feral dogs. For small varmints like a raccoon or possum it is fine but for larger varmints....give me my 22-250 please!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by brickboy240 View Post
    Dad has a 17HMR Golden Boy and amazingly enough...the thing is very accurate.
    I have one too. Beautiful wood and a very pretty rifle (until you scratch the painted zamak receiver cover) but mine is mediocre in the accuracy department. It works fine in .17 HMR, with a very smooth action, as long as you don't cycle it too fast. Additionally, the drop-at-comb of the Golden Boys makes mounting a scope on their cantilever scope mount with anything other than a laughable cheek weld pretty much not feasible. More like a chin weld.

I would never recommend a Henry rifle, especially a Golden Boy, as a serious utility firearm.

.17 HMR does a great job on porcupines and muskrats. I've never shot anything larger than that with it, but from what I read, coyotes are pretty marginal for that round.

Last edited by Hmac; 02-10-15 at 18:13.

Feedback Score
    I have a Marlin 917V, with a Mueller APV 4X14 scope. I can shoot a dime sized group at 100 yds with it.

I highly recommend getting one. When I was shopping for mine, the research indicated that Savage & Marlin were the most popular and generally very accurate. The Ruger 77/17 didn't get as good reviews for accuracy, and cost quite a bit more money.

Since I bought mine, Ruger has brought out the American; it seems to get good reviews and it's more affordable. If I was to buy another 17, I would be tempted to buy a Ruger Predator version.
    Last edited by zacii; 02-10-15 at 19:13.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast