Page 2 of 91 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: SIG MCX: When is an AR not an AR?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not my video but here is a quick demo on barrel swaps.

SIG MCX - Caliber Change Truth: [ame]http://youtu.be/fHfSoWp6uGc[/ame]
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    The only version of the MCX that grabs me is a .300 Blackout with a 9" barrel in a pistol configuration with the picatinney rear end, sold as a pistol on my 4473 and marked as a pistol on the receiver. The ability to lob Barnes Black tips at supersonic velocities from factory 20-30 round mags in a compact non-tax stamp format is highly desirable. Add a sling, weapon-light, and your choice of sighting option and it makes a great option for a HD weapon that can easily be transported to training classes in other states without the assorted mother may I's to the BATF that are required on SBRs.

The only question that remains is do you bank on Sig USA and their notorious spotty record.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Not my video but here is a quick demo on barrel swaps.

SIG MCX - Caliber Change Truth: http://youtu.be/fHfSoWp6uGc

Interesting. I fixed your link for you.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    SIG is supposed to have a conversion kit available for the MCX upper on an M16 lower. I believe the kit will include a plug for the receiver extension hole as well as some type of backstop plate for the recoil spring guide rods.

As for using the MCX lower on an AR upper; I dont see how that'd work because there's no provision to attach a buffer tube.
    Yes, good point about the AR upper, lol. I should have thought of that. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Please do keep us updated on this. I'm always interested in learning more and acquiring as many non-AR type rifles as my budget will allow.

I know there are some concerns over SIG USA's past with rifles, but at least to me this seems like a turn in the right direction for SIG. The 556 series guns were from their very start an attempt to bring a cheapened version of an existing platform to the U.S. market, but with the MPX and MCX it looks like SIG is actually trying to do something new and innovative and hopefully they aren't intentionally cutting corners to achieve that end result.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I really like the MCX. I do wish they were offering an 11.5" barrel OEM like some of their preproductions. The ones I've fired were very smooth and controllable in full auto. Well thought out.

Please keep us updated with your experiences with the production model

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_M View Post
    The ones I've fired were very smooth and controllable in full auto.
    Looking at my bolt carrier I see a small notch on the non-ejection port side. I assume this is the auto sear trip. That's just a guess but, if I'm right, it looks like a new auto sear will probably be part of the M16 lower conversion.

As I'm seeing it, it looks to me like the auto sear will have a lever or finger on it that runs forward from the pin hole. This lever would be maybe an inch in length and then have a little nub on top that gets bumped by the notch in the carrier. Running the upper on a stock full auto lower isn't going to work because the bolt carrier is too short and lacks the auto sear engagement surface on its bottom tail end.

Has anyone had the chance to peek inside an MCX select fire lower?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have to say I'm impressed so far. The platform appears to be well thought out and nicely made. And it has internal feed lip supports that the ACR lacks so it should be more reliable/compatible with various mags.

I referred to the MCX as an AR variant but that's not really correct. What this thing is is a new platform that was designed to use existing AR maintenance/replacement parts and work on existing registered lowers. SiG did a good job of taking a non-AR that works with a decent amount of AR parts.

Shipping the gun with two barrels does increase the price and I'm reading that the gun with only one barrel will sell for $250 less than the kit version. Anyway, the fact that the gun is already available with a second caliber option puts it head and shoulders above the Bushmaster already.

Hopefully SIG will be dedicated to the platform for the long haul. The only real obstacle I see presently is the price.

I plan on shooting this weekend depending on the weather. But rain or shine I'll probably be out there. Fingers crossed that the gun will meet my expectations.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Looking at my bolt carrier I see a small notch on the non-ejection port side. I assume this is the auto sear trip. That's just a guess but, if I'm right, it looks like a new auto sear will probably be part of the M16 lower conversion.

As I'm seeing it, it looks to me like the auto sear will have a lever or finger on it that runs forward from the pin hole. This lever would be maybe an inch in length and then have a little nub on top that gets bumped by the notch in the carrier. Running the upper on a stock full auto lower isn't going to work because the bolt carrier is too short and lacks the auto sear engagement surface on its bottom tail end.

Has anyone had the chance to peek inside an MCX select fire lower?
    Yup. Your deductions are correct.

I'm sure there's a better one of the FCG I can find later
    Last edited by Dave_M; 02-12-15 at 06:40.

Page 2 of 91 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast