Page 4 of 91 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: SIG MCX: When is an AR not an AR?

Feedback Score
    13.5 pound trigger? Wow!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinlessorrow View Post
    The Sig MCX has been submitted to the French rifle competition against the HK416A5, Croation VHS-2, Beretta ARX-160, and FNH SCAR-L.

Should be interresting. I think the Sig has a real chance at winning based off what I have seen.
    SCAR mk16 and not the FNAC?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    No SIG516 in the trial?

I would think the MCX will have a bit of a rough go against something like the 416 since that weapon has been heavily tested and developed over the last decade. But, if nothing else, the testing will certainly help SIG identify any longevity issues or inherent weakenesses in the design.

Any info on which stock type or handguard variant has been submitted for testing?

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    So, 9" for 5.56?

My understanding is that 5.56 out of barrels this short is a no-go.

Is Sig still retarded or am I missing something?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I ran about 100 rounds through the gun this morning. I started by shooting on a standard USPSA target at 25 and then 50 yards. Using my EOTech I got the gun dialed in to shoot about an inch high at 50 using handloads consisting of 17.5gr of H110 topped with a 125gr bullet.

Accuracy seemed good with most five shot groups running about 2" or so. Not spectacular but certainly fine for a red dot and a big brown target. I also tried some subsonic loaded with 10.5gr of 1680 and a 220 BTHP. These also shot well but were probably three inches low using the top dot in the EOTech.

Afterwards I moved to the pistol range and set two USPSA targets three yards apart. I finished off the session by engaging both targets, some failure drills and some head shots.

The gun was used with and without my AAC suppressor attached. Cycling was brisk and positive while suppressed with both types of ammo but the rifle won't fully cycle the 1680 load without the can. The gun would eject but not pick up the next round in the mag.
    I did toss five rounds of sub and five rounds of super in my pocket and loaded a mag at random. I shot this combo suppressed and the gun went "pop" and "bang" just fine.

Other than the noting cycling issues with the light load unsuppressed, the gun ran fine and locked the bolt back using Brownell's and Troy mags.

The action is quick and rather snappy and feels kind of like an AR with a carbine length gas system. There's no buffer in the stock and the reciprocal movement of the bolt is confined to the upper receiver so the gun might cycle a bit flatter than an an average AR.

Overall, I am pleased with the rifle so far. The trigger's heavy but fairly crisp. I'd replace it but I'm kind of waiting to see how soon SIG comes out with a 7.62X39 conversion kit.
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I realized after I'd put everything back together that I'd forgotten to include the firing pin retaining pin in the photograph. It, like the other bolt parts, is standard AR.

The bolt assembly is more complicated to strip than a traditional bolt due to the twin recoil springs and guide rod parts. It isn't necessary difficult but it does take a little practice.

uploadfromtaptalk1423946873609.jpg
    Last edited by Tokarev; 02-14-15 at 20:25.

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_M View Post
    SCAR mk16 and not the FNAC?
    Not sure, it was just listed as SCAR-L. The competition is a EU only thing which is why not more are submitting.
    Last edited by sinlessorrow; 02-14-15 at 15:00.
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Colt builds War Horses, not show ponies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    This is 2012. The world is going to end this December and people are still trying to debate the merits of piece of shit, cost cutting crap AR's. Really?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinlessorrow View Post
    Not sure, it was just listed as SCAR-L. The competition is a EU only thing which is why not more are submitting.
    If it's EU only, does that mean the MCX would be made in Germany?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here's the bolt carrier assembly. uploadfromtaptalk1423967170746.jpg

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...e-competition/

Scroll down a good ways for the list of rifles entered in the French trials.

Page 4 of 91 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast