Thread: Any civilian employees of the military?

Feedback Score

Any civilian employees of the military?

I noticed that the U.S. Air Force is recruiting for civilian employees for my occupation. Wondering if anyone here has worked in that capacity and is willing to share their experience?

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    There are civilians working for the military in almost every field. How about telling us what your field is….

Feedback Score
    You were pretty vague...what occupation, and where geographically are you talking about? That will make a difference

I'm an AF civilian of almost 5 years. I was picked up when I retired from active duty. We just went through a series of transitions and downsizing for several reasons, including sequestration, but things seem to be settling down, but I can only speak from an observation and not someone truly in the know.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I say go for it. The health benefits are VERY good and the retirement is second only to the military as far as I'm concerned. FERS is 30% of your "high 3", 5% match into the TSP (401k), and social security (assuming its still around). Generous leave/sick allowances and credit for military service are also an added plus.

The biggest negative so far is how hard it is to discipline or fire people. Each individual agency or component is afraid of litigation it seems so it takes a lot in order for a shitbird to get terminated or disciplined. At least thats been my observation and I've worked for two different agencies (VA, DC). Many employees come in and do the minimum, which is fine I guess, but its very easy to standout as an exemplary employee or hard worker. This is mainly due to performance plans and reviews that exist and the sea of mediocracy among peers.
    Last edited by sidewaysil80; 02-19-15 at 06:56.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I'm a civilian technician in my guard unit. I have to wear my uniform every day even though I'm in technician status. Also have to stay in the guard to keep the job. Pay is good, schedule is good, leave is ok until you hit step 5. Then it gets great.