Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I require assitance - choosing a suppressor for a Colt 6933 (11.5" barrel)

Feedback Score

Lightbulb I require assitance - choosing a suppressor for a Colt 6933 (11.5" barrel)

I've been reading a couple of the suppressor threads on here and I notice that a lot of cans go back over the barrel a couple inches. I have 2 Colt 6933s coming, and I'm looking to pick up at least one can for them. My concern comes from this back-over-the-barrel business though. I'd like to keep OAL down, obviously, but I don't know which suppressor models will fit over the small amount of barrel that's left beyond the gas block.

I'm not looking for "This company makes better cans than that company." or "This can is quieter than that can." here. I'll make those decisions when I get closer to finally making the call to a dealer. But I would like to know what cans will fit and what cans meet my needs at the same time.

I would prefer a flash hider over a brake if I have a quick-detach can. I would prefer quick-detach. These are simply my uninformed opinions, because I don't know anything about cans (obviously). I don't know the ups and downs of screw-on vs. quick-detach suppressors, and obviously I'm open to suggestion here. The only reason I would like a quick-detach is based on the limited experience (couple hundred rounds) I have with my friend's 9mm can on a Mac-11 (I think it was an 11). After a magazine on full auto, the can would start to unscrew itself and required tightening. That seems ridiculous to me. If a screw-on will be markedly more accurate than a quick-detach then perhaps I'll go that way. Again, I don't know a whole lot and am definitely looking to learn. Any help would be much appreciated.

Feedback Score
    No surprise for my choice...

I would prefer a flash hider
    >>>>>
    There is an A2 Flash hider mount available.

I would prefer quick-detach.
    >>>>>>>

Takes about 5-8 seconds to attach and remove.

If a screw-on will be markedly more accurate than a quick-detach then perhaps I'll go that way.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If you are "markedly more accurate" than your SBR, I'm impressed

There is no difference in accuracy between a thread mount and a QD that I have ever seen.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbore
    No surprise for my choice...

I would prefer a flash hider
    >>>>>
    There is an A2 Flash hider mount available.

I would prefer quick-detach.
    >>>>>>>

Takes about 5-8 seconds to attach and remove.

If a screw-on will be markedly more accurate than a quick-detach then perhaps I'll go that way.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If you are "markedly more accurate" than your SBR, I'm impressed

There is no difference in accuracy between a thread mount and a QD that I have ever seen.
    It appears to be an OPS INC... A shocking revalation indeed!

Which model? What barrel length is that? A 6933 upper (or other 11.5" barrel) on a Noveske lower, perhaps? I remember seeing a picture -- I can not recall if it was here or some place else -- where an extension had to be put on the barrel between the end of the barrel and the brake so that the suppressor wouldn't extend too far backwards and hit the FSB. Is a similar setup used on that rifle?

Regarding the accuracy comment, there are other guns that I can attach this suppressor to. A friend's SPR build, specifically.

How exactly does it attach/detach?

Feedback Score
    It appears to be an OPS INC... A shocking revalation indeed!
    >>>

Which model?
    >>>
    15th

What barrel length is that?
    >>>
    11.5"

A 6933 upper (or other 11.5" barrel) on a Noveske lower, perhaps? I remember seeing a picture -- I can not recall if it was here or some place else -- where an extension had to be put on the barrel between the end of the barrel and the brake so that the suppressor wouldn't extend too far backwards and hit the FSB. Is a similar setup used on that rifle?
    >>>>
    Thats just needed for 10.5" barrels, which means you may as well buy a 11.5" barrel.

Regarding the accuracy comment, there are other guns that I can attach this suppressor to. A friend's SPR build, specifically.
    >>>>

sure

How exactly does it attach/detach?
    >>>>
    screws on, and screws off

Feedback Score
    Hahaha... Steve you could sell oil to an arab. I love this thread.
    Sad, that it takes someone else to tell you your life is worth protecting and that you are the one ultimately responsible for it.

Feedback Score
    which means you may as well buy a 11.5" barrel
    Lucky for me that's what the rifle comes with.

So if it's a screw-on/screw-off, what's to keep it from coming loose? When shooting my friend's Mac, we tightened it about as tight as we could get it by hand and it still came lose after a magazine.

Is that just a problem with his suppressor, or did we do something wrong, or what?

Feedback Score
    When you screw the OPS can on it tightens against a shoulder on the barrel putting tension on the brake.

I shot 1K rounds through my OPS can yesterday and the can was as tight coming off as when I put it on.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom
    Hahaha... Steve you could sell oil to an arab. I love this thread.
    Its just my choice, it doesnt mean you'll be happy with it.

IMO:

If you want the shortest OAL package buy an OPS
    If you want the nicest mount buy a Surefire
    If you want the nicest fit and finish buy an AAC
    If you want the best customer service by a Gemtech G5
    If you want the best value for your money buy a YHM

For the practical application of anyone buying on a Form 4, all the above are more than good enough for what you need.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I am having a similar dilema as I currently have one 6933 and another, potentially, on the way. I'm leaning heavily towards the Ops 15th that bigbore has been pushing. I was resistant to it previously because I didn't know there was a flash hider mount available for it.

My other choice would be the Surefire FA556K, which is about $400 more than the Ops can. I started a thread about it which wound up coming back to the Ops here. You might find some of the information there useful and save bigbore re-posting the same pics.

If you don't mind waiting, or spending, AAC has what appears to be a potentially good competitor to the 15th and FA556K in the S2-R. If you can wade through all the bias and roundabout posting style of the original poster, we discussed this can here. I am somewhat skeptical about how long it will take for the S2-R to materialize on the market though, due in part to the fact that they're not even marketing it to the general populace yet, as well as the fact that AAC takes 40 forevers just to get models they've been selling for years out the door.

It does appear that overall the Ops Inc. 15th model is the best currently available design. I haven't seen a 556K yet (although I expect to in January at SHOT) but right now I'm not sure that the added cost is worth it for my purposes. I may personally wait to make my selection until after SHOT so that I can hopefully see and touch all of the offerings firsthand. I'm not terribly concerned with shooting them as most of the big name silencer companies (AAC, Ops, Surefire, Gemtech, SWR, etc.) 5.56 cans are almost all equally efficient at reducing the noise. Beyond that it becomes about aesthetics, the mount, the length added, the price, and the company.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    If you want the best customer service by a Gemtech G5
    Joe Gaddini with his SWR SpecWar-2 would be in this same class.

Absolutely unassailable customer service.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast