Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EDC Fire Starter . . .

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Question EDC Fire Starter . . .

I've been EDC'n a Bic lighter for years even though I do not smoke.

Been considering switching over to a ferrocerium rod of one sort or another as it will ignite no matter what the wind conditions are, not dependent on butane, etc. Something like the Exotac fireROD or Swedish FireSteel.

I was wondering what others of you might EDC for fire starting and welcome any comments / suggestions.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Bic and ferro. I find that the ferro actually works better due to wind 90%of the time.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    I can't speak to the FireROD but I have been carrying the Exotac NanoSTRIKER XL on my keychain for the past couple of years and highly recommend it. I originally bought the regular Nano but found it much too small for my hands so I relegated it to the wife's keychain and got the XL. I like the fact that the rod is protected, replaceable, and has the built in striker. I use it on a regular basis to light a fire pit with my son in the backyard using various tinders to keep up practice and it nearly always ignites on the first strike. We'll use it under camp conditions as he gets older.

I also added a Split Pea from CountyComm to the keychain as an additional source of ignition which has been used to great success as well. As long as you keep the O-ring lubed with Silicone Grease and screw it fairly tight it will retain the lighter fluid for months on end.

I generally keep a Zippo Chrome Armor with spare flints stored in the media in the front pocket as well but it requires weekly refilling even if you don't use it. (I don't smoke either) it's just one of those regular EDC items I grab on a daily basis so I have all three sources on my person pretty much all the time. Of course all the go bags have Bic's and various other ignition sources and tinders.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Decimus View Post
    I can't speak to the FireROD but I have been carrying the Exotac NanoSTRIKER XL on my keychain for the past couple of years and highly recommend it. I originally bought the regular Nano but found it much too small for my hands so I relegated it to the wife's keychain and got the XL. I like the fact that the rod is protected, replaceable, and has the built in striker. I use it on a regular basis to light a fire pit with my son in the backyard using various tinders to keep up practice and it nearly always ignites on the first strike. We'll use it under camp conditions as he gets older.

I also added a Split Pea from CountyComm to the keychain as an additional source of ignition which has been used to great success as well. As long as you keep the O-ring lubed with Silicone Grease and screw it fairly tight it will retain the lighter fluid for months on end.

I generally keep a Zippo Chrome Armor with spare flints stored in the media in the front pocket as well but it requires weekly refilling even if you don't use it. (I don't smoke either) it's just one of those regular EDC items I grab on a daily basis so I have all three sources on my person pretty much all the time. Of course all the go bags have Bic's and various other ignition sources and tinders.
    Great post, thanks for sharing your experience with the other Exotac products. I have yet to read / hear a negative review of any of their products.

After reading Selco's blog about survival in Bosnia during the war I hoard Zippo flints, wicks, and more economic lighter models lol. Wicks and flints are cheap and they are worth their weight in gold during a crisis.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    +1 for Exotac Nano and Nano XL.
    One on the keychain as above, one in each vehicle / boat, and my wife and I each have one in our packs.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I might have to get me a couple of those Exotac. Look pretty slick.
    ^^ Read with southern accent !^^ and blame all grammatical errors on Alabama's public school system.
    Technique is nothing more than failed style. Cecil B DeMented
    "If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away."-Dog
    Go where the food is.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    You can get small ferrocerium rods off ebay and amazon for super cheap. I have been running one on my keys for years

Feedback Score
    Slightly off topic but regarding Exotac, their FreeKey rings are superb as well. Super lightweight, cheap, robust, and much easier to use than split rings. No affiliation at all, I just ordered some with the XL and was so pleased I ordered more for every set of keys in the house.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ferro rods are fun, and using one teaches one a lot about fire building. I think they're great for survival kits that ride around in trunks of cars or in boats, but here's an excerpt from a post I made in this subject in another forum:

Why do so many people carry ferro rods?

If I'm going to carry something with me every day it has to either serve multiple functions (Swiss Army Knife, safety pins, paracord) or perform a single, essential function better than anything else (flashlight, firearm).

A ferro rod does exactly one thing, and it doesn't perform that function particularly well. I've started many fires under a variety of conditions. 99% of the time the tool I used was a disposable Bic lighter, and it has always done the job. Once or twice (particularly in windy conditions) I might have wished I could swap it for a Zippo, but not once in my 50+ years of life have I said, "If I only had a ferrocerium rod..."

I can see where such a thing would be nice to put in a survival kit that might sit unused for several years (in a boat or airplane, or in a zombie apocalypse bugout cabin)...but for everyday carry? I don't get it. I understand the need for a backup to critical items, which is why I keep additional Bic lighters in my vehicles, desk drawer, etc. I don't see the need for a second, *different* fire making device.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frailer View Post
    Ferro rods are fun, and using one teaches one a lot about fire building. I think they're great for survival kits that ride around in trunks of cars or in boats, but here's an excerpt from a post I made in this subject in another forum:

Why do so many people carry ferro rods?

If I'm going to carry something with me every day it has to either serve multiple functions (Swiss Army Knife, safety pins, paracord) or perform a single, essential function better than anything else (flashlight, firearm).

A ferro rod does exactly one thing, and it doesn't perform that function particularly well. I've started many fires under a variety of conditions. 99% of the time the tool I used was a disposable Bic lighter, and it has always done the job. Once or twice (particularly in windy conditions) I might have wished I could swap it for a Zippo, but not once in my 50+ years of life have I said, "If I only had a ferrocerium rod..."

I can see where such a thing would be nice to put in a survival kit that might sit unused for several years (in a boat or airplane, or in a zombie apocalypse bugout cabin)...but for everyday carry? I don't get it. I understand the need for a backup to critical items, which is why I keep additional Bic lighters in my vehicles, desk drawer, etc. I don't see the need for a second, *different* fire making device.
    So what is your multiple function fire starting device that you EDC?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast