Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Smacking an ACOG after adjustment - is it really necessary?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Not always needed with the COG, but often enough that its worth it to make sure your stacked failed adjustments don't send the shooter on a wild goose chase.
    I have witnessed failures of the optics to adjust.
    My experience is based on RCOs acquired between 2005 and 2009.
    It is possible that then new models were susceptible to the issue, and possibly with use the stickiness clears up, or that the design has been corrected, but I can say without a doubt that it was an issue.
    No doubt that at some point it is an issue, and whether time has loosened them and/or the new ones are fixed it still makes sense to continue the practice as it is cheap insurance.

Do you know if they have been fixed? I think the ACOGs I used were manufactured around 2011. Not brand new, but certainly not Fallujah vintage

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Strikes me as a classic USMC myth. I've never even heard of it.
    That's interesting, because from where I'm sitting I can't imagine how you wouldn't hear about it. It's that prevalent (much more than typical USMC Scuttlebutt), but it certainly explains some of the looks I get when I smack my ACOG on civilian ranges now!
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 02-13-15 at 06:39.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    This is much more than tapping with a screwdriver handle. Think 19 year old US Marine palm striking the side of his ACOG 2 or 3 times as if he were performing a MCMAP maneuver. Seeing this occur so frequently is what made me decide to buy an ACOG - they have shitty eye relief, but they're bulletproof.

I am not ashamed to admit that's me. I just don't bring it all over here because I'd be banned pretty quickly on a forum like this
    Think tapping the EO-Tech hard enough that I thought the glass was going to pop out of it. When I first saw this I thought a SWAT officer was going to bend the EO-Tech housing.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Haha, I'm tracking. That's nuts.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    shouldn't need to shoot a box to see if this works. if it hangs up it usually gets reset by the recoil of the first or second round. five rounds should show you if there's a flyer or two...
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Do you know if they have been fixed?
    I do not.
    I have buddies at Trijicon, guess I could just ask, but I don't want to put them on the spot by asking them to potentially cast doubt on their products.

I did alternate between staring at a 31 I have in the safe, my work bench, and my bit kit this morning though...
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Has what been fixed? The need to smack them or fire a round off target? That hasn't changed, the design of the ACOG is the same. For some reason we removed it from the manual but it doesn't hurt either way. There is no "need" to smack the optic, just speeds up the process.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Found this diagram:
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bullitt5172 View Post
    Has what been fixed? The need to smack them or fire a round off target? That hasn't changed, the design of the ACOG is the same. For some reason we removed it from the manual but it doesn't hurt either way. There is no "need" to smack the optic, just speeds up the process.
    That pretty much answers that.
    For those that don't know, bullitt5172 works for Trijicon, and is therefore the final authority on the matter.

RE: Chem-Light batteries:
    http://www.kriana.com/aa-krill-lights
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    That pretty much answers that.
    It certainly does. I guess "fixed" is a bad term, I should have asked "Is it still 'necessary'" As you alluded to, "fixed" implies there was a problem which is not the case.

Thank you F2S, Bullitt, and others for contributing.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    No worries, I'll try to help when I can. If I don't know, I'll find out for you

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast