Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AR10 barrel options

Feedback Score
    Good deal. FA carries them, I'm diggin it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    With all the .308 AR factory options right now, I wouldn't bother with a build, personally.
    Like already mentioned, careful about the compatibility thing (Armalite AR-10 pattern vs DPMS pattern vs other patters). Most aftermarket stuff not is for the DPMS patter, but you have to make sure.
    .308 ARs can get front heavy. I picked up a factory Armalite AR-10 with a 16" chrome-lined lightweight profile barrel last year, put in a Geissele SSA and a MI SS-Keymod forend, and it has served me well thus far. If you are looking for precision, you'd probably look for a thicker stainless barrel.
    Armalite is putting out some new configurations of the AR-10, which come with light barrels and freefloat Keymod handguards.
    16": http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.asp...5-57537c8ffe90

18": http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.asp...5-57537c8ffe90

20": http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.asp...5-57537c8ffe90

Feedback Score
    That's very tempting. I've thought about buying a complete rifle but it works out better for me buying parts as I go. Yes It can be a pain but I end up paying for everything I want versus paying for stuff I have to replace. I need to get my hands on these rifles. I thought about the cmmg, windham, and armalites. I remember a lot of negative talk about dpms a couple years back as well as PSA, and bushmaster. I've also thought about the M&p10 but I heard those aren't too great anyhow

Feedback Score
    I'll throw in my experience with a Mega barrel. I built a MATEN last year and decided to go with a 16"Mega barrel. They guarantee sub MOA so I was expecting that but it far exceeded what I thought I was going to get for precision. I consistently shoot sub .5 MOA with this rifle. Most 100yd groups are .3". I can outshoot a lot of bolt guns and I did not expect that out of this barrel.

Hell, a couple weeks ago I was shooting on a buddies land and we were hitting cattails at 200 yards...this is a fantastic barrel. I'm bringing this up because it was such a surprise for me and I don't hear anyone ever mention Mega barrels for precision rifles...I'm convinced they need to be brought into the discussion now.

Good luck and enjoy building your rifle!
    Last edited by atomic41; 02-15-15 at 12:04.

Feedback Score
    That's awesome. I'm still trying to narrow down what exactly I want. Mega has crossed my mind.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Both the Mega and Criterion barrels are a great choice - I have both a 20" M110 profile Criterion and an 18" Mega. Both have produced sub-MOA 5 shot groups. The Criterion has been 100% reliable, and the bore/machine work is top notch. The Mega has a better profile for a walking around, and consistently produces accuracy almost as good as the Criterion in a lighter package. Mine was overgassed though and required an adjustable gas block for reliability. My top choice for a general purpose carbine would be the 18.5" medium profile Criterion.

In terms of other more premium barrels, I wouldn't hesitate to get a Lilja or Noveske, with the usual caveat to match the bolt to the barrel extension.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12