Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wanting to buy AK host for SF 762 RC. Am I doing it right?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by t15 View Post
    awesome, thank you! is this the mount you need?

http://www.surefire.com/catalog/prod...-5/category/6/

or the 556 version maybe>?

http://www.surefire.com/catalog/prod...5/category/82/

i am eagerly awaiting the new magpul zhukov products and realized they will only work on stamped fixed stuck trunions, so i am passing on the sam7. i found 1 sgl21 new, going to call them in a bit see if its really in stock. rat, why did you have to use a thread on adapter for the SF muzzle device? couldnt the smith have threaded the barrel to directly accept the brake/flash hider? i am thinking about cutting down the barrel like yours and installing the front sight gas block combo with a pin/welded SF suppressor adapter to 16.1, should tuck nicely into the magpul zhukov/ultimak forend.

would a factory sgl21 have the muzzle device threading to the front sight base or the barrel? i cant figure this out. seems like some of the ak47s with the ak74 style brakes from the factory thread to the front sight. my wasr with slant does not and is left handed threads straight to the barrel, but a surefire adapter would be torqued against the front sight and not a proper shoulder. i think im going to try it out and see what happens.
    Thanks for the links. The non-standard mounts are run in batches depending on orders from Surefire distributors. From what I was told, there hasn't been an AK74 - 24mm thread pattern - done for a while, so someone has to order some volume before they do it.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    awesome, thank you! is this the mount you need?

or the 556 version maybe>?

http://www.surefire.com/catalog/prod...5/category/82/

i am eagerly awaiting the new magpul zhukov products and realized they will only work on stamped fixed stuck trunions, so i am passing on the sam7. i found 1 sgl21 new, going to call them in a bit see if its really in stock. rat, why did you have to use a thread on adapter for the SF muzzle device? couldnt the smith have threaded the barrel to directly accept the brake/flash hider? i am thinking about cutting down the barrel like yours and installing the front sight gas block combo with a pin/welded SF suppressor adapter to 16.1, should tuck nicely into the magpul zhukov/ultimak forend.

would a factory sgl21 have the muzzle device threading to the front sight base or the barrel? i cant figure this out. seems like some of the ak47s with the ak74 style brakes from the factory thread to the front sight. my wasr with slant does not and is left handed threads straight to the barrel, but a surefire adapter would be torqued against the front sight and not a proper shoulder. i think im going to try it out and see what happens.
    Had to use the adapter because Surefire doesn't make a brake for 14x1LH threads, and I wanted the brake specifically. And there isn't enough meat on the AK's barrel to support 5/8x24 threading for their standard 7.62 brake. Hence the need for the adapter.

Feedback Score
    http://www.arsenalinc.com/usa/SAM7SF.html

+

G2G? Specifically wondering how to install the SF mount. Is there a proper shoulder to torque against? Does the SF have a cut out for the detent pin?

Oh, and is factory sub sonic 7.62x39 a myth?
    It should work but it will be longer and heavier. The Surefire mount is installed by following the included directions. There is a shoulder within the mount that indexes off the face of the muzzle. I don't believe that particular mount has cut outs for the detent pin but it should be secured in place with Rockset.

I too have an Arsenal with a SF 762-MINI. Mine is an SLR-107CR that's been chopped down in a similar fashion to Rat's by the folks at Two Rivers. They also pulled the barrel to thread it on a lathe so that things were concentric. The SF3P-M14x1LH was pinned and welded. Now, when these products were first announced by Surefire a couple of years ago I spent some time on the phone with one of their techs collecting data, primarily measurements so I knew exactly how short I could cut the barrel while using their suppressor mount. One thing that they told me at the time was that ALL of the Surefire mounts would have a small hole pre-drilled at bottom dead center on the mount both to help with clocking the device but also to assist with the pinning and welding if it was necessary. That was not the case on the AK adapter that I received which was annoying.

Regarding that Geissele rod, I have the .308 one and it is loose in the bore of my AKs. It's loose enough that with the suppressor on the rod will move with enough wobble in the bore to contact any part of the hole in the end cap. While I've not slugged the bore I expect it to be around .310 which is bigger than the .308 that tool is designed for. I've flat out asked Geiselle if they would be willing to do a 30 or so unit run of the rods for AKs but they weren't at all interested.

I've put a lot of rounds through my system since getting it back in May and I've been fairly pleased with it. That said I've beat the hell out of it on some of the Run&Gun matches I've been to. The pinned and welded flash hider actually came loose this fall and was rotating back and forth a couple of degrees. As I'm local to them I took it back to Two Rivers due to my concern about not wanting a baffle strike among other things. Their guys went through it and at my request pulled, cleaned up and then soldered the flash hider on. I've just received it back this past week and only today was able to get a rough zero on it. In the coming weeks I hope to shoot some side by side groups with the can on and off again to see if it's anything like it was.

This is how it was shooting right after I received it.

It's a bit gnarly now with the soldering but that's fine by me so long as it works and stays solidly attached.

I went with the threaded barrel because I thought it would be much more likely that I would get a concentrically mounted muzzle device (and suppressor!) with that method compared to hoping that the bore was in the center of the barrel and that the barrel was in the center of the 'collar' on the front sight post that had the 24mm threads around it. I didn't much like those odds myself. I have thought about picking up one of the 24mm adapters to try on my SLR-107UR but I'm not sure if I will or not.

What further questions do you have?

Ek

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by interfan View Post
    Thanks for the links. The non-standard mounts are run in batches depending on orders from Surefire distributors. From what I was told, there hasn't been an AK74 - 24mm thread pattern - done for a while, so someone has to order some volume before they do it.
    Ahh, brutal man, sorry to remind you :P

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rat View Post
    Had to use the adapter because Surefire doesn't make a brake for 14x1LH threads, and I wanted the brake specifically. And there isn't enough meat on the AK's barrel to support 5/8x24 threading for their standard 7.62 brake. Hence the need for the adapter.
    I don't blame you, sacrificial baffle and all that.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by english kanigit View Post
    It should work but it will be longer and heavier. The Surefire mount is installed by following the included directions. There is a shoulder within the mount that indexes off the face of the muzzle. I don't believe that particular mount has cut outs for the detent pin but it should be secured in place with Rockset.

I too have an Arsenal with a SF 762-MINI. Mine is an SLR-107CR that's been chopped down in a similar fashion to Rat's by the folks at Two Rivers. They also pulled the barrel to thread it on a lathe so that things were concentric. The SF3P-M14x1LH was pinned and welded. Now, when these products were first announced by Surefire a couple of years ago I spent some time on the phone with one of their techs collecting data, primarily measurements so I knew exactly how short I could cut the barrel while using their suppressor mount. One thing that they told me at the time was that ALL of the Surefire mounts would have a small hole pre-drilled at bottom dead center on the mount both to help with clocking the device but also to assist with the pinning and welding if it was necessary. That was not the case on the AK adapter that I received which was annoying.

Regarding that Geissele rod, I have the .308 one and it is loose in the bore of my AKs. It's loose enough that with the suppressor on the rod will move with enough wobble in the bore to contact any part of the hole in the end cap. While I've not slugged the bore I expect it to be around .310 which is bigger than the .308 that tool is designed for. I've flat out asked Geiselle if they would be willing to do a 30 or so unit run of the rods for AKs but they weren't at all interested.

I've put a lot of rounds through my system since getting it back in May and I've been fairly pleased with it. That said I've beat the hell out of it on some of the Run&Gun matches I've been to. The pinned and welded flash hider actually came loose this fall and was rotating back and forth a couple of degrees. As I'm local to them I took it back to Two Rivers due to my concern about not wanting a baffle strike among other things. Their guys went through it and at my request pulled, cleaned up and then soldered the flash hider on. I've just received it back this past week and only today was able to get a rough zero on it. In the coming weeks I hope to shoot some side by side groups with the can on and off again to see if it's anything like it was.

This is how it was shooting right after I received it.

It's a bit gnarly now with the soldering but that's fine by me so long as it works and stays solidly attached.

I went with the threaded barrel because I thought it would be much more likely that I would get a concentrically mounted muzzle device (and suppressor!) with that method compared to hoping that the bore was in the center of the barrel and that the barrel was in the center of the 'collar' on the front sight post that had the 24mm threads around it. I didn't much like those odds myself. I have thought about picking up one of the 24mm adapters to try on my SLR-107UR but I'm not sure if I will or not.

What further questions do you have?

Ek
    Awesome, thank you for the help and pictures. I've seen some of your posts on other forums and hearing your AK silent was what really got me going. I already ordered the scar tool, we'll see.. :-( I hope your muzzle device stays attached, what is your barrel length MD included? I am thinking about a gas block/front sight combo to bring the length down closer to 16 with the MD welded.
    Last edited by t15; 02-15-15 at 16:20.

Feedback Score
    well the sgl 21 that still says in stock is in fact, not in stock.. while looking at a full last page/rear cover ad in the SGN from IO ordnance i saw this sweet puppy,

http://www.ioinc.us/-m2141.html

ive read that they are junk, but i am going to try it out for 550 lol. ill be calling them tomorrow, ask some questions and see if anyone can confirm threading. still not sure how i am going to check for concentricity, but this seems like a safer bet than the wasr. just rockset and forget about sbr for now..
    Last edited by t15; 02-16-15 at 19:38.

Feedback Score
    t15, it's just a shade under 16.5" with the muzzle device as measured from the face of the bolt.

Ek

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by english kanigit View Post
    t15, it's just a shade under 16.5" with the muzzle device as measured from the face of the bolt.

Ek
    Ahh, I am envious of both your rifle and rats.. Maybe I'll work towards getting a press to do an AK right. For now though, I called IO and spoke to someone knowledgeable. When I asked what they were threaded for he said m14x1 LH without any pause. I am going to order tomorrow, I'll report back with a range review.

Already have the surefire mount inbound

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    He's the one who recommended Two Rivers Arms to me in the first place. Gotta love those modernized, suppressed AKs!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast