Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muzzle blast diverters

Feedback Score

Muzzle blast diverters

Or whatever you want to call them... Doesn't that negate what a muzzle brake does if used over a brake? If it directs the blast forward, how much does it negate what the brake is supposed to do? I know the results can be a bit subjective, but has anyone tested this?
    I see that AAC has come out with one now and it got me curious. I have the 51T brakes on my 5.56 and .300 BLK for use with my 762SDN-6. The reason I went with the brakes is because I'm not shooting SBR's, and AAC said that the brake would marginally increase the life expectancy / wear of the can. I don't really care so much about the mitigation the brake provides when shooting without the can attached, so I'm leaning towards trying one out.
    Other thoughts?

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Yes, it negates the purpose of the brake. They're nice for classes, so you aren't irritating the person on either side of you, or if you go to an indoor range.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Curious how it works with the battlecomp 51T since the battlecomp isn't designed like the original AAC brakes?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I used to hate being next to someone with a brake when I was a new shooter. Now I'm used to it and I don't even notice the blast anymore.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    As someone who hates brakes, anything that alleviates blast is AOK in my book. I hope this trend continues.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by karlglen101 View Post
    If it directs the blast forward, how much does it negate what the brake is supposed to do?
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    Yes, it negates the purpose of the brake...
    Kind of. The big open ones don't work as brakes any better than a bare muzzle to mitigate recoil. The baffled ones slow down the rush of gases forward and work to mitigate the harshness of the recoil that way.

I'm not making this up:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...vice-shootout/

Note that the Ferfrans and Hera linear comps still mitigate recoil better than an A2 flash hider...

Feedback Score

NA

Please delete
    Last edited by LongRider; 09-20-20 at 01:09. Reason: Delete unintended post to ancient thread

Feedback Score
    Re: The "Hate Brake," it's $200. I can't see spending that kind of money when KVP sells a linear comp for ≈$50.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    OP is asking about the add-on blast diverters that go OVER a muzzle brake which is the primary muzzle device. Post #2 seems to be right on point. Linear comps, used alone as the primary muzzle device, are not quite the same.

If your circumstances require a blast diverter for classes or any other practice use, you should probably re-think the brake entirely, as you aren't training with it and you've just hung 5-10oz and $100-400 worth of stuff on your muzzle for little benefit. At that point you're approaching the cost and weight of a legal sound suppressor.

Feedback Score
    I put a linear comp on my son's lever gun -- they do a great job of getting the blast/noise forward at the expense of a little extra recoil. Zero experience with a blast diverter but it seems like they are doing roughly the same thing.
    Last edited by CubeWarrior; 09-25-20 at 20:21.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast