Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Muzzle blast diverters

Feedback Score
    I put a blast diverter on a 11.5 inch 6.8 SPC build, muzzle device is an AAC breakout 2.0....It might throw some blast forward but its still loud as hell.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    This week's Patrol Rifle class we had the usual 2 or 3 brakes and I am the class Brake Nazi. I put A1's on two but that was all I had. The third gun had a Battle Comp which is very much a no-go but he had some kind of shut-it-up doodad on there. We put him at the end of the line until I could fina nother A1 and I never thought I'd wsay this but his setup was not atrocious unless he was prone and me standing next to and above him. And to my surprise it effectively controlled flash.

So for I dunno, maybe $175 he was where he'd have been with a $10 or free A2 FH but the over-thingy was subject to falling off as it was held on with set screws and he was still louder than normal.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    This week was our first Patrol Rifle class of the year. Out of about 20 officers, I didn't actually count but there must have been at least six AR pistols. Discussion among a few instructors brought out some pro and some con points but as for me I was all pro. Paperwork and wait time is also inconvenient for PD's. Plus SBR's are a no-go when the officer carries a personal AR on duty (in IL). Bonus: more police saying "hell no, you won't take my arm brace".

There were three muzzle brakes, all pinned and welded. I put sleeves on two of them, the third had his own shroud-thing and unlike most it was effective "enough". He had almost $200 into it to get back into the safety zone but still it was louder than standard and somewhat, but not terribly, flashy. Whereas a $10 A1 or A2 flash hider would be the better muzzle device in every way for this application.

It's about impossible to keep track of all the brands and styles of brakes out there, let alone have sleeves on hand to fit everything. The ones that got the sleeve were what looked to me and was described to me as a Battle Comp knock-off and something else that was a two-port brake with a flash hider on the end (!). Both were of a diameter that made the sleeve less than a perfect fit, one had about .020 clearance (BC copy) and the other about .040. On the first, it actually shot very mildly and killed flash effectively despite the short barrel. I checked his ammo and it was AE223 so pretty mild stuff that probably helped. His forward hand got a little sooty due to the slight space along the top of the brake / shroud fit (set screw at top) but he said he never felt heat or air movement. The other one tracked with most brake-with shroud combos I see-- lots of flash, and the flash makes its own, separate, additional noise. THIS one with the .040 clearance on top put out a semi-tremendous and odd shaped flash out the front but also out the back and inside the hand guard. I didn't catch this until an hour into Day Two and was immediately concerned about it but-- the shooter said he didn't notice a thing. This thing did not flash intermittently, it was every single shot and he said up until the end of class that he never saw it or felt it-- so I let it be (and he was one of our better shooters).

I cannot explain why the flash appears to have straight edges. I think it might be an artifact from the lens or how an iPhone video works.

Two sequential frames—big flash out the front followed by a backflash up the hand guard.
    I checked: this guy still had all the hair on his knuckles! Weird, huh?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    It’s an artifact of how the camera sensor captures images. They scan them from one end of the sensor to the other, rather than getting the whole image at once. Your camera started taking the pic as the muzzle flash started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12