Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can or SBR?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by demigod View Post
    The excitement factor on getting a can was 10 times higher than getting an SBR for me.
    and the letdown, in turn, was 100 times as much.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    lol, that's funny

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Not for me. Some of the honeymoon has worn off, but I still really enjoy shooting my can... especially at long distance gongs.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Wow, definitely some good discussion in this thread! I too am in the SBR or can dilemma. I currently have a great all-round general purpose carbine, my LMT with the 16" bbl. I always told myself I would have the bbl cut down and the muzzle device perm attached when I got a can for it. In Iraq I had my M4 equipped with a KAC Nt4 QDSS. I much preferred having the can equipped for any type of "outdoors" work. It really increased my hit probability with the weapon at ranges between 50-300 yards, especially if she was wearing my TA01-NSN. I attribute this to less flinch from muzzle blast and no hearing protection as well as the added weight and stability of the weapon, not so much to the increased accuracy from the can. Given my current GP carbine is wearing a TA33-8, it kind of makes sense putting a can on it.

However, whenever I knew I would be going into a building the last thing I wanted dangling off the end of my 14.5" barrel was a big fat can and a TA01. I wanted the shortest barrel I could get and an M68. That being said the first time I got to play with a Mk18 it really impressed me. The speed of handling and overall balance of the weapon even with an NT4 on the end of it is very impressive to say the least. I guess I just don't know which one I want to get...I am leaning toward an LMT Mk18 clone.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I've been going back on forth on this for years, which has pretty much resulted in a brain freeze. Looking back, I realize that had I just done one or the other then, I would in all probability have both by now. With current uncertainties as to the upcoming election, I've becoming more inclined to just get something done. I've been leaning toward the SBR for the reasons you guys had listed, however, everyone local that I've talked to has told me to get a can.

I've had only one opportunity to shoot a can...a Surefire at an indoor range....and I honestly wasn't all that impressed. Maybe I had unfounded but high expectations, but it was still pretty damn loud even with ear pro and it made the 16" rifle feel extremely unweildy.

Feedback Score
    I had the same choice to make, SBR or can. What it came down to is that hunting season is coming up fast and I don't like to wear earplugs. So I went with the can.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanS View Post

I've had only one opportunity to shoot a can...a Surefire at an indoor range....and I honestly wasn't all that impressed. Maybe I had unfounded but high expectations, but it was still pretty damn loud even with ear pro and it made the 16" rifle feel extremely unweildy.
    Shooting a suppressor indoors with supersonic ammo is not the way to get a handle on it. Regardless of barrel length or brand it is going to be extremely loud.

That said 5.56 cans are loud compared to .30 cal cans.

With respect to your thoughts on a 16" with a can - at least you know this - if you were to buy a can you want a short / light weight one to reduce this feeling......

Good luck with your choice

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Face_N_The_Crowd View Post
    With respect to your thoughts on a 16" with a can - at least you know this - if you were to buy a can you want a short / light weight one to reduce this feeling......

Good luck with your choice
    I honestly think a 14.5 w/ suppressor really isn't that bad. Nothing like a 10.5 w/suppressor, but not bad.

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

SBR. Then can.

Feedback Score
    My 16" with a can is not something I'd grab when I want a light and handy rifle, but at least it's a tad shorter than my vanilla 20".

I definitely shoot better with it, though. I would not give up the can for an SBR, but then I don't really have a *need* for an SBR, either. If I could do it over I'd use a medium contour stainless barrel rather than my chrome lined gov't profile.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast