Thread: The A2 configuration

Feedback Score

The A2 configuration

Would the A2 configuration with it's fixed carry handle and iron sights be considered "retro" nowadays?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    In some circles, yes. For the most part, the A1 is the "retro" configuration, however, there were so many changes taking places with the M16 throughout the 1970s that the line has become obscured somewhat when it comes to the A2. Many consider the Model 727 a retro, but some do not. It all depends on how you look at it. I consider the A2 as being on its way to retro-hood really soon.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    We've been calling it "The Musket" at least since I came in around 2007, so I'd say it's pretty retro...
    PRAISE THE FALLEN
    SSG Kevin Roberts KIA 7-May-08
    1Lt Nick Dewhirst KIA 20-July-08
    Cpl Charles Gaffney KIA 24-Dec-08
    Spc Peter Courcy KIA 10-Feb-09
    PFC Jason Watson KIA 10-Feb-09

Feedback Score
    I was actually issued an m16a2 up until late 2010/2011 when I was finally given an m4 carbine with an Acog. Left before I got to experience the awesome known as the Acog, though. Never saw an acog until I hit my current unit, late 2011. Only flat top A4s and m4s.
    USMC 1833/3531

Yut Yut

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Obviously it all depends on who you ask.

For me the M16A2 evokes certain memories and a particular kind of feeling... it reminds me of stuff like LCEs, red lens flashlights, protractors, etc...

Definitely retro, IMO.

Feedback Score
    I look at the M16A2 as an example of the wrong ideas about what an Infantryman's rifle should be that gained traction with the decision-makers, with Joe getting screwed over in the end.

If the Marines wanted that rifle, then it should have been a Marine program only, but other than the brass deflector, there wasn't any improvement brought over to the Army side.

We had M16A1's with A2 furniture in my first unit, and when those were turned in and we got new A2's, I felt cheated. Qualification scores went down, because of that monstrous abortion trigger with the 3rd Burst disconnector that screws over the trigger pull weight with an increasing pull with every shot until the burst cam resets. The weight increase and imbalance was immediately noticeable, and totally pointless.

They made the forend heavier because they thought soldiers were bending M16A1 barrels at the FSB after gauge-checking them and the gauges were getting hung up right at the FSB. They could have bore-scoped them and discovered that fouling at the port was causing the hang up of the gauge at that location, but no. They had to learn that after the fact that a heavy forend had been specified for the M16A2.

The M16A1 is a fine rifle for its purposes: Very lightweight, well-balanced, hassle-free windage sight that can't get knocked off zero easily in the field, and has a great trigger mechanism. I even prefer the 1960's Type D stocks that had no provisions for a cleaning kit compartment. I never put my cleaning kit in the butt of any of my rifles. They should have left the hard chromed BCG as part of the TDP from the 601 as well. The chromed BCG's run extremely well.

I look at the M16A2 as a cursed scar in the history of the AR15 family, and try to block it out from memory, having spent a considerable time with it Stateside and in Korea. When we got M4's in 1997, it was a happy day for me. I had actually been submitting several recommendations through the SIP and sensing sessions for many of the duty positions in Light Infantry Battalions to be issued 727's, so when we got M4's, I couldn't believe it.