Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Options for 62 grain reloading bullets?

Feedback Score

Options for 62 grain reloading bullets?

without this becoming a discussion on the proposed M855 ban, I am looking for some suggestions for a 62 (or thereabouts) grain bullet to reload for223/5.56. I am halfway through a pack of the ss109 bullets that midway offers and will probably run out soon. Assuming that option goes away, it seems like the market for 62 grain bullets is sorta bare.

I have a 14.5" pinned flash hider 1:7 twist barrel that has always shot M855 really well, and I don't want to step over to 55 grain if I don't have to. going through Midway, brownells, etc. I see plenty of options for the 70+ grain match type bullets, and plenty of the smaller offerings, but am I missing something? The armscor 62 bulk pack at midway seems to be it, and the reviews indicate that those are very hit or miss.

Hopefully you guys will have some suggestions.
    I always wanted to take two shotguns and mount one on either side of a Rottweiler...I will call the breed a Shottweiler

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Regarding FMJ's only, what does 62gr's offer that 55gr's doesn't?

Are you just trying to replicate NATO rounds?
    Last edited by Onyx Z; 02-17-15 at 14:34.

Feedback Score
    Barnes makes a 62gr and Nosler has a 64gr, both are pricey. If it's for plinking I would just get 55's.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Wideners had a bunch of SS109s no?
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Wideners had a bunch of SS109s no?
    They did, but I found them after it was too late. I just checked again and it seems like they now have a few non-steel tip offerings that i may try

had never seen that site, but it looks promising

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx Z View Post
    Regarding FMJ's only, what does 62gr's offer that 55gr's doesn't?

Are you just trying to replicate NATO rounds?
    I would like to get as close to what I have been shooting as I can, which have been M855 or a somewhat similar handload. I don't have anything against 55 grain, and I do see that the hornady bullets are plentiful if I choose to go that route, but familiarity with 62 means ill at least try to find an ss109 alternative.
    I always wanted to take two shotguns and mount one on either side of a Rottweiler...I will call the breed a Shottweiler

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRallyeZ View Post
    I would like to get as close to what I have been shooting as I can, which have been M855 or a somewhat similar handload. I don't have anything against 55 grain, and I do see that the hornady bullets are plentiful if I choose to go that route, but familiarity with 62 means ill at least try to find an ss109 alternative.
    That makes sense.

Just and idea, and I'm not sure on the ballistics, but with NATO rounds being higher pressure, you may get a similar trajectory with 55gr in 223 pressure loads...?

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I've loaded some lead core 62gr Prvi bullets and some from Bulletheads.com and both were acceptable for a plinking round and very affordable.

Tapatalk'd

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRallyeZ View Post
    They did, but I found them after it was too late. I just checked again and it seems like they now have a few non-steel tip offerings that i may try
    They sold out of those nasty things?? Looks like the scare of the ATF ban got their inventory clean up.

I'd definitely prefer a non-penetrator bullet if you can find it.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast