Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: New bolt catch from Forward Controls

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    This fine little gadget showed up at my door yesterday.....

Untitled by Cory Fluck, on Flickr

Not only useful but aesthetically pleasing too....

Thanks Roger! I'm proud to be one of Santa's little helpers and your friend!

"Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Got my new ABC/R installed. It's definitely nice.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Roger, I went to buy another ABC/R today and noticed that the V2 has the lightening cuts removed. Is this just because its easier to manufacture?
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Wake,
    The lightening cuts were removed because the purpose they served (to keep the ABC/R's weight close to that of a factory bolt catch) is now performed by the v2's new thinner upper paddle. The deletion of these cuts has netted us no cost saving

ABC/R v2's upper paddle is 10% thinner overall, and the upper 50% of which is tapered additionally to clear wide billet receivers.

The pics below show the difference between the 2015 design, and 2017 v2 design:

The 2015 original design has a rather thick upper paddle, it is really much thicker than necessary. Militarymoron had suggested in 2015 to taper the upper paddle, which was done in 2017's v2 revision. V1 and v2 weigh almost the same. Neither v1 nor v2 was meant to be a lightweight bolt catch, we only wanted them to not be grossly overweight as to cause problems for the bolt catch spring.

The lightening cut in the lower paddle sometimes was controversial, some argued a stick or small rock could get in through the hole and render the bolt catch useless. While we've never seen that happen during the v1's 2 year production span, we concluded it was best done away with, it's not a debate worth having. In any case, we were able to achieve almost identical weight saving by streamlining the upper paddle, there's no need for either lightening cuts.

2017 ABC/R v2 also has upgraded coating. 8620 heat treated ABC/R v2s are black nitrided, they have a lush, deep black finish. Limited production 17-4 SS ABC/R v2s are not coated, but finished in either polished, or bead blasted surface.
    Last edited by Duffy; 07-08-17 at 22:28.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    Wake,
    The lightening cuts were removed because the purpose they served (to keep the ABC/R's weight close to that of a factory bolt catch) is now performed by the v2's new thinner upper paddle. The deletion of these cuts has netted us no cost saving

ABC/R v2's upper paddle is 10% thinner overall, and the upper 50% of which is tapered additionally to clear wide billet receivers.

The pics below show the difference between the 2015 design, and 2017 v2 design:

The 2015 original design has a rather thick upper paddle, it is really much thicker than necessary. Militarymoron had suggested in 2015 to taper the upper paddle, which was done in 2017's v2 revision. V1 and v2 weigh almost the same. Neither v1 nor v2 was meant to be a lightweight bolt catch, we only wanted them to not be grossly overweight as to cause problems for the bolt catch spring.

The lightening cut in the lower paddle sometimes was controversial, some argued a stick or small rock could get in through the hole and render the bolt catch useless. While we've never seen that happen during the v1's 2 year production span, we concluded it was best done away with, it's not a debate worth having. In any case, we were able to achieve almost identical weight saving by streamlining the upper paddle, there's no need for either lightening cuts.

2017 ABC/R v2 also has upgraded coating. 8620 heat treated ABC/R v2s are black nitrided, they have a lush, deep black finish. Limited production 17-4 SS ABC/R v2s are not coated, but finished in either polished, or bead blasted surface.
    That's a hell of a response, thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thread resurrected by quest for ABC/R bolt catch feedback

Last edited by Duffy; 04-24-19 at 16:03.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I’m a fan of the FC bolt catch/release and have one on every AR lower I have. I’m very happy with the increased surface and leverage, making a bolt release after a magazine change easier, especially left handed and the easier ability to hold open the BCG when needed. Customer service is also excellent.

I have no affiliation with FC, just a happy customer.
    NC

Feedback Score
    I have been impressed with the ABC/R v2. First, a comment on your CS. I have emailed FCD a few times and received prompt and informed responses. I do appreciate the CS. I was a firm believer in the stock bolt catch/release. I do not run an ambi mag release. However, as I have progressed with drills and competitions, it was clear that a stock catch could use a bit of improvement. It was my thought that a bit more on the bottom paddle would help with lock back operations. I was looking for a minor increase that was tactile. I did not want a catch that was large and extended, as I felt it would cause too much leverage and possibly lead to issues. Your v2 feels right for me and has been outstanding in this regard.

Respecting the upper paddle, I wanted a more consistent "feel." I will try to explain. I have noticed on many of my lowers that the release can feel different. My analogy is to the 1911 trigger. Some releases felt like a creepy 7LB trigger and others could feel like a 2LB race trigger. I was looking for an answer. I welcomed a bit larger paddle but did not want a big paddle. I believed that a bit more leverage for the top paddle, so long as it wasn't extended might be appropriate. I do not like the extension as I believe it can cause an issue. I know I may be in the minority with that thought and voted that way in your other thread. In my mind it results in a possible "twisting" effect. I have nothing but my OCD to support that position. In researching, I really believe the extra degree added to the top paddle was extremely beneficial. Hence, I ordered one and was very impressed. I replaced a stock BC/R that was equated to a creepy 7LB and it was an improvement. My analogy would be a crisp 3LB trigger. I then ordered 2 more and had the same results. They have been consistent. I will be ordering more. In drills and competition they have been beneficial. The bit larger paddle with the extra leverage and consistent release has been an improvement.

I hope I have properly explained myself.

Cheers, Steve
    Last edited by ssc; 04-25-19 at 20:05.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thank you guys

One of the challenges early on was it wasn't easy, or possible, to convey how the redesigned bolt catch felt in the hand of the user. 4 years after the initial production, we have ample user feedback published, enough for potential customers to make an educated decision based on these reports.

We like minimalist approach. That ABC/R's paddles are only moderately angled and enlarged has much to do with the approach, enough to do the job but no more. Over correction has many downsides. Every angle, increase or decrease in size, and change to the original TDP spec has a reason for being, if there's no reason for something to be changed, it stays the same as TDP spec.

ABC/R in 2015 was v1, we're on v3 in 2019. Each newer version incorporates input and feedback from users. In terms of changes, v3 has the most numerous over previous versions, I think you guys will like the upper paddle options, and improvements we made to both upper and lower paddles. Aside from the upper and lower paddles geometry and options, v3 is identical to v2.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920