Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My son's first deer rifle

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Question My son's first deer rifle

Gents, I am looking to buy my son his first gun/deer rifle for his birthday in a couple of months. I have a few questions for those of you that have been down this path.

First off is caliber requirements, must be .243 or larger.

I only have experience with 223/5.56, (ARs), 20 and 12ga shotguns, .308 bolt actions, and a SCAR 17s. My son has shot my AR and SCAR from a bench and does very well with the recoil. So my question here is how does a .243/260/270 bolt rifle compare as far as recoil? (I have not personally shot any of them but I know a 308 bolt gun is too much for him). What would be your recommendations? Go with the .243 or step up to maybe a .260/.270?

Rifle choices, budget is $500-$600 (ish) give or take before optic. Leaning toward a Tikka T3 Lite, any other recommendations are welcome.

The purchase is special to me and him, he won't know it yet until he is much older and says that was my first gun my Dad bought for me. I'd buy him a million dollar rifle if I could but....

With that said, I don't want to just buy him something to buy something, and I have to factor in an optic. I just don't want to go overboard with recoil that he won't want to shoot. If I knew someone that had any as mentioned to try out I would do so but unfortunately I don't.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by MBtech; 02-28-15 at 07:58.
    Work so hard that one day your signature will be called an autograph.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The Tika in 243 would be a great choice. He'll always love whatever you get him.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I am a fan of the .243 Winchester. It is a great deer round So, first, I would recommend the .243 as your caliber. You did not describe your son by age or stature so that leaves some guess work about length of pull, rifle weight, etc. I would go with a full size and cut the stock if necessary but save the piece to add length later.

GunBroker has three nice Mauser style rifles in .243 that include a Churchill, an Oberndorf Mauser, and an Austrain Cougar Voere that fit your price range. I would look at these to refinish the stock with a hand rubbed oil finish as a project to further bond you and your son.

My prejudice is toward older Mauser rifles so please pardon my bias.

I look forward to doing this with my son. Good luck to you and your son.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You did not describe your son by age or stature so that leaves some guess work about length of pull, rifle weight, etc.
    He will be turning 10, just under 5' tall and around 85lbs (I'll have to recheck they grow like weeds)
    image.jpg

Pic from this last summer, he has grown a bit since.
    Last edited by MBtech; 02-28-15 at 03:09.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    What will he be hunting, what ranges, etc?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inebriated View Post
    What will he be hunting, what ranges, etc?
    0 to 100-150 yards tops for starters, most situations will be 100 or less
    Last edited by MBtech; 02-28-15 at 04:23.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Attachment 31955

This was about a year and a half ago with a DPMS AR and a Nikon P223 3x32 scope at 100 yards, far from a top notch setup or groups to write home about, but you get the idea. I'm looking so forward to getting him set up.
    Last edited by MBtech; 02-28-15 at 05:23.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Based on the added info you listed, a 243 sounds like a very good start. It will cover his needs for a varmint/predator rifle as a bonus to being his deer rifle...
    "I would rather be the hammer than the anvil."- Rommel

Owner: Hangar 18 Custom Coatings

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I agree, 243 will always be my first choice if the intended purpose does not call for a .30 cal.

My father bought me a 243 as my first rifle and it is still my favorite to shoot and is worth more to me than all of my other guns combined. You are absolutely right about what this gun will mean to your son. It won't matter to him how fancy the gun is, what will matter is that the gun is his.

Feedback Score
    I'm thinking 7mm-08, I have a couple and recoil is less than the 243 105grn,
    the 243 tops out at about 105, 7mm-08 starts there and does up.

and as you said they grow like weeds so there is more room to grow into. up to larger
    game down the road.

if your ranges will say under the 150yrs why not the 30-30, mild recoil and cheap ammo
    so more shooting to develop those skills .. (just thinking out loud)

just a thought :-) I'm glad to see younguns out shooting and hunting :-)

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast