Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: My son's first deer rifle

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MBtech View Post
    Both of my kids have been going hunting with me since about 5 years old, they are now 10 and 12. I started them out shooting at around 8.

One of the first questions my son had about the rifle was "Can this be a wild boar gun?" Lol, yep sure can buddy no problem. Added even more excitement to the gift

As far as reloading I do not, but it is on the to do list. I know zilch about it but I know there is a wealth of knowledge right here on M4C on the subject for when I want to prepare for it and learn. I have a Rem 700 AAC SD in .308, now we added a Tikka in .243 (I suspect another Tikka going in the safe with dad's name on it as well) So it is a definite worth while investment.
    A little late to the party. The .243 is an awesome round. Great ballistics. Inherently accurate. Makes a good caliber for a 6mm 1000yd rifle.

That said I have tracked more wounded deer shot with a .243 than any other caliber. The reason is exactly what we have heard here. Kids and girls with not a whole lot of experience get handed one because of the low recoil. I am not saying that the .243 is not capable of killing deer. What I am saying is with the 6mm's bullet placement is very important. Those iffy shots you need to pass up. It takes skill and judgment to hunt humanely with a 6mm. I have seen the expressions on the faces as we tracked wounded animals. It is not a good experience for a young inexperienced hunter.

Sounds like your son is a proficient marksman and has the experience and judgment to pick his shot. he will be very happy with the .243.

My first deer rifle was a .308. I was 12. No telling how many deer I killed with that gun. Never missed and never had one run off. Of course back then a 200 yd shot was a long one. I still deer hunt with a .308. Lot nicer one now and have all kinds of other rifles but when I head to the deer stand I take the .308. Nostalgia? or I know it works?

Feedback Score
    Would have to agree with a basic .243 plus decent scope. Will also work out to longer ranges if necessary.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    First shots with first rifle

Well, we finally got to shoot the Tikka today. Picked up some Winchester Super X Power Point 100gr to get started with, mainly because it was cheap and was all my LGS had at the time in 243. We just started off at 50 yards to get him used to the rifle and get on paper. Once the nerves calmed down and he knew what to expect as far as recoil (which I will say as light as the T3 Compact is it does have some thump) but he's doing just fine with it.

These were his last 3 sets of shots in the zeroing process, we were just taking two at a time trying to beat the rain this morning.

Attachment 33386

Next two below these, with one last adjustment afterwords in dead center

Attachment 33392

Last two of the day...

Attachment 33388

Only got to shoot 50 yards today but hey what a way to get off to a great start. Can't wait to try some other ammo and move back to 100. He's well on his way to making good kill shots for hunting, recoil is not an issue, and consistent shot placement around an inch or less on the first go round = success in my book, I was very pleased to see him punching holes right next to each other. Most of all he's loving his rifle and having a blast, and so am I
    Last edited by MBtech; 05-26-15 at 01:30.
    Work so hard that one day your signature will be called an autograph.

Feedback Score
    That is definitely "minute of deer" and with some practice and maybe switching ammo...you can tighten that up some.

With those 100gr Power Points out of my 1964 Savage 99 243, I get similar results and never tried any other round. That is "close enough" for my short range needs for the 243.

That round will take the average white tail nicely at 100yds or less and it devastating on coyotes. I have probably taken more yotes with that round than deer.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by brickboy240 View Post
    That is definitely "minute of deer" and with some practice and maybe switching ammo...you can tighten that up some.

With those 100gr Power Points out of my 1964 Savage 99 243, I get similar results and never tried any other round. That is "close enough" for my short range needs for the 243.

That round will take the average white tail nicely at 100yds or less and it devastating on coyotes. I have probably taken more yotes with that round than deer.

I'm sure after some more practice he will tighten it up more. Definitely going to try several different ammo. At first he was flinching and being a bit timid not knowing what to expect which I suspected, it's only natural for a kid, but after a little coaching and getting him to relax and take his time and the shots started landing that close together while sighting in I was super proud. After the last scope adjustment and he hit dead center I saw the confidence gleaming at that point. The jitters are out of the way now and he's dying to shoot again.

"Minute of deer" that's exactly what I told him, just keep doing that and and prove to me he can do it consistently and out to 100 yards and the deer are in trouble.
    Work so hard that one day your signature will be called an autograph.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789