Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My son's first deer rifle

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    That tikka looks nice.

I have to recommend it if only because Mark recommended a Tikka when I bought my Remington...and well we see what happened. I will live vicariously through you.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I think I'm going to go with a .243 for him. There are more ammunition options to choose from at my local shops in .243 the more I've looked around. My next task is going to be selecting a scope for the rifle. I'm thinking a simple crosshair reticle Considering a 3-9x40 but I don't want to add too much additional weight.
    Last edited by MBtech; 03-03-15 at 19:38.
    Work so hard that one day your signature will be called an autograph.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    That tikka looks nice.

I have to recommend it if only because Mark recommended a Tikka when I bought my Remington...and well we see what happened. I will live vicariously through you.
    I might end up being very jealous

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MBtech View Post
    I think I'm going to go with a .243 for him. There are more ammunition options to choose from at my local shops in .243 the more I've looked around. My next task is going to be selecting a scope for the rifle. I'm thinking a simple crosshair reticle Considering a 3-9x40 but I don't want to add too much additional weight.
    I own a Mueller APV. 4.5-24 or something (I never go above 12). It was like $175 and is a good bang for your buck!
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I own a Mueller APV. 4.5-24 or something (I never go above 12). It was like $175 and is a good bang for your buck!
    Yea, we're not going to go too crazy with his first scope, it's going to get abused getting drug around in the woods I'm sure. $150-$300 tops should get him a decent optic to start out with
    Last edited by MBtech; 03-03-15 at 20:15.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I was originally thinking of setting the gun up with scope installed and already in a case as a package. But I think I have changed my mind on that. They will be separate and we will mount the scope together and then zero the scope together.

Any .243 ammunition recommendations this rifle may like would be great.
    Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Feedback Score
    One of those Nikons in 3x9x40mm ought to do quite well. They can be had in the 100-150 range easily.

I use he Federal Premiums tipped with the Nosler Ballistic Tip in my Savage 99 243. They are extremely accurate, however the Ballistic Tip does quite a bit of meat damage. I mostly shoot coyotes with my 243, but that Nosler really puts them down fast and does some impressive exit wounds!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Update, my local gunshop price on the .243 Tikka T3 Lite Compact is $550.

I agree with Nikon, I have always had good luck with them for a hunting scope. I may look into the Leupold VX-1 and VX-2 line as well they are around $200 also.
    Last edited by MBtech; 03-04-15 at 17:16.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, if you can get a Leupy for 200 go for it.

Around here, I can easily find a Nikon 3x9x40 for 100-125 at our Academy stores.

Also get quality bases and rings. I prefer Redfield or Leupold steel rings and bases.

For ammo...you really need to try a few types and see what the rifle "likes" best. Some bolt guns can group amazingly well with the cheapo stuff and others really benefit from the premium stuff. I have a 30-06 that will throw a 1/2" group at 100yds all day long with the Winchester Power Point cheap stuff from Wal Mart. My brother's 30-06 Browning A-bolt would not do nearly as well and needed Federal Premiums to group that well from the same bench.

There was not a huge difference between 100gr winny Power Points and the Federal Premiums in my 243 Savage...but I choose to hunt mostly with the better ammo. Would the Power Points get the job done? Probably.

You never know unless you try various rounds to see which ones the rifle will like. It might NOT be the pricey stuff.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    This is one of the scopes I'm pondering on.

http://swfa.com/Leupold-3-9x40-VX-1-...pe-P51827.aspx

I think we will start of with trying some Hornady, Win, Federal, and Rem, in the 80-100 gr range.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast