Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: My son's first deer rifle

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    The only thing I've found that concerns me is how the safety is sitting, not sure if this is a big deal, normal, or just maybe a little tweak is needed. The safety seems to be a little crooked and is contacting and leaving a mark on the rear of the bolt. I didn't notice it while purchasing, it operates fine but that is bugging me. Any Tikka owners seen this?

Attachment 32414Attachment 32415[/QUOTE]

That isn't normal and does look cockeyed. I own 5 Tikka's and the safeties are straight and do not make contact . I'd have it looked at. Congrats on your purchase.
    they are great rifles !

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I took the rifle back to the gun shop today and showed him the safety, he's going to get another rifle in this week and trade me so I don't have to mess with it. Shop is on my way to and from work, just a matter of stopping in, checking out another rifle and making a trade. Very happy with the service, big reason why I have done most of my gun and ammo purchasing with him for over 10 years now. Not a big deal.

Thanks for the info JW5219.

ETA: Glad I started this project well ahead of time and make sure everything is right for him. I still have a month to get the scope, sling, and some ammo.
    Last edited by MBtech; 03-28-15 at 13:35.
    Work so hard that one day your signature will be called an autograph.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JW5219 View Post
    The only thing I've found that concerns me is how the safety is sitting, not sure if this is a big deal, normal, or just maybe a little tweak is needed. The safety seems to be a little crooked and is contacting and leaving a mark on the rear of the bolt. I didn't notice it while purchasing, it operates fine but that is bugging me. Any Tikka owners seen this?

Attachment 32414Attachment 32415
    That isn't normal and does look cockeyed. I own 5 Tikka's and the safeties are straight and do not make contact . I'd have it looked at. Congrats on your purchase.
    they are great rifles ![/QUOTE]

Not normal, looks like it may have been bumped during assembly.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    they are great rifles !
    Not normal, looks like it may have been bumped during assembly.[/QUOTE]

Thanks guys, I didn't think it should be like that, never had a Tikka but my guy at the gunshop is being very helpful to make it right for me. Looks like I'll most likely be trading out for another T3Compact.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I gave my son the Tikka this weekend and what a precious moment! I'm not sure who's smile was bigger his or mine Watching him open up the box with no clue what was inside and watch his eyes light up will be a memory I will never forget. The rifle fits him perfect as I suspected it would to watch him shoulder it and nestle his cheek against it. I can't wait for the first range session! I'll add more about how it goes after he starts getting some trigger time in with it. Pretty sure Dad won the best birthday gift award this year

ETA: The replacement rifle safety lever is not crooked much better, that was for sure not normal on the first gun.

Thanks again for all the suggestions guys.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    That's awesome!
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Perfect pick mb! You cant beat the 243 as a starter gun. I started with a marlin 336, and the leupold 2-7 scope. The 2-7 would be perfect to start, it will keep it compact and light. Not only can this rifle serve as a starter hunting rifle, you could also use it to get into long range shooting. 243 is a great lr round. If your looking for a good 6mm deer bullet look into the 100gr partition. I know federal used to load it in there vital shok line.

The tikka should shoot great, they guarantee sub moa out of the box. Some of my best memories are from going hunting with my dad when I was younger. So I know he will enjoy it. There needs to be more fathers out there like you that carry on the tradition of teaching there children to hunt, and shoot. Without fathers like you our second amendment rights could dissapear withing a generation. Sorry for going a little off topic.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jstone View Post
    Perfect pick mb! You cant beat the 243 as a starter gun. I started with a marlin 336, and the leupold 2-7 scope. The 2-7 would be perfect to start, it will keep it compact and light. Not only can this rifle serve as a starter hunting rifle, you could also use it to get into long range shooting. 243 is a great lr round. If your looking for a good 6mm deer bullet look into the 100gr partition. I know federal used to load it in there vital shok line.

The tikka should shoot great, they guarantee sub moa out of the box. Some of my best memories are from going hunting with my dad when I was younger. So I know he will enjoy it. There needs to be more fathers out there like you that carry on the tradition of teaching there children to hunt, and shoot. Without fathers like you our second amendment rights could dissapear withing a generation. Sorry for going a little off topic.

Thanks man, not off topic at all that's what this thread is all about!

Picking out a great gun for a great son to make a lot of memories with!

My son and daughter both are the two best shooting/hunting buddies I could possibly ask for

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Even better getting your daughter invovled, there are not enough young girls shooting. They will never forget the time spent hunting and shooting with dad. Next step if you dont already is reloading.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jstone View Post
    Even better getting your daughter invovled, there are not enough young girls shooting. They will never forget the time spent hunting and shooting with dad. Next step if you dont already is reloading.
    Both of my kids have been going hunting with me since about 5 years old, they are now 10 and 12. I started them out shooting at around 8.

One of the first questions my son had about the rifle was "Can this be a wild boar gun?" Lol, yep sure can buddy no problem. Added even more excitement to the gift

As far as reloading I do not, but it is on the to do list. I know zilch about it but I know there is a wealth of knowledge right here on M4C on the subject for when I want to prepare for it and learn. I have a Rem 700 AAC SD in .308, now we added a Tikka in .243 (I suspect another Tikka going in the safe with dad's name on it as well) So it is a definite worth while investment.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast