Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Unconventional/Uncommon/Unique Items in Your Kit

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by elephant View Post
    I have been stranded before. About 1.5 hours away from the nearest gas station.
    Man you need a HAM radio. with all that stuff you bought, what if you had been injured instead of just stuck? You would still be SOL.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    After reading this thread and buying a few things. Rethinking a few things. ... and just having so many 'things' that I don;t use that often or hardly at all.

The most unusual thing I am going to add is an instructional manual that is written in my words with large type and photos. Waterproof storage on paper and pdf.

Why large type.... all of the manuals seem to like microscopic type these days and if I were to lose my contacts or glasses they are useless to me.
    Why pictures... same thing.... I may not have time to recall 'what goes where'.
    Why not just re-write the manual?... Because I want it in my words. After learning the 5 step manual way. I want the two step real world way.

There are so many things we use that it's near impossible to remember how everything works. What if I remember there is a trick to figuring out what time of day it is, or how to reset a certain device. Well I don't have time to read through a survival book.

So that's going to be my addition. My spare brain that remembers the things I have available to me and how to use them quickly and safely.

I had to go to a forum,that then referenced my owners manual, on how to reset a 'service due' on my 4Runner that took me say an hour to 'remember' a 10 second sequence of pushing buttons. If I had my own survival manual, I could have solved that issue in 2 minutes.

... and the worst part would be if someone else had to use your gear to save you and they had everything they needed but no instructions.

So I have come to believe that everyone's gear bag should have an owner written instruction manual that practically anyone could read quickly and utilize.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    Vaseline infused cotton balls in a zip lock bag for fire starting.

- light, compact and work like magic.
    Old quote, but it's the vaseline you need. Skip the cotton balls if you want. I've smeared Neosporin from my FAK onto tinder and it works the same.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
    Old quote, but it's the vaseline you need. Skip the cotton balls if you want. I've smeared Neosporin from my FAK onto tinder and it works the same.
    Nice, never would have thought about the Neosporin as a fire starter had you not mentioned. I guess that's true of any similar antibiotic/vaseline-based ointment, and they all seem to be
    * Just Your Average Jewish Redneck *
    Participant in Year-Long Gun Fighting Training Program
    Competition Shooter in NRA, CMP, IDPA
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shao View Post
    Condoms and anti-biotics... you never know what kind of STDs will run rampant after the SHTF.
    This is a good idea.

Feedback Score
    An old metal spile for tapping trees as a back up means for gathering water.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Five hundred dollars in Ones, Tens, Twenties, Fifty's. I want to be able to buy my way out of trouble as quick as I bought my way in to trouble!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3 AE View Post
    Five hundred dollars in Ones, Tens, Twenties, Fifty's. I want to be able to buy my way out of trouble as quick as I bought my way in to trouble!
    Same here, plus 5 $100 bills

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Superglue. Closes up deep clean cuts nicely. Plus several other uses, but this works like a quick butterfly bandaid.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1_click_off View Post
    Superglue. Closes up deep clean cuts nicely. Plus several other uses, but this works like a quick butterfly bandaid.
    Super difficult to keep after being opened. This is my only disagreement. If you have a solution I am all ears! I keep mine taped up right on the back wall of the refrigerator. (inside the unit) but this is the only way I have found to make it last more than a month after opening.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    "It is better to be a Warrior in a Garden than a Gardner in a War"
    Let's use the First Amendment to protect the Second so we can avoid using the Second to protect the First.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast