Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: MOA challenge

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

MOA challenge

Keep it simple 5 shot groups, 5 groups per target at 100 yards.

1 MOA = 100 Yards = 1.047"
    ––––––––-50 Yards = 0.5235"
    ––––––––-25 Yards = 0.26175"

REMEMBER this, all 5 groups of 5 shots must AVERAGE 1 MOA to make the list and claim the title of being a 1 MOA shooter.

Doing one .99" group and four 1.5" groups does not equal a 1 MOA shooter, it means you got lucky once and you are a 1.398 MOA shooter (assuming a 100 yard target)

With that in mind here are the rules.

1. ONE sheet of paper, 8.5”x11” preferred and it MUST HAVE ALL 5 targets.

Meaning 1 sheet of paper with FIVE targets. NO INDIVIDUAL TARGETS. THEY WILL NOT COUNT.

2. On that 1 sheet of paper with 5 targets you shoot 5 groups of 5 shots each. (In one day)

3. Each group is measured OUTSIDE GREASE RING TO OUTSIDE GREASE RING with calipers (preferred) or tape rule in inches. Then subtract the diameter of one bullet IE if your shooting a .223 and your 5 shot group measures 1.13" you will subtract 0.224" to get a group of 0.906". If you are shooting a .22lr you will subtract 0.223", for a 308 you will subtract 0.308" (Remember- the more precise your measurement the better)

Some common measurements:
    .172" - .17 HMR
    .223" - .22 Short, Long, Long Rifle
    .224" - .223 Remington, .22 WMR, .22 Hornet
    .243" - .243 Winchester
    .284" - 7mm-08 Remington, 7mm Mag
    .308" - .308 Winchester, .30-06, .300 Mag
    .311" - 7.62x39 Soviet, .303 British
    .338" - .338 Mag

4. NO MECHANICAL REST/SLED, NO VICE OR SIMILAR DEVICE THAT SUPPORTS THE ENITRE RIFLE, NO SHOOTING JACKETS, NO STRAPPING THE GUN INTO ANYTHING, NO LARGE REAR SANDBAG ** OR REST. SHOOTER MUST HAVE POSITIVE CONTROL OF RIFLE.

THE POINT IS TO SEE HOW GOOD YOU SHOOT, NOT HOW WELL YOU CAN MOUNT IT IN A MACHINE.

5. OK TO USE sandbag, rest, ruck, bipod, rock with a hat, sling etc. on forearm of the rifle.

**Will be OK to use a small rear sandbag (ie: sand sock or squeeze bag) or bean bag that must require constant hand pressure to maintain hold on target.

IE. Can NOT sandbag gun in place. Shooter must maintain positive control of rifle. No formed or V-shaped rests/bags

Some approved bags

Triad Red Tac

Triad Wedgie

CrossTac Squeeze bag

Accuracy First shooting bag

6. Shooting position is up to you, sitting, standing, prone.

7. Posting: (please try to post using the proper format).

1st picture of target set at the range you are shooting. If you are shooting more than one rifle at the same range using the same pic is okay.

2nd picture with 5 groups of 5 shots each, next to them write down group size.

3rd picture with calipers (or tape rule) left in place over BEST group.

4th picture of rifle and shooting setup (ie. Sandbag, prone and so on). Post all4 pics and also type in the post your 5 group sizes and what the average is. IE. .99”, 1.5”, 1.5”, 1.5”, 1.5” add them up, equals 6.99” and divide by five. So 6.99/5 = 1.398”

You can use the MOA formula, either way I will check the math and post the MOA on the result list.

For those of you who would like to use ontarget, http://ontargetshooting.com/

Also type up specs of your rifle and ammo IE. Rem 700 with 168gr Federal SMK or Colt AR15 18" with Wolf 55gr FMJ or AK with 125gr Hand Loads PLEASE INCLUDE AMMO USED

*** Please include result at the end of your post in the final format:

If you do not post in this format or leave anything out your post will not be included.

This also goes for the 1 MOA list. Meaning only your best MOA will be ranked on the 1 MOA list BUT if you also shoot 1 MOA or less with a different rifle, that will also count and your name will be added to the list for each different rifle you shoot 1 MOA or less with.

9. Remember, this is NOT a Bullseye challenge, it's a Groups challenge.

10. Any and all ammo is fine I don't care if you use Factory loads or your super secret Hand Load that Moses gave you.

11. Ties in average will go to the shooter with the smallest group.

Last edited by Toecheese; 08-08-15 at 18:34.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Maybe you could explain what it is?
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Last edited by Toecheese; 07-26-15 at 18:52.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Perfect timing. I was just ready to post this picture in another thread. I think I found the sweet spot for my Ultramatch barrel. all averages are including every bullet shot. I had a couple Flyers that I marked but they were still included In all the averages. this is the best that I have ever shot in my life. first time I've ever used 73 grain Bergers or the 55 grain Vmax. the two groups with the circle around them were two different loads that I screwed up and mixed the bullets with the other load so a couple 25.3's were mixed with 25.0's and vice versa for those 2 groups circled on the right side. I think those 2 groups would have been better if I didn't mix the loads. They even look a Lil out of place compared to the first 4 groups.

Last edited by Dirtyboy333; 03-03-15 at 19:13.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I feel like this is better suited to TOS where people are more boastful and generally worse shooters due to the bigger user base and greater skew towards the hobbyist rather than the professional.

That being said, I was planning doing some precision rifle shooting tomorrow... but 25 rds is $36 out of my Surgeon 6.5cm with factory ammo.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Koshinn;2090 598
    I feel like this is better suited to TOS where people are more boastful and generally worse shooters due to the bigger user base and greater skew towards the hobbyist rather than the professional.

That being said, I was planning doing some precision rifle shooting tomorrow... but 25 rds is $36 out of my Surgeon 6.5cm with factory ammo.
    I agree. I was actually looking for a different thread that was collecting data for SPR barrels but spotted this in the process

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyboy333 View Post
    Perfect timing. I was just ready to post this picture in another thread. I think I found the sweet spot for my Ultramatch barrel. all averages are including every bullet shot. I had a couple Flyers that I marked but they were still included In all the averages. this is the best that I have ever shot in my life. first time I've ever used 73 grain Bergers or the 55 grain Vmax. the two groups with the circle around them were two different loads that I screwed up and mixed the bullets with the other load so a couple 25.3's were mixed with 25.0's and vice versa for those 2 groups circled on the right side. I think those 2 groups would have been better if I didn't mix the loads. They even look a Lil out of place compared to the first 4 groups.

Awesome.....now could you post up the format under the guidelines? Best group is .772 MOA? What are specs of rifle? Ammo?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    20" WOA 1:7 Match upper with Leaupold VX-2 glass, 100 yds 55g .223: 1.036/1.536/1.526/1.026/1.027 avg:1.230=1.174 MOA

Best three sets were using Wolf 55g, tried 69 and 75g as well but nothing consistent (best 5 shot group of day was .48 MOA).....back to the drawing board

Last edited by Toecheese; 08-11-15 at 17:32.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    yeah no problem. I'm at work right now but when I get home I'll post the specs and whatever the guidelines say to do. But no the best group is like a.293" the average for all 30 groups fired was a point .773": the mo used is written in red marker underneath the groups. Powder was all Varget

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyboy333 View Post
    yeah no problem. I'm at work right now but when I get home I'll post the specs and whatever the guidelines say to do. But no the best group is like a.293" the average for all 30 groups fired was a point .773": the mo used is written in red marker underneath the groups. Powder was all Varget
    The dude was banned. Don't feel you have to prove anything to that knuckhead.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast