Thread: Catastrophic Ammo Malfunction

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)

Catastrophic Ammo Malfunction

FYI-

I am curious to know how many others have seen any problems like this with any other type of ammunition. Here is a brief summary of what happened.

Range training was being conducted by Ex Pats and TCN guards using Ak's. The ammo in question was Prvi Partizan 7.62x39 manufactured in 1979. No information as to how ammunition was stored, its' origins, or anything else. The ammo literally fuzed itself into the chamber area and will not come out. This happened to a total of (4) AK's. More than likely they are now going to be destroyed. I am attaching a pic for viewing pleasure.

Attachment 1076

Feedback Score
    Very interesting malfunction. It look like a weld job! I bet the ammo was sitting in the sun in a conex for a few years. I may have cause the powder to burn in a way that it wasn't supposed to do.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    How much of the case (if any) ejected?

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Yesterday I dissected the chamber/ barrel with a Dremel and removed the round and clump of brass. I do not have the expended cartridge because this happened at another site and the weapons were sent to me for repair. It appears that the neck portion of the cartridge is what was inside. I'll post a pic later.