Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Initial impression using mineral salt deodorant

Feedback Score
    Final update: So we're seeing over 90 degrees every day, and as TX has seen crazy levels of rainfall, humidity here in San Antonio is higher than any other time since arriving here in 2008, so needless to say, I've been sweating a lot. And often I will work out after work, sometimes spending over an hour on an outside track in 85-93 degree heat. A slight breeze and wicking fabrics keep me fairly dry, but I'm sweating my butt off, and I know under normal conditions, using past deodorants, I'd be a funky monkey driving home to hit the shower.

But I swear, I no longer get much, if any, BO.

I use the mineral stick daily, sometimes twice, immediately after showers. I use whatever cheap body wash we happened to stock up on at the grocery store (usually what's on sale), sometimes Costco's natural stuff. But the key, I believe, is to put it on after every shower, when you are clean, and let your armpits air dry before putting on a shirt.

So, as always, YMMV, but I've got both my wife and daughter hooked on the stuff.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    How did you get past the burn? These things killed my underarms. I have heard that once you sweat out the toxins you stop stinking but I can't get passed the burn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Matthew 10:28

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sadmin View Post
    How did you get past the burn? These things killed my underarms. I have heard that once you sweat out the toxins you stop stinking but I can't get passed the burn.

I've not had any burns/rashes/dry skin from using the mineral stick.

Your armpits don't smell from toxins in your sweat. The body odor is from bacteria living on warm wet areas of your body.

The mineral stick leaves a light film of salts and minerals that inhibit the bacterial growth. Again, for me, this product works awesome and I will continue to use until it fails to work or I can no longer find it.

FYI...a side benefit is it lasts forever! I've been using the same stick since late February and at the rate its lasting, it will be well over a year before I have to buy another. Not bad for a $6 product!

Take Care,

Buzz

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzinSATX View Post
    I've been trying to get my family away from chemical anti-perspirant/deodorants using "natural" products such as "Toms of Maine" and a couple others, without much luck. I also used things like baby powder, corn starch, and baking soda. Every product I tried was either messy, a pain in the butt to use, or expensive, and by mid afternoon, I could tell the 'deodorant' factor had pretty much wore off and I'd be starting to get 'funky'.

Then, I stumbled across this:

http://greenvirginproducts.com/deodo...-oz-120-grams/

I ordered several for myself, wife, and college age daughter. I asked them to give the product a try for 5 days and I'd do the same. So far, after 10 days, the results are excellent, and we are all very happy with these stones and plan to keep using them.

For $6, it is a very cheap, simple solution. Get out of the shower, wet the stone with water, rub the stone in your pits 8-12 times (you want the minerals to get on your skin), dry the stone, give your pits a few minutes to air dry, and press on. No stains, no visible residue, and thus far, they've kept me "funk free" until I go to bed on the days I don't workout after work.

The stones work by providing a layer of salts and minerals that resists odor causing bacteria. It won't 'freshen up up' if you already sweat and are in a funk, it only works on clean skin, but so far, it's better than anything else I've ever used, chemical or natural.
    Have you read the main ingredient in this stuff? It is potassium aluminum sulfate. I thought that's what you are trying to avoid? That is probably why it works so well

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    Have you read the main ingredient in this stuff? It is potassium aluminum sulfate. I thought that's what you are trying to avoid? That is probably why it works so well
    Yes and no. Primarily worried about the dyes and perfumes which are toxic. These minerals are in rock form, not mixed with chems and other carcinogens.

http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ingredie...TASSIUM_ALUM/#

I may be wrong using this, but I do know my skin likes this stone way better than the sprays or deoderant sticks that used to give me rashes, irritations

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sadmin View Post

By 'burn' I'm assuming the crystal is too dry and you're feeling more of a friction type brush burn. I exerienced that too in the beginning. To get the thing to work you really need to wet it, and your underarms as well. Reapply water to the crystal when you move to the other side. And as mentioned earlier, it takes a lot of passes to get complete coverage to be effective.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Much easier to just pick up a spray can of Arrid X-tra Dry at the grocery store, not to mention its greater effectiveness as an anti-perspirant. I fail to see any benefit of the so-called "natural" products other than their value as a marketing tool.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I just wanted to give an update for long term usage, plus some field experience n hot humid conditions. I just returned from a two week trip to Vietnam, with average air temps in the 90's and relative humidity spiking around 70-80%. My normal environment is the hot dry southwest (I think 30% RH is the highest I've seen during our short 'monsoon season', and this is considered very humid; normally I think we hover in the teens), so I was eager to see if any performance changes would occur after getting into high humidity.
    1) at home, daily usage for the first month (with a pre-treatment of scented alcohol mentioned earlier) has been very effective at long term odor control. I stopped using the alcohol after a week, partly because of a high travel schedule but mostly because I felt it was no longer needed. After establishing a good film of crystal deodarant under the arms, I've observed that daily usage is no longer required to prevent odor from occurring. I believe this is due to the crystal preventing bacterial growth; once the underarm is conditioned, the stink causing bacteria is reduced to a level that will not be noticable. The key here is to get a good solid layer of crystal and leave it there. At this point I can feel whether the barrier is adequate or if I need to reapply. When I shower, I now rinse daily with water, and scrub with soap and water once a week, and after particularly hard work days when it feels like I've been sweating profusely. Light sweat does not seem to have much affect on the crystal barrier in terms of protection. To be honest, I'm not sure I've needed to reapply the crytal outside of my weekly scrub.
    2) Vietnam was hot and humid (and this was the dry season- no idea just how bad it gets there during the hottest, wettest times) so I was eager to see what changes I would need to my routine in order to keep protection. In short, I scrubbed with soap and water daily the first four days, and reappled the crystal each time. No changes to effectiveness was observed, despite the fact that I was constantly perspiring, even when sitting, and had some full on soaking sweats for the better part of the day. After those four days, I still showered daily (sometimes three times a day), but the showers were mostly just fresh water rinses, with a traditional soap and water scrub before bed. The soap and water scrubs excluded under the arms- no real change in odor was observed, except for one day when I scrubbed with soap but did not reapply for two days. The change was minor, nothing after 24 hours and after 48 hrs more of a mild BO and not full on funk of unwashed all natural granola eaters. Normal crystal application took care of that right right away.
    Unscientific Conclusion: regular thorough application early on has mitigated the need for daily reapplication. Long term effectiveness at controlling odor is due to preventing regowth of bacteria, even if no barrier exists for short durations.

Feedback Score
    I'm still using the original stick I bought a while back (Feb 2015????). And it kept me pretty much odor free through a hot and kinda humid San Antonio summer using daily immediately after showers. Based on the minerals remaining, I'm expecting this stick to last well into Spring, not bad for a $7.00 deodorant I use daily. I'm buying another soon just to have ready, but his thing will easily last 12 months.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    Much easier to just pick up a spray can of Arrid X-tra Dry at the grocery store, not to mention its greater effectiveness as an anti-perspirant. I fail to see any benefit of the so-called "natural" products other than their value as a marketing tool.
    Because regular deodorants and/or antiperspirants make my armpit skin very itchy. The Dove sensitive skin stuff is ok, but I have also used the mineral crystal with good odor control, no perfumes, and zero itch, even on freshly shaved skin.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
    Two broken Tigers, on fire in the night,
    Flicker their souls to the wind...
    -Roads to Moscow

Not Forgotten:
    http://www.virtualwall.org/dk/KillenJD01a.htm
    http://www.virtualwall.org/db/BoddenTR01a.htm

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast