Thread: Colt AR-15 Model 614?

Feedback Score

Colt AR-15 Model 614?

Ran across an early full-auto Colt marked as above, SN range 209XXX.

Someone has put an A2 style upper on it with a tear-drop shaped forward assist button, so it's obviously not original. Have no idea where original upper is at.

What sort of price would such a weapon bring these days?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Depending on the condition of the lower receiver, I would say somewhere around $12,000. Does it have the original fire control parts in it? If so, look for wear on the hammer where it rides the carrier. Look also at the carrier (assuming it is the original) at where the hammer rubs against it. Inspect the top rear of the lower receiver just above where the receiver extension (buffer tube) threads into the lower receiver. Is it very worn from the charging handle? Does the lower have its original anodizing?

These things all will affect price. But I would say $12k would be fair if the lower is in good shape.

Feedback Score
    Ill give you $500 just because I like you!

Hope this helps:

http://www.dealernfa.com/406028%20Co...odel%20614.htm

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'd wait to see if some nut can get the 86 and 89 bans overturned in light of the heller decision language before I'd be toying with the notion of a 12k Machine gun.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    yeah, I'd say josh is close. it is the lower that commands the money and not having an original upper on the rifle is not a big deal. if the gun is in good shape $11 - 12,000 in todays market is fair. (but then the seller needs to find someone that agrees with that valuation and wants to purchase the gun in order to get the $.)

kjo

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies. This is a department gun that was gifted to us on a Form 10, so it'll have to stay in the toy box. Now for a dedicated .22 LR upper!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Goodwin View Post
    Thanks for the replies. This is a department gun that was gifted to us on a Form 10, so it'll have to stay in the toy box. Now for a dedicated .22 LR upper!
    Well in that case, it is worth nothing. In fact, if it is one of the DoD-loaned form-10 guns your department cannot even sell it as a parts kit because it still technically belongs to the DoD and is only on loan.

It is such a shame that form-10 guns can NEVER be transferable to individuals. NFA items that transfer on a form-10 are strictly Government/LE Deparment only entities. I believe they may also go to a federally recognized museum, though the DoD-loaned guns still cannot unless the DoD itself transfers them to a museum. What a shame.

The fact that there is an M16A2 upper on it sounds like it was armorer "upgraded" to an A2. Does it also have an A2 buttstock? Are there any overstamp markings designating it as M16A2? How about the fire control lettering; was the auto marking re-engraved or re-stamped to burst marking? Does it have M16A2 burst internals? Can you snap a few pics?

I love my 614...have it set up with a Colt M4-SOCOM heavy barreled upper and collapsible stock with H2 buffer; it shoots like a dream.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kjo View Post
    $11 - 12,000 in todays market is fair. (but then the seller needs to find someone that agrees with that valuation and wants to purchase the gun in order to get the $.)

kjo
    I think an $11k 614 would sell within a few minutes of being posted. Heck, I'd be extremely tempted at that price if I didn't know that the wifey would kill me for spending that much right now.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    If this gun came from the military, it is not a 614.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm