Thread: advice needed for precision autoloader ar type rifle

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

advice needed for precision autoloader ar type rifle

I have this buddy of mine that had caught the long range bug. He doesn't know much about equipment in the ar world. Always been a 400 yd in bolt gun guy in30-06. He came in to some money and wants to buy precision ar type 800-1000yd gun.

Open to suggestions in caliber and rifle. Needs to have decent magazines. Budget is 3500 for the gun.

He's asking about 6.5 creedmoor. It seems like a good caliber, but I haven't found alot of info out there. JP rifles seems to come up alot in those discussions. I have zero experience with 6.5

He owns nothing at this point. So investing in a caliber isn't an issue. The guy doesn't reload, and I don't either, yet.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'd stick with 77 gr OTMs and make life easy if this is just for recreational long range pleasure. Spend the money on good ammo or equipment to make good ammo and just get a decent 16"-20" AR. BCM SS, Sionics, etc.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    No question about it. It really depends... 77s offer the best value as far as getting a lot of practice. But if the plan is only 20-30 rounds per month, a higher cost round that's more efficient might work too.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    This is the one I got. It shoots Sierra Match Kings at 100 yds as small as .375 inches. The target pictured was shot with left over hunting bullets from deer hunting the year before. They were Sierra 65 gr. Game Kings.

Look here and scroll down to Post #6 + #19:

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?...+varmint+upper
    Last edited by gt40; 03-24-15 at 10:27.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I have had very good experience with 6.5 Grendel out of barrels down to 13.7". I am not widely versed in the intermediate calibers, and I do not reload, so something that is a good performer that can be readily sourced, while not necessarily the penultimate solution, is the direction that I personally would go.

From Tapatalk:
    Jack Leuba
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Another option is discussed in this thread:
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...5-variant-info
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    I can't imagine wanting to move to a 1000 yd. rifle and not already being a competent reloader. I'd think learning to shoot a precision factory AR rifle and learning to feed it precision home-made custom ammo in 5.56 would be the first step. That would gobble up $3500 real fast. You'll find more expert personal help, more expert written help and a wider variety of lessons to learn.

Feedback Score
    Last edited by rcoodyar15; 03-27-15 at 05:15.