Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 5.56 Real World Performance

Feedback Score
    50 gr tsx performs great out of an 8" barrel so I'd say it's worth a shot. If someone chrono ed it in both and plugged into a bells tics Calc youd have a decent idea.

Feedback Score
    CHP used the Winchester 64gr PP for many years before switching to a bonded load. From what I have heard they had good results in all cases except when encountering vehicles, and especially windshields (hence the switch to the bonded load). Many deer have been taken with this load as well, a good success, and the hunters report large wound channels, and deep penetration.

Any of the .223/5.56 conventional (unbonded) 64gr loads, bonded loads in 55-64gr, and monolithic 50-70gr Barnes loads work very well. The heavy OTMs are falling out of favor due to very poor barrier performance, and greater velocity dependence, but they are great on unobstructed shots. The biggest mistake people make is trying to use lightly constructed varmint bullets, and OTMs to get into vehicles. Most .223/5.56 failures are with 55gr, and below varmint style bullets that are not suitable for defensive use.

Here are some shootings involving .223/5.56 that were successful. As I mentioned before some of the greatest failures of the round involved suspects in vehicles, or behind cover. Many of these are using 55gr loads, and below.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/la...d-jerad-miller

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/ne...ut-5578256.php

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/...lowTwt_PHBrand
    Last edited by bernieb90; 10-11-15 at 23:55.

Feedback Score
    Are there any documented cases not involving barriers ,of any 5.56 round failing to stop a bad guy with a solid torso hit?

Feedback Score
    There was a guy who took multiple pistol and 556 rounds before going down and they still had to wrestle him into cuffs before he bled out. Many hits were in the chest but don't know what the internal damage was.

Feedback Score
    Howdy,

Very interesting thread!

Thanks do all the useful and helpful information.

Paul

Feedback Score
    How about the blackhills 62gr tsx 5.56 round.........any info?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by survivorman View Post
    How about the blackhills 62gr tsx 5.56 round.........any info?
    My testing shows that it penetrates slightly less than the 70gr, and expands violently while retaining 100% of its mass in close-up water jug shots. The 70gr GMX I tested, did NOT do this. It fragged and tumbled. I really like the 62gr TSX, but it averages about 2.5 MOA out of my rifle (10 shot groups, 100 yards, Aimpoint and magnifier) while RA556B manages 2.0 MOA (same story) average of 3 10-shot groups, no fliers discounted.

I am awaiting my 75gr Gold Dots to arrive.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234