Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NEW Review: Military-specific application of nutritional supplements

Feedback Score
    Fish oil and glucosamine most definitely work. Lift heavy and dont take those pills. See how you feel. I dont know about multi vitamins but i rarely get sick and i take my.multis!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Claycow View Post
    Fish oil and glucosamine most definitely work. Lift heavy and dont take those pills. See how you feel. I dont know about multi vitamins but i rarely get sick and i take my.multis!
    Glucos, multi, and for most, fish oil, all come in cap/pill form, so that comment makes no sense.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Glucos, multi, and for most, fish oil, all come in cap/pill form, so that comment makes no sense.
    I think he means that if you were to lift heavy and not take your pills, you'd feel like shit.

Regardless, the paper - apart from its incomplete data - seems to verify what the athlete community has known for a long time now, which is that strenuous activity over long periods can cause or extrapolate deficiencies, which can be largely mitigated and corrected with proper nutrition and supplementation. The .mil community is, however - and unsurprisingly - bureaucratic and thus slow to adapt. If they were smart, they'd hire someone who's managed a professional sports program and knows how to protect their investment, which I suppose would be asinine when you can lose however many millions of dollars every year without a thought.

The fact is that .mil demands largely mimic those of power sports, and it would make sense that the findings re. supplementation would as well. Perhaps I'm wrong.
    Last edited by MM OneSix; 05-25-15 at 14:54.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MM OneSix View Post
    I think he means that if you were to lift heavy and not take your pills, you'd feel like shit.
    I didn't get that from what he said.

Regardless, the paper - apart from its incomplete data -
    Incomplete data?

seems to verify what the athlete community has known for a long time now, which is that strenuous activity over long periods can cause or extrapolate deficiencies, which can be largely mitigated and corrected with proper nutrition and supplementation. The .mil community is, however - and unsurprisingly - bureaucratic and thus slow to adapt. If they were smart, they'd hire someone who's managed a professional sports program and knows how to protect their investment, which I suppose would be asinine when you can lose however many millions of dollars every year without a thought.

The fact is that .mil demands largely mimic those of power sports, and it would make sense that the findings re. supplementation would as well. Perhaps I'm wrong.
    There are indeed some stressors from sports/athletics that would have cross over to mil, and some unique to mil even unique to different groups within mil and so on down the line. The paper attempts to make the mil et al community as large aware of the data that exists, and addresses some of the additional issues that need to be looked at.

The bottom line is, the appropriate and targeted use of some supplements could save a huge amount of $$$ and reduce drop out rates and down time.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I didn't get that from what he said.
    I respectfully think you got it wrong.

Incomplete data?
    From the Conclusion, first paragraph: "The authors suggest that much of this dispute stems from the continued need for additional data..." I read it in some haste so maybe I fudged that. Doesn't matter.

The bottom line is, the appropriate and targeted use of some supplements could save a huge amount of $$$ and reduce drop out rates and down time.
    I wholly agree with you on this, though I don't envision the onus moving away from the individual soldier save for the select, Tier 1 programs - which is to imagine a group of guys already given to better caring for themselves than the average grunt. See my previous comment about protecting investments.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I respectfully think you got it wrong.
    He'll have to clarify I guess.

From the Conclusion, first paragraph: "The authors suggest that much of this dispute stems from the continued need for additional data..." I read it in some haste so maybe I fudged that. Doesn't matter.
    I'd thought you meant the authors (myself and Dr. H) had supplied insufficient data to support the position vs. there being a lack of overall data to support their use in the mil. The bold text is correct, but I'm a tad biased.

I wholly agree with you on this, though I don't envision the onus moving away from the individual soldier save for the select, Tier 1 programs - which is to imagine a group of guys already given to better caring for themselves than the average grunt. See my previous comment about protecting investments.
    The SOF guys are, as you'd expect, much more switched on a a group to training, supplements, etc (use patterns cited in the paper for SOF) but as a rule are still left to their own devices when it comes to understanding supplements. See also our short LTE to JSOM on similar discussions if interested.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    Mmonesix had it correct. I just forgot a comma and truth be told its the only way that sentence made sense.

As for the comment of military hiring professsionals. Im fairly certain they do, just the dissemination down to the lower ranks is lacking and integating it into doctrine gets it all jumbled.

I was also thinking about how stupid the army is, i played sports and knew the basics of working out. Things like warming up before an exercise. I realized all my aches and pains are from the army, i now have tendonitis in my achilles, probably because they would start out all out sprinting with no warm up on runs. This results from ignorance but also again, stupid army placing people in charge of workouts who have never done sporta. They say if youre not puking, youre not getting a good workout. Dumbest people ever.

If youre army there is something called army wellness center. EXCELLENT resource.
    Last edited by Claycow; 05-25-15 at 23:43.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Some additional support for the paper I co authored linked in the OP:

Oral Antioxidant Vitamins and Magnesium Limit Noise-induced Hearing Loss by Promoting Sensory Hair Cell Survival: Role of Antioxidant Enzymes and Apoptosis Genes

Abstract

Noise induces oxidative stress in the cochlea followed by sensory cell death and hearing loss. The proof of principle that injections of antioxidant vitamins and Mg2+ prevent noise-induced hearing loss (NIHL) has been established. However, effectiveness of oral administration remains controversial and otoprotection mechanisms unclear.

Using auditory evoked potentials, quantitative PCR and immunocytochemistry, we explored effects of oral administration of vitamins A, C, E and Mg2+ (ACEMg) on auditory function and sensory cell survival following NIHL in rats. Oral ACEMg reduced auditory thresholds shifts after NIHL. Improved auditory function correlated with increased survival of sensory outer hair cells. In parallel, oral ACEMg modulated the expression timeline of antioxidant enzymes in the cochlea after NIHL. There was increased expression of Glutathione peroxidase-1 and Catalase at 1 and 10 days, respectively. Also, pro-apoptotic Caspase-3 and Bax levels were diminished in ACEMg-treated rats, at 10 and 30 days, respectively, following noise overstimulation, whereas, at day 10 after noise exposure, the levels of anti-apoptotic Bcl-2, were significantly increased.

Therefore, oral ACEMg improves auditory function by limiting sensory hair cell death in the auditory receptor following NIHL. Regulation of the expression of antioxidant enzymes and apoptosis-related proteins in cochlear structures is involved in such otoprotective mechanism.

https://www.preprints.org/manuscript/202011.0442/v1
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    Good read. I got on the beta alanine train early. I read a couple studies in college back in 2004-06 timeframe and started using it. It really helps with endurance and i have come to enjoy the tingles you get from taking it. It has been a while since i read anything on it, but from my understanding it delays lactic acid build up therefore increasing endurance and as an affect strength.

Creatine is another good, proven supplement i use as well as the basics like fish oil and vit d

I have recently started reading about magnesium and the various types. What are your thoughts on Magnesium glyconate?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by everready73 View Post
    Good read. I got on the beta alanine train early. I read a couple studies in college back in 2004-06 timeframe and started using it. It really helps with endurance and i have come to enjoy the tingles you get from taking it. It has been a while since i read anything on it, but from my understanding it delays lactic acid build up therefore increasing endurance and as an affect strength.

Creatine is another good, proven supplement i use as well as the basics like fish oil and vit d

I have recently started reading about magnesium and the various types. What are your thoughts on Magnesium glyconate?
    I think you combined two forms into one. Did you mean gluconate or glycinate? Citrate seems to have most of the data and costs less, but they all show good bioavailability. You can also get mixed mag formulas too.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast