Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Retro Added

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Another Retro Added

Well guys, my long awaited search for a nice Colt SP1 Carbine is over. I was at a local gun show this morning with a couple of my 1911s to sell and came across a very nice SP1 Carbine for $1800. I did not have the cash, nor did my two 1911s amount to anywhere near the price. So, I went home, but kept think about what I had that I was willing to try and trade. After lunch and our daily walk, I loaded up my two Remington R1s and a Remington R51 (one that works) and headed back to the show. Needless to say, It was a trade. I know I came out on top as far as value is concerned. Plus, the Colt has a good new home and it will keep all of the other retros company, including my 1977 Colt SP1 rifle. Serial number is SP 149*** which puts it at 1981, according to Colt. It is in really good condition. The BCG has hardly any wear whatsoever. The buttstock looks brand new. It also came with two Colt AR-15 5.56mm 20-round magazines and one Colt AR-15 .223 magazine. Somebody took very good care of this Colt. Anyhow, I just thought I would share. It was a good day. BTW, this is AR15 #33 in my collection.

Last edited by Renegade04; 03-19-15 at 12:59.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    36 (100%)
    That carbine looks great!

Feedback Score
    It may be due to the fact some might consider me to be "retro," but I think it looks awesome! I like the stock, it sets off the whole look of the rifle. Very nice!
    In Hoc Signo Vinces

"The nine most terrifying words in the english language are 'I'm from the Government and I'm here to help'." Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    Upper an lower do not match. Upper looks older than the lower going off the colt grayness on top compared to bottom.
    "Guns are tools; people are the real weapons!"
    - Anonymous
    "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
    - Albert Einstein
    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    - Robert Heinlein

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    So jealous.
    Acta Non Verba

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have to agree. There is a finish/anodizing discrepancy.
    If you are a collector and consider this rifle an investment, you may want to contact Colt to see if this started life as an SP1 Carbine or something else. It should have a 2 pos stock

They may have had an off day when this was assembled but most SP1 carbines have that total Colt Gray.

However if you don't care about such things, it looks like a light and handy rifle.

ETA Actually this might really be one of the original carbines. Especially if it has a 1/12 barrel. The color difference raises a brow, but I compared it to a Sporter II which came later.

Or it was one of the last run SP1 carbines. But that is speculation
    I believe there is a story behind your rifle, sir. And actually this is better than those Remington pistols IMHO
    Last edited by Firefly; 03-19-15 at 00:39.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I have to agree. There is a finish/anodizing discrepancy.
    If you are a collector and consider this rifle an investment, you may want to contact Colt to see if this started life as an SP1 Carbine or something else. It should have a 2 pos stock

They may have had an off day when this was assembled but most SP1 carbines have that total Colt Gray.

However if you don't care about such things, it looks like a light and handy rifle.

ETA Actually this might really be one of the original carbines. Especially if it has a 1/12 barrel. The color difference raises a brow, but I compared it to a Sporter II which came later.

Or it was one of the last run SP1 carbines. But that is speculation
    I believe there is a story behind your rifle, sir. And actually this is better than those Remington pistols IMHO
    Just a FYI, some of the later Colt SP1s were known to have anodizing variations between the uppers and lowers depending on the batch and when they were done. My 1977 Sporter SP1 has a consistent hue between the upper and lower. I have been over this carbine and it is all original. Everything is consistent with a late production SP1.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Copy that, Renegade. It just stood out a bit and the Sporter II spoiled me a bit.

These things are light and handy. Well worth those Remingtons.
    Thanks for sharing

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    Just a FYI, some of the later Colt SP1s were known to have anodizing variations between the uppers and lowers depending on the batch and when they were done. My 1977 Sporter SP1 has a consistent hue between the upper and lower. I have been over this carbine and it is all original. Everything is consistent with a late production SP1.
    Its not that at all. I have a 1976 SP1 that I still have the receipt for (lost that damn box though). Me and a lot of people bought the gun and we didn't know they would be valuable back then. All we wanted to do was make them look like the military's gun. So at gun shows we bought m16 triggers, bolts, hammers, auto sears, disconnectors, selectors, and uppers; just to be cool. I was one of them. We would change out the parts and put in the cool parts. Some of us sold factory colt SP1 triggers, bolts, selectors, and even our uppers. Thank god I kept all my factory parts. Then in 1984 the BATF told us that slam fire AR-15's were illegal. They told us that all M-16 parts were illegal to have in a AR-15's. So most don't have their original parts. I kept my M-16 upper with small front hole and the tear drop forward assist on because I was not a gunsmith then. But that year the gun store I worked at, collected over 2000 M-16 parts. We offered the people who had the illegal AR-15's that they had 3 options. A.) You give us the parts and we give you the correct parts free of charge. B.) you can't leave the store with the gun. And C.) we call the BATF because according to them we had to no matter what (we didn't). So overall no one did option B or C. Colt never had ananizoning issues ever so thats BS. And I put olympic and colt AR-15 triggers, bolts and sometimes uppers back on the gun to be legal. Then the '94 ban hit so people started to dismember the SP1's just to build new AR-15's! But I still had my M-16 upper on my SP1 because I moved from the Republic of Texas to Georgia and I had none of the tools and got a different job. Then in '04 a bunch of SP1 parts floated onto the market so people started building the first gen. of "clones". Then in '09 the SP1 went crazy up in value in factory condition. So I then thought about fixing my colt from my stashed factory upper. Then in 2010 I got all the tools and I rebuilt my colt back to its original state. I used my colt m-16 upper on my next build because I like the A1 Upper so now my collection was a Factory SP1 and a M16 A1 upper on a carbine build. And today 2015 I have over 7 AR-15 style rifles and a Pistol. But I'm keeping my Factory SP1 till the day I die or my son needs it if they ever ban them completely.
    Last edited by ClassIIIGunsmith; 03-19-15 at 16:05.
    "Guns are tools; people are the real weapons!"
    - Anonymous
    "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
    - Albert Einstein
    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    - Robert Heinlein

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassIIIGunsmith View Post
    ........ And today 2015 I have over 7 AR-15 style rifles and a Pistol. But I'm keeping my Factory SP1 till the day I die or my son needs it if they ever ban them completely.
    Today, I have thirty-three AR15s and a KAC SR-25/Mk11 Mod 0. In the vintage area, eight of the ARs are retro clone builds (XM607, XM177E2, 653, an early 723, a late 723, 727, 602, and a 603/M16A1) and the two SP1s.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast