Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily rifle carry in public

Feedback Score
    I don't plan on open carrying a pistol now that it is legal to do so in my state...ditto for open carrying a rifle.

I prefer nobody know a damn thing about what I have or own or my financial status. No flashy cars, watches, clothing and yes...no nice expensive guns out for everyone and his dog to see.

I think you are just begging for trouble by doing this but I do not want to impede your choice to make bad decisions at all so go head on if you wish.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'll say no thanks. If it's to the point that you may actually need a long gun, I'd say shtf is well past and it's dog eat dog....

That would suck, so very badly.

Even in a society as usual, that would still be a pain. I'd carry a long gun broken down or folded in a back pack long before open carry a long gun.

Don't give your threats Intel on what your capable of.

I could see it now. About the time someone press checks their colt ar15 in the applebees everyone would freak the **** out.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Despite the PITA factor, I know I'd carry a rifle in addition to a concealed handgun if a bunch of other people carried rifles openly. The minimum would be a rifle and spare mags in my truck, and a pistol either open or concealed, depending on the situation. I would do that now, except that state and work rules prevent me from doing so.

I think the only way that socially acceptable rifle carry would be realistic is during some kind of major unrest, disaster, or disruption in the normal order of our society, which would change everything, especially our routines and perceived threat level.
    "We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." -Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JulyAZ View Post
    If possible, and while in some locations it is, how many of you would want to carry your rifle with you at all time throughout your day?
    Isn't that called being "in the Infantry?"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I think he means possible as in legal. It's legal in a lot of places, but not necessarily considered accepted behavior.
    "We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." -Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I would carry a rifle, but not in the open. I would carry a concealed handgun and keep a SIG 553 or HK53 in a very discrete courier/laptop bag. The only way I would openly carry a rifle would be if society had completely collapsed.
    Last edited by JoshNC; 03-19-15 at 21:10.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    As many have mentioned, carrying and keeping track of a rifle 24/7 gets old quick, it isn't like a pistol.

If you skyline yourself by OCing anything, unless you intend to trust your safety to the goodwill of all you meet, you always have to be walking around in condition orange, which is more stressful than always being in yellow. You in essence up the penalty for any lapse of awareness if you are OCing.

I'd do it but only if I also got to wear a tactical ball cap with a 'I'm A Sheepdog' morale patch and a t-shirt that said 'Sheeple - I'm Your Savior'

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Business_Casual View Post
    Isn't that called being "in the Infantry?"
    Been there, done that, got out.

I worked three jobs for two years, so I could put a down payment on a house in a really nice suburb. I now pay property taxes so that the local PD can issue SBR's to the guys on patrol. And I'm perfectly happy with that.

If I need to hump a rifle everywhere I go every day, I'm moving again. Screw that grunt stuff, I have the bad back and knees to show what a pain that was.

If I think I need a rifle someplace, I just don't go there. (See the Rule of the Three Stupids) I ain't a Lance Coolie anymore, they can't order me to go someplace I don't want to be.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    As many have mentioned, carrying and keeping track of a rifle 24/7 gets old quick, it isn't like a pistol.

If you skyline yourself by OCing anything, unless you intend to trust your safety to the goodwill of all you meet, you always have to be walking around in condition orange, which is more stressful than always being in yellow. You in essence up the penalty for any lapse of awareness if you are OCing.

I'd do it but only if I also got to wear a tactical ball cap with a 'I'm A Sheepdog' morale patch and a t-shirt that said 'Sheeple - I'm Your Savior'
    No 5.11 pants?? What about your fixed blade knife with the giant sawteeth on the back?

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sevenhelmet View Post
    I think he means possible as in legal. It's legal in a lot of places, but not necessarily considered accepted behavior.
    Unless it's socially acceptable - barring total societal collapse - I wouldn't open carry a rifle.

Now, in a discrete case or tennis racket case? Different story.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast