Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rare Failure Or Not?, it stopped the gun from running

Feedback Score

Rare Failure Or Not?, it stopped the gun from running

Shooting yesterday, and had a few primers (un Crimped) come out and float around in lower. Cleaned one primer from under trigger group. Took rifle to school today and bang. Single shot only....

Found primer material clogged inside gas key. About .6" inside. Can get it out. Is this a known matter or is this a freak deal. Seems like the stars had to align just right to get that aligned and timed perfect.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    It happened in Iraq several times with our BMs and 5.56 ammo. I have heard of about this happening about a dozen times since. When it happens its either crappy ammo or tight chamber.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    XM193 had issues with blown primers, not sure what ammo you were using

Feedback Score
    Yeah XM193. Stopped the whole dog gone show. Another reason to have a spare bcg

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    We had this type of crap happening on one of Pappabear's LMTs a year to two back. XM193... I think Iraqgunz gauged the weapon and cleared it of being the source of the popped primers.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I had the same thing happen at a Triton Concepts class with the same ammo 2 years ago. In this case a spare upper saved the day. FWIW the upper was a BCM 14.5 LW middie. I've had primers popped before but that was the only time it locked it up.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The last and only time I have had to deal with blown primers was several years ago with some PRVI PARTISAN 5.56 55gr. ammo. I stopped shooting it and have not had a problem since.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Just remember to break the entire gun down. When this had happened to me, every time I thought I had found all the offending material, I found a little bit more. Finally took it down all the way (including receiver extension and buffer), and blew it out with compressed air. it was a good chance to clean it up anyway

Sent from 80ms in the future
    Much peace
    Jimmy

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I was getting regular popped primers with independence 55gr. Stopped using that and haven't had a problem since.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I've only had it happen to me once personally, and that was shooting MK 262 out of my M4, this was after shooting 30 or so magazines of M855 and M855A1 without cleaning or adding any additional lube after the initial application of slip 2000. I once had a primer almost get blown out of the case, Camp Robinson, AR, early morning in Feb at SDM school, ammo was M855, rifle, M16-A4, was clean ish.
    Last edited by rero360; 03-23-15 at 12:31.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast