Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Which Body Armor?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Can civilians even buy a PACA LevelIII low vis vest?
    Paul A. Hotaling
    Alias Training & Security Services, LLC
    Paul@aliastraining.com
    757-215-1959 (Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM)
    757-985-9586 (After Hours)
    www.aliastraining.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Dinger - talk to Stephen at ATS...

back to BALCS etc.

I've run a RAV and now CIRAS-M. I find (for my use) the intergrated system is best (I need more real estate than a PC offers). I've tried other systems before - both set armor and vest -amd soft and PC/TV's. I know gusy that prefer the opposite so I'd put it to personal prefernce as well as job description.

I have both Paraclete and ProTech IIIA Soft Armor - and Protech LIV and Bulletproofme.coms LIII Poly plates, each fufill a role.

I hate to be a baglicker (esp since I see Ben is on board now) but I find the CIRAS-M too be a 100% improvment over the 2004RAV I had -- and way beyond the CIRAS-L which I hate.. .(so much for sucking up). The CIRAS_M is extremly close fitting (much more comfortable) and unlike the RAV and CIRAS-L does not "sway" or have Cumberbund issues.
    oh and it costs less than the RAV...

Feedback Score
    Doc, thanks BIG TIME! I tried to digest as much of that as I could and make sense of it all.

I wasn't asking just for myself either. My GF is a sworn officer. Took a look
    at her issue vest (Zero-G) and what did I find there? Level II Gold 4.0 panels.
    Now, Safariland certainly doesn't seem to out of their way to actually tell you on their website what the panels are made of but I DID manage to dig THIS up:

Brand: ZERO G GOLD, Model: LEVEL II, Commodity# 68008118046
    SAFARILAND, ZERO G GOLD BALLISTIC VEST WITH 5 X 8" SOFT TRAUMA DEVICE AND CARRIER. SPECIFICATIONS: - NIJ THREAT LEVEL: II - VERSION NUMBER: 4.0 - PANEL WEIGHT** AREAL WT. (LBS); .74 (GRAMS/DEC SQ): 36 - THICKNESS INCHES: .16 MILLIMETERS: 4.1 - V-50S (FPS) 9MM: 1591 - 9MM RPI (V-50/AW)*** 2035 - CONSTRUCTION: HYBRID - MATERIAL: GOLDFLEX, KEVLAR, SPECTRA- SHIELD-PLUS - STYLES (SHAPE) ...
    To me, the layperson, this looks like a Goldflex/Kevlar hybrid vest, am I right here? With the pitfall being that its not resistant to contact shots?

Feedback Score
    JLM,

You are correct in your assumptions re. this "Gold" vest. Note that the Safariland "Silver" package has demonstrated better protective qualities than their more expensive "Gold" and "Platinum" packages...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR
    JLM,

You are correct in your assumptions re. this "Gold" vest. Note that the Safariland "Silver" package has demonstrated better protective qualities than their more expensive "Gold" and "Platinum" packages...
    Thanks Gary. That does not give me a 'warm fuzzy' knowing that is what she is wearing. Its probably what the whole department is wearing as well

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JLM
    Thanks Gary. That does not give me a 'warm fuzzy' knowing that is what she is wearing. Its probably what the whole department is wearing as well
    ETA: I might try to persuede them to 'contact shoot' one of their spare vests if they have any. What's the safeest way to do it?

Also, while I know who you are and your creds, the powers that be here probably do not. Do you have a CV available somewhere? That way they won't just bat their eyes and say 'whatever, that's just stuff on the Errornet'.

Thanks man

Feedback Score
    This has been one of the most informative threads I've read about BA on the internet. I think your choice is context-driven; if you are already wearing soft armor, then a PC w/cumberbund makes the most sense. If you're not wearing any armor and need to jock up, then the CIRAS type unit makes the most sense. Ironically, this is also the best choice for planned (more or less) tactical/ high risk work.
    One saw, oft repeated, is it's better to have slightly less coverage or threat level pro and wear it all the time, than have the top of the line stuff and never wear it cuz it's so darn hot and heavy. A good level II vest, with some in-conjunction plates at the ready might be a good way to go. I'm also looking at steel plates again for the reduced thickness and weight.
    Working for Crossfire Australia, a military rucksack and load-bearing equipment company. Still doing limited design and development of nylon LBE.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB
    Dinger - talk to Stephen at ATS...

back to BALCS etc.

I've run a RAV and now CIRAS-M. I find (for my use) the intergrated system is best (I need more real estate than a PC offers). I've tried other systems before - both set armor and vest -amd soft and PC/TV's. I know gusy that prefer the opposite so I'd put it to personal prefernce as well as job description.

I have both Paraclete and ProTech IIIA Soft Armor - and Protech LIV and Bulletproofme.coms LIII Poly plates, each fufill a role.

I hate to be a baglicker (esp since I see Ben is on board now) but I find the CIRAS-M too be a 100% improvment over the 2004RAV I had -- and way beyond the CIRAS-L which I hate.. .(so much for sucking up). The CIRAS_M is extremly close fitting (much more comfortable) and unlike the RAV and CIRAS-L does not "sway" or have Cumberbund issues.
    oh and it costs less than the RAV...

KevinB,

A few questions,

How long have you owned and worn the CIRAS_M?

Are there any drawbacks in your opinion to daily wear?

What job descriptions would you state the CIRAS_M would limit you in if at all?

Thanks
    USMC
    " We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " -George Orwell

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345