Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Body Armor?

Feedback Score
    I completed a contract to train those personnel using the CIRAS in its use.
    I am confident of my information.
    The errornet is that way because of poor input.
    I'd be happy to have a discussion when you are signing my contracts

Feedback Score
    Pardon my error in judgment in offering a discussion. Please disregard my last then.

Darrin

Feedback Score
    There's no need for anyone to be upset.

The reason we are here is to share information and dispel the misinformation that is out there.

Discussion is good, getting upset is not.

Feedback Score
    OK I have to admit, I'm a newb to the armor thing. I was reading Pat's class announcement and thinking about next year-I'm about tapped out of training dollars for this year.
    For us newbs what is BALC?
    How is it different thatn CIRAS?
    Why does Eagle offer a Maritime version? The squid in me is dying to know.

Feedback Score
    BALCS = body armor load carrying system

actually a system component under the SPEAR program of the late 90's, has been reduced to the generic 'name'/reference for that particular style of cut pattern.

Feedback Score
    the CIRAS is Eagle's answer to the question of a releasable armor "CARRIER" that is designed to accept BALCS cut panels whether they be mil issue or civilian.

It is markedly better in several areas over the original BALCS cover. 1) Single point Pillow Releasable - once deployed the ENTIRE rig will dissassemble thus freeing the wearer of additional weight and obstructions. A necessary functionality for those involved in water/heloborne activities 2) PALS coverage so that you can carry ammo, water and a slight amount of pogey line bait. 3) Better degree of construction, far more secure method of plate retention.

While there is a superficial resemblance between the two, about the only shared commonality between the Eagle CIRAS and Paraclete RAV is the releasability feature.

Feedback Score
    So what does that Mean?

BALCS = Issue special operations-centric soft ballistics and hard armor with carrier

CIRAS = Eagle's releasable BALCS armor carrier, designed to carry BALCS cut soft armor panels that are either mil or civ in origin.

RAV = Paraclete's releasable armor carrier

There are two variations of the CIRAS, a LAND (with cummerbund) and a MARITIME variant (with no cummerbund).

As far as why there were two variations and why certain organizations opted to go the Maritime route is info I am NOT privy to, nor do I claim to know.

RLCS, based on open source information is the RANGER load carrying system, which by all appearances seems to be the RANGER GREEN variation of the KHAKI MLCS system, aside from that obvious difference, I am hard pressed to note the differences between the two aside from differences in material and hardware color.

Then you can add all the 'other' xLCS systems currently in or already out of development from Eagle.....

Tired yet? In the end, its all nylon... cordura with secureTack stitching

Feedback Score
    let me reclarify

BALCS is an integrated system that was part of "SPEAR" program that consisted of a backpack system (um-21) produced by Gregory and Bianchi, the body armor package (Ceradyne) and finally the ELCS (enhanced load carrying system) by safariland.

first appeared in the 1998/1999 timeframe.

Confused yet?

Feedback Score
    Egg-

Thanks for the details. I didn't know any of this and it really helps. Eagle mentioned Protective Products as a source for armor inserts. I was going to give them a call. Do you have any other vendors to recommend?

Stephen

Feedback Score
    STeed

PPI is what I run in my CIRAS, dont have a PoC for PPI but they had been recommended a few times over and when the opportunity came up, pricing seemed reasonable and I acquired a set for my "dont shoot me" vest

Please dont take what I said earlier as any sort of an attack or attempt to sway a "not to buy" decision, but the CIRAS option comes up ALOT in certain AR forums, namely because its the 'coolest' thing/CDI gadget around. And many times over people dont consider the options or use/functionality implications of what a particular platform may incur or have for a particular user. While it is a decent platform for what it is designed to do (I believe it does a better overall job than the RAV) the CIRAS is not for everybody.

In your case, you may want to revisit the Eagle Plate Carrier with cummerbund to be used in conjunction with your duty protective vest.

If you would still like to go the BALC outervest route, you may want to investigate the LE variant of the CIRAS... essentially the same overall planform but without the releasable function and commensurately lower overall price.

Either way, give Ben Lenett ben.lenett@eagleindustries.com a call and see what he can do for you.

Cheers and best of luck.

Darrin

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast