Thread: What's wrong with my knee-how to fix it?

Feedback Score

What's wrong with my knee-how to fix it?

My knee hurts and is tight. I'm not overweight and I'm not flat footed. Problem seems worse after work.

It only hurts when I point my toes IN and flex my leg (heel to ass). It begins with a straight foot and the more in I turn it in, the less I can flex the leg. Only one leg, other is completely fine. This happened a few months ago, went away, and now is back. Any thoughts?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not to be a smart ass but a lot on this forum know how to inflict pain. Not so much how to stop it. Unless we are talking putting you out of your misery. In which point you may have a rather impressive list of how to go out.

That all said. I'd check with a physician. Could be nothing other than a strain that needs some stretching or could be worse. Not worth changing to me with internet doctoring.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    Where is the pain? Outside (lateral)? Inside (medial)? Front (anterior)? Rear (posterior)?
    It's not about surviving, it's about winning!

Feedback Score
    Front inside of the knee and in the back when taking a shoe off. I have a jump stretch band I'll use to work it - feels tight. I though if someone here knew I could get quicker resolution targeting specifics than stretching/working the whole thing.

Definately feels like it's something tight/swollen a little maybe, not anything torn.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Go see a doctor. No way to accurately diagnose your issue without someone getting hands on your body and getting a better explanation than it hurts.

Think about things like when did it start, what were you doing any potential impact twisting turning...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    "Go to the Doctor"

<-- been to lots of docs, for all manner of joint issues, had lots of cortisone, braces, x-rays, mri's etc….

Some things I've figured out (may not be for you - but it is for me) - unless there is structural damage, this issue is most likely related to inflammation. The cause of inflammation can come from a variety of sources, but one way or another it all flows back to a "rest and recuperation + stretch and strengthen" thing. Usually what hurts, hurts b/c it is the tail end of a series of issues up and down the line. As a result the body compensates, and the weakest link is what fails. Muscle imbalances, tight muscles, and sedentary jobs are the major culprits. Salvation for most lies in purposeful, daily, measured physical effort.

This is also what is not typically discussed at the Dr's office - b/c there is no money it.

There is a lot of power in OTC analgesics + ice + heat + a foam roller + a plan. You'd be amazed what can be accomplished by looking at a diagram of the body to find the area that hurts and then googling the issue which typically leads you to a PT session on YouTube and then a series of YouTubes on stretching and strengthening for the issue.

Just one example - I used to have significant knee pain - couldn't run a mile without incurring significant pain for the next 3 weeks. The doc ordered scans right off the bat to confirm 'nothing structural', followed by would you like a shot? "Come back and see me if it doesn't improve"… Eh….On my own I started cluing into IT Band issues (the fix is similar to my occasional piriformis issues / sciatica as well). Now I run between 20 and 25 miles a week.

Western Medicine - it's a business.

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    Sounds like a doctor problem. I had similar problems with my knee and I had a lateral miniscus tear, but for all I know, your ACL is broken.

FYI, my doc told me if I had gone adn seen him before I locked my knee, then I could have avoided surgery all together and just done physical therapy. Doctor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Marines love CLP. Chow, libo, pussy.

Beyond that everything else is a crap shoot.

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mo_Zam_Beek View Post
    Just one example - I used to have significant knee pain - couldn't run a mile without incurring significant pain for the next 3 weeks. The doc ordered scans right off the bat to confirm 'nothing structural', followed by would you like a shot? "Come back and see me if it doesn't improve"… Eh….On my own I started cluing into IT Band issues (the fix is similar to my occasional piriformis issues / sciatica as well). Now I run between 20 and 25 miles a week.

Western Medicine - it's a business.
    There is a lot of wisdom in this post. Get the inflamation down, go see a PT dude (maybe at a gym, but they may try to sell you more sessions), and get stronger. My back (healed) and knee (healed) were bothering me for a long time until i started doing simple, at home exercises. I do squats while holding onto a table (even though I can comfortable squat 200 at the gym, these help), stretching my periformis, stretching out of hams, quads, and calfs while trying to increase ankle mobility. No back problems, no knee problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Marines love CLP. Chow, libo, pussy.

Beyond that everything else is a crap shoot.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    look into an Orthopedic surgeon or doc. they will be able to diagnose quicker and then not go to a second doc when the first general practice doc refers you to them.