Thread: Volkswagen Golf --2.5L

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Volkswagen Golf --2.5L

I am considering the purchase of a used 2013--2014 Golf with the 2.5 L 5 cylinder engine.

Do any members have experience with this engine/model?

I am not looking to tune the engine and recreate the chase scenes from Fast and Furious. Just looking for a hatchback that I can toss my range gear into and commute to work.

My coworkers swear by VW's. One has a diesel engine. The other has a 2.0 T. My net surfing indicates that the 2015 golf has the new 1.8 turbo engine.

Are there any known issues with the 2.5 L? Is it worth waiting a bit and getting the newer engine?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I have a 2013 PASSAT with that same engine, although the salesperson told me that for the PASSAT it is geared differently than the Jetta or Golf.

So far I haven't had any problem with it. I really like the car/engine, it gets very good gas mileage and surprisingly powerful for highway merging, etc.

I don't see the interest with the Fast and Furious deal and have no interest in turning my car into anything other than a comfortable and reliable transportation

Good luck to your endeavor.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by signal4l View Post
    I am considering the purchase of a used 2013--2014 Golf with the 2.5 L 5 cylinder engine.

Do any members have experience with this engine/model? Are there any known issues with the 2.5 L? Is it worth waiting a bit and getting the newer engine?
    You need to join a VW enthusiast's site, and ask your question there. There's no substitute for asking questions, and getting answers from, people that really know what they're talking about.
    Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus (519 BC – 430 BC) Power should only be given to those that want it least.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Im a fan of the Golf, especially the GTI. I have several friends with VW products and they all appear to be pretty reliable cars. However when something does go wrong it is expensive to fix. Thought to be fair only one of them have had a problem that actually affected the driving of the car. His fuel pump went out on his TDi diesel Passat. Luckily it was still under warranty as it was like 5 grand to replace.

Just to throw another option out there. My wife bought a 2008 Scion Xb in January 2008. Has 117k miles on it now and has zero mechanical problems. The only time its been in the shop other than routine maintenance was for a dash trim piece that came loose when the holding clip broke. Toyota replaced it for free with no hassle in about 20 minutes. It has great room in it and can haul a lot of crap if you fold the seat down. She averages 27 mpg with it. For a car that was 17 grand new I have been thoroughly impressed with it.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Good info. Thanks